Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

I am using gzDoom. What could be a reason of these sprites not rendering correctly using software renderer on some simple 3D floor setup? I have 3D floors is lots of other places, but just this one renders incorrectly.

The problem doesn't occur in OpenGL mode.

It's just that ZDoom's renderer is imperfect. I've seen other instances where it didn't clip things properly against 3D floors. Try drawing some additional lines/sectors between the things and the point from which the glitch is visible, possibly set brightness of these sectors to slightly different values on each side of these lines - no guarantee of success, though.

No luck with manipulating light and lines. Perhaps more of such effects will occur in other places once I start adding weapons and enemies (spirtes). I think I will just make a remark in the .txt file that OpenGL renderer should be used to play this map - if I finish it ;)

I myself play mainly using OpenGL but there is a good load of nostalgia in the software renderer that I ocasionally switch to it and I would like my levels to be playable and rendering correctly.

I've got a 64 unit height difference between floors and 3, 16 height steps, between them. The steps are 256x64 in length and width. Now, for some reason Cyberdemons can't figure out how to walk up and down those stairs, while the other monsters can. How can I make those steps Cyber-friendly?

17 hours ago, mgr_inz_rafal said:

I am using gzDoom. What could be a reason of these sprites not rendering correctly using software renderer on some simple 3D floor setup?

The software renderer for 3D floors is flawed but "good enough in most cases". There was a rewrite going on ages ago, but it was never finished, and the rest of the code has changed so much since that picking it back up would probably be difficult.

Newbie here. I'm wondering...Is this bad? As in possibly game breaking later on when I finalize my wad with all the maps? when I test the maps I'm creating it seems everything is fine, but I get a bunch of errors in GZDoom Builder everytime I open the maps, why is that? I can't load ''Doom 2'' and ''Hell On Earth Starter Pack'' together as resources? They are conflictual somehow? 

0oiU0zF.jpg

X1QXLQn.jpg

It's a problem of hellonearthstarterpack.wad alone, not its combination with Doom2.wad. The former apparently isn't well made and double-defines its own custom stuff. Since it works anyway, ignore it.

I have a question relating to GZDB - Is there a way to automatically tag selected lines, sectors or things within a specified range? For example, there's the automatic brightness gradient tool, if you select a series of sectors in order, then click the LightGradient button, the sectors lights will gradient from the 1st selected sector to the last selected sector - I want this but with tags.

Example: I was working in boom format and wanted to apply a sky transfer to 70 tagged sectors, which means 70 linedefs all tagged accordingly. It would be super convenient if you could set the 1st line to tag 1, the last line to tag 70, select all lines then hit an 'AutoTag' button.

Is this an existing feature? Thanks in advance for any help. :D

Select multiple lines, open their properties, write a tag number to the tag field, prefix the tag number with ">=", then the first selected line will get this tag and each next selected line will get tag 1 higher than the previous line.

1 hour ago, scifista42 said:

Select multiple lines, open their properties, write a tag number to the tag field, prefix the tag number with ">=", then the first selected line will get this tag and each next selected line will get tag 1 higher than the previous line.

That's a very useful tip! I'm guessing this works for Sectors and Things too?

I've yet to test this (currently at work) but you've just saved me a tonne of future time. Thank you!

I know other math operators such as ++, --, * & / work, but what else is there that can be used to such effect? :)

30 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

but what else is there that can be used to such effect? :)

It's all in the hints.

When I started creating my maps, I added Doom2, TNT and Plutonia as resources in GZDB

to have access to as many textures as possible.

I got all used textures to work in prboom-plus & GZDooM by loading the wad with Doom2 as an iwad

and merging tnt.wad and plutonia.wad.

As far as I can tell it is pretty uncommon to play a wad with more than 1 "iwad".

Could i just instruct people to use these specific parameters, or should I eliminate the used Final Doom textures?

I'd suggest using tools to clean out unused textures so you should be able to remove most of the Final Doom content and keep only the textures you actually used.

I used SLADEs "remove unused textures / patches" function to plean out all the final doom textures

it worked, however now all of the switches - while still usable - dont change their texture and dont make a sound when used

I guess its because SLADE removed all of the SW2 textures from the wad

is there an easy way to fix this, or to readd the missing textures?

Undo removing textures and do it again while making sure that switch and sky textures are unchecked in the list that shows up when you click "remove unused textures".

Sorry for doubleposting, but the issue seems to be different

the switches work fine in GZDooM, but with prboom-plus they dont

I had this problem before, but got around it by using the appropriate complevel flags (complevel 9 in this case)

but even though I set the correct complevel, it still won't work :/

only that door & lift switches work fine, but ceiling / floor switches dont

I have no idea...

EDIT:

23 minutes ago, lunoir said:

the issue seems to be different

the switches work fine in GZDooM, but with prboom-plus they dont

I might have got confused: So does the sector action fail to be triggered, or is it just the animation of the switch texture that fails to play?

Possible causes of action failing to be triggered:

-There is another action linedef (even a non-switch one) between the player and the switch linedef, and the former linedef blocks the player's attempt to press the latter one.

-The switch's action is ZDoom-specific or relies on a zdoomism to work as you set it up.

Possible cause of animation failing to play:

-The switch is defined in ANIMDEFS, which is a ZDoom-specific lump.

-The wad contains a custom SWITCHES lump that doesn't define this switch's animation, which would make even a stock switch stop working.

Edited by scifista42

All of the switches are doom/boom actions

and its alot of switches, so there isn't a linedef blocking in each case

and there is no switches lump (though I use animdefs)

EDIT: So, the switch textures that don't work in your maps, are they stock or custom ones?

stock

but there are stock switches that work (triggering doors & lifts)

and those that dont work (everything else)

the actions work, the animations & souind dont

(i just mentioned the animated lump because im not sure whether that can interfere)

Which exact action doesn't work? If it's a generalized one, post its parameters.

I'm still not sure whether the issue is more connected with the switch's textures or with the switch's actions. Try to find it out by changing around both textures and actions and observe which switches start or stop working after these changes.

Edited by scifista42

166 - ceiling raise to highest ceiling

221 - floor lower to nearest floor

127 - stairs raise by 16 (fast)

46 - GR door open stay

Do you use them with a non-zero tag? (But then the actions wouldn't work properly, so this shouldn't be the issue.)

Is there a switch texture on multiple sides (upper, lower, middle) of the same linedef? If so, remove it from the sides where it's not needed.

Edited by scifista42