Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

3 hours ago, scifista42 said:

There is no repeatable lower-ceiling-to-highest-floor action.

Oops! It has been a while since I mapped in vanilla, nearly a decade. I have gotten used to being able to make anything repeatable. Even Boom format can do this via generalized actions.

On jeudi 1 février 2018 at 0:46 AM, Zemini said:

Before I start doing it, can I use ANIMDEF for a Interpic, Titlepic, ect?  Or does that only work for in game textures/flats?

It should work for any graphic.

Is there any way to locate monster's locations in GZDoom/PRboom+? I made a rather large map, and after playing through it at least 8 times, I always end up with 1 monster unaccounted for:

Capture1212121234.PNG.7b4266b8bd520b659aba535a49468cd8.PNG

I've even used IDCLIP to search the map several times, but each time I can neither find nor hear the monster anywhere in the map. It's like there's a ghost hidden somewhere, lol. If anyone could help me out, I'd appreciate it, thanks.

Open the automap and type IDDT twice to make it show things. Living monsters will be shown as red triangles in PrBoom-plus. GZDoom shows all things as white by default, but you can change the color for monsters in Automap Options.

I actually remembered which monster it was right after I made the post, go figure. It was a revenant I had placed early on inside a hollowed out pillar, right around a bunch of other monsters. I was planning on making the pillar open up, but scrapped that early on and just kind of forgot about it. Thanks for the answer though, I'll be sure to use this in the future. 

Yeah, you can use the automap cheat in GZDoom. You can also use the "monster" console command to get a list of all monsters with their coordinates.

Likewise, there are console commands for "items", "countitems", and "secret". Though that last one only works if the map has a list of secrets defined in a special lump, so usually it'll do nothing. I'm only aware of ZDCMP2 using this feature.

Crusing Ceilings.

What is the best way to make crushing ceiling stop .. then raise back to default?  Otherwise the player will not be able to pass through them if they stop too low.  Thanks.

Presumably, any sort of ceiling raise action (like a stay-open door) should work on stopped crushers.

Is it at all possible to change where the text starts on the episode selection screen in Ultimate Doom? I've run into the issue of having an episode name that is too long to actually fit on the screen. Once I created the graphic and checked it out in game, the last word went off the screen.

I'm a total editing noob so sorry if I'm explaining this poorly. Essentially what I'm asking is if I can scoot the episode titles (eg Knee-Deep in the Dead ) over to the left a bit from where they currently sit, to allow myself more room on longer worded titles. I would like to be able to afford myself all the space I can get so that anyone playing on low resolutions ( like myself ) won't run into this problem when viewing the episode selection screen in my wad.

Edit: I'm a dummy. I just realized I can change the offset of the graphics in Slade to get them where I want :P

I'm not 100% certain if this is a good idea, but hey, it's exactly what I was looking for!

Only problem now is of course that the selection skull hovers over the text, so yeah. Still probably not the best way to go about doing this.

Edited by Miss Bubbles

5 hours ago, Miss Bubbles said:

episode name that is too long to actually fit on the screen. Once I created the graphic and checked it out in game, the last word went off the screen.

Make the name multiline.

Edited by scifista42

4 hours ago, V0idH0und said:

I need to convert a Doom format map to UDMF, any converters out there that still work?

Basically the conversion is a two step process:

1. convert the pwad in DOOM2 format to the Doom in Hexen format with Zwadconv.exe

2. convert the pwad in Doom in Hexen format pwad to UDMF

See the tutorial linked to

Edited by Kappes Buur

17 hours ago, Kappes Buur said:

Basically the conversion is a two step process:

1. convert the pwad in DOOM2 format to the Doom in Hexen format with Zwadconv.exe

2. convert the pwad in Doom in Hexen format pwad to UDMF

See the tutorial linked to

Thank you very much! :)

Not really a editing question, but I am in search of textures that represent Metal and Flesh.  Skintek is a great example but I need more stuff.  Any suggestions?

So I put in the Heretic Pods and they work fine.  However, the ones spawned by the generator do not have a death sound.  Is there something I am missing?

Good evening, gentlemen. I'm in a bit of a pickle and I need help pronto, since I'm on a time constraint. Google could not answer my question so I decided to rush to the closest professional-looking Doom editing site for help, my apologies if this is the wrong section to post stuff like this.

