Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

51 minutes ago, illuknisaa said:

How much smaller?

The smaller, the better. Can't tell you anything more useful. After all, it's just my guess. Another guess is that only the number of adjancent linedefs affects performance, not the area size. But maybe it's vice versa. Or even entirely untrue.

Hey, quick Nodebuilder question: I'm working on a big-ass map which currently has 32k sidedefs and GZDB is starting to lag sometimes after I draw stuff. I was originally using ZenNode-Normal, in which the editor started struggling very soon. I then switched to ZenNode-Fast, which was mostly cool until my sidedef count went over 30k. Which is the fastest Nodebuilder to use in the editor for large maps? Also, which builder is best used to save the final version with?

Node buildes aren't generally well comparable (I think I've been explaining this before), so instead of asking which is the best one (for some kind of maps), you'd rather try all of them one by one until you find a satisfactory one for your specific map. However: Once the number of segs exceeds 32k, the map can't use standard nodes, so you'll need either ZDBSP to generate ZDoom extended nodes, or (less preferably) DeepBSP to generate Deep nodes, or (possibly if the map is GL-only) GLBSP to generate GL nodes - then, of course, the compatibility of the map will be restricted to ports that support the respective nodes.

Redefine the pistol's Fire state so that, instead of A_FirePistol, it will simultaneously call A_FireBullets and A_PlaySound. Similarly with the chaingun, but you may need to redefine its Flash state as well, because A_FireChaingun has a special effect on it.

Damn.

I just wanna change the Chaingun's annoying sound. This sounds kinda weird. Do you have any links to relevant documentation on editing DECORATE? Never done it before.

Hm I guess I'd have to change the Chaingunner's weapon sound too.

It might just be easier to replace the Pistol and Chaingun sound, and then just redefine the Pistol sound. Then I won't have to edit the extra thing with the Chaingun flash.

11 minutes ago, Praetor said:

I just wanna change the Chaingun's annoying sound.

Never done [DECORATE] before.

In that case, just write a SNDINFO with this content:

weapons/chngun MYSOUND

Where MYSOUND is the name of your custom sound lump. Then you need no DECORATE at all.

If you wanted to learn DECORATE, read the pages linked from this page: https://zdoom.org/wiki/DECORATE

And anytime you need documentation for something related to ZDoom, just go to the zdoom wiki.

22 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

What's a good source for learning the ins and outs of GZDoom Builder and UMDF editing?

Read the Refmanual, which is included with every release of GZDBBF, GZDB, and later DB2, updated with new features as they apply.

Spoiler

foXxhMS.png

Also the Help tab on the right panel (I don't mean the main top panel) inside GZDB - it provides context sensitive hints depending on which mode you're in.

is it actually possible to make rpg system(leveling, experience, damage, etc, etc) in zdoom? if yes how hard can it be to make this?

1. I'm sure that yes, either via ACS, DECORATE, ZScript, or their combination.

2. "Intermediate", I guess? If you know what you're doing, it should be no problem, and if you don't, you'd better learn more about the respective scripting languages before attempting something of that scope.

17 hours ago, Marlamir said:

is it actually possible to make rpg system(leveling, experience, damage, etc, etc) in zdoom? if yes how hard can it be to make this?

Here's an example, made for Zandronum: Wrath of Cronos.

Hey, this may be somewhat obscure so bear with me: Boom format. Is it possible to make the "wall of the sky" open to reveal, say a monster closet full of Cacos, beyond the playable boundary of the map? Here's a diagram of what I mean (first person view): Red being the blood floor. Brown/grey being the wall containing the playable area. And the dark red plus being the monster closet full of flyers that looks like a rift in the sky background. 

ub6Tg0s.png

Edit: Got it working in the GLBoom+ but it HOMs like crazy in Software mode. Then again, the geometry in the outer area has a seizure in Software when you look around so whatever, I guess.

UahtXX7.png

Edited by Spectre01

Sky on the lower side of a 2-sided line always causes HOM in software renderer if the player's view is below the level of the floor on the line's back side. That's the only thing spoiling your idea. Middle/upper sides could avoid HOM if done properly.

Firstly, don't use any untextured 1-sided lines, those always result in a HOM in software renderer - the proper way of making sky on middle walls is to make a thin sector next to the wall, with floor height equal to the floor height of the sector in front of it, ceiling height equal to its own floor height, and a sky flat must be on the ceiling of both this thin sector and the sector in front of it. Secondly, if the ceiling is sky, the upper texture doesn't matter, a sky will be rendered in its place anyway - so, to make sky on upper walls, just make sure that both sectors on the line's front and back side have a sky ceiling.

Just an idea, it would be neat if you could get the plus to unfold and reveal its self. 

Showing nothing but the sky at first glance, but when triggered/activated the plus unfolds and a monster spawns in the plus area.

Well I suppose unfold wouldn't be the word but floor/ceiling moves to specific heights.

@Mr.Rocket That's how it currently works in OpenGL. Nothing but the sky is visible beyond the wall and then, after flipping a switch, the "rift" is exposed with a lowering floor + rising ceiling to create the plus/cross shape. I'll see what can be done about it looking right in Software mode.

Is it possible to draw a Sky on a middle texture?  Specifically one you can then apply translucency to?

I presumed there must be a GZDoom linedef action for this, but I can't see anything.

I don't think I've ever tried it intentionally but it might work on type 160, if not it may become white noise or HOM.

That doesn't look easy, i know only basic of zdoom scripting so that will be long time work for sure. Do any of you know What is the best place to learn zdoom scripting except wiki?Thank you @Empyreand @Not Jabba for examples, they look like great starting point.

Thanks again

@Spectre01: Based on what Scifista42 said, it looks like you need to lose the lowering floors and use only raising ceilings to make the plus reveal itself. Even then, you will still have trouble with the sky below the plus. If you were to make it a rectangle or an inverted T, at ground level, which opens like a door, then it should work with no problems. You can't have any sky below it and expect it to work in software. If you are creative enough, you can figure out a way to make it look good without sky below it. For example, you could have a flight of stairs or a wall that also appears when the rift appears to hide the fact that there is no sky below it.

@Marlamir: The wiki is how I learned DECORATE and ACS.

edit: nvm there was an option in 'game configurations'

(The question was about doing doom 1 format maps in gzdoom builder)

Edited by Spie812

On lundi 30 octobre 2017 at 6:11 PM, Bauul said:

Is it possible to draw a Sky on a middle texture?  Specifically one you can then apply translucency to?

I presumed there must be a GZDoom linedef action for this, but I can't see anything.

No, the closest you can get to a special linedef action for that is the line_horizon special. If you want the sky and just the sky you have to use a sector behind it with sky floor, sky ceiling, and line_horizon walls.

There is an option to transfer a portal effect to a linedef. But even that will require some setup here. I guess the best option is to use the Eternity-style horizon portal which allows a different model sector for the horizon effect than the adjacent one.

I have a problem with a mod I'm making, I want to make the Chaingunner use the pistol sound when firiing, so I make a new actor replacing him and uses attacksound "DSPISTOL" But now when he fires it's silent?

My code:

Actor Commando : ChaingunGuy replaces ChaingunGuy
{
AttackSound "DSPISTOL"
}