I'm currently working on a WAD that features a large, open map with a rural theme to it. Unfortunately, a glaring graphical glitch spoils the experience. There are no missing textures or conflicting sectors anywhere, I've triple-checked for both. However, I've noticed this only happens once you're very far from the line you're facing. It occurs largely in and around the center of the sector. I have attempted to solve the issue by placing a wall into the center of the sector, but as you see it didn't do much. Changing textures didn't help either.

Spoiler

tear.png.e2427d11ecfedd9d6def872dc97891aa.png

Here's the map in the builder itself, the red cross marks the place where I took the picture above but you get the same sight on the other side of the sector as well. Disregard the small location in the middle, it's just a tiny practice area with nothing much in it.

Spoiler

vertices.png.6179ba6affee457b780b8cd10ce502aa.png

Is there a rendering distance limitation that I'm unaware of or did I just screw something up? I have no custom textures or mods installed in the wad and my tools are up to date; I'm using GZDoom 3.2.5, GZDoom Builder 2.3 and Slade 3.1.1.5. Any help is greatly appreciated, as I'm a bit of a novice in wad-making.

26 minutes ago, Xerm said:

Is there a rendering distance limitation that I'm unaware of

A Doom map functions most reliably when all components of said map fit inside a 32767 square area. Exceeding this can produce unpredictable results in node building, simulation and rendering due to various overflows that are likely still relevant to GZDoom.

Edited by Edward850

6 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

A Doom map functions most reliably when all components of said map fit inside a 32767 square area. Exceeding this can produce unpredictable results in node building, simulation and rendering due to various overflows that are likely still relevant to GZDoom.

So I have to keep every single thing, vertex and line within a theoretical 32767x32767 "sector"? 

Excellent, thank you very much for the helping hand. I've just have measured the distance in the Builder and the location of where the picture was taken is, indeed, a circa 1000 units beyond that limit.

By the way, anyone knows of any good rural-themed texture packs? I'm looking to make thatched cottages, earthen roads, swamps and forests and such.

Hi !

Q: How can I make a script that teleports a player to the position of an enemy every time this kind of enemy is hit by the player?

Becuase I'm working in a "Hook Mechanic" for a mod but I'm having trouble figuring out how I can make this. So , help please ? :/

Edit: Ok It's working

Edited by Dude27th

Tried to do a custom sky texture.. Clouds are taken from the texture-thread. Mountains are from my own photo.

Mefu9Ot.png

Not easy to do nice skies even if the original photo would be good. I'm not familiar how to get pics converted to doom palette nicely..

What is the thing with the sky resolutions? Height seems to be 128 or 240 on most skies. Why 240? Why not 256?

EDIT: FIXED!

Why custom midis work only in map01 and map09

https://files.fm/u/cq3btrfr

I've named them like this:

D_RUNNIN
D_STALKS
D_COUNTD
D_BETWEE
D_DOOM
D_THE_DA
D_SHAWN
D_DDTBLU
D_IN_CIT

They are normal MIDI-files. They are taken from Jimmy's jukebox:

D_RUNNIN = D_ENGAGE
D_STALKS = D_FACES
D_COUNTD = D_FALLEN
D_BETWEE = D_FAREWL
D_DOOM = D_FTHRUS
D_THE_DA = D_GATES
D_SHAWN = D_GRANIT
D_DDTBLU = D_GREATH
D_IN_CIT = D_GUARDH

Edited by Jaska

Found the problem.... I had commented out the music on mapinfo so music didn't play on GZDoom but did in PRBoom for example.

Be sure you mentioned them in mapinfo. the music file name need to be write in mapinfo. for example your music is named machine so the mapinfo will going to look like this:

map map01 "levelname"
{
   levelnum = 1
   next = "map02"
   secretnext = "map30"
   sky1 = "SKY1", 0
   par = 30
   music = "machine"
}

I'm getting close to finishing my pwad using Doom 2 but it only has 19 levels. How do I make the game end on the 19th level instead of automatically going to Doom 2's 20th level?

I'm using ZDoom but solution doesn't have to be ZDoom specific. I just need an idea of how to do it.

For altering level progression: MAPINFO. Specifically, you'll want one of the Next = EndGame.

Unfortunately, any MAPINFO solution will be port-specific since there aren't any universal standard. Originally it's a Hexen feature, so "purist" ports like PrBoom or Choco will never support it.