Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

I think it falls into the category "technically it's wrong, but it will be tolerated", since those textures are clearly unmodified id software resources, yet there are wads containing those textures on /idgames.

On 5/12/2018 at 4:10 AM, Kappes Buur said:

Anyways, portals are static, meaning they are build at game start up.

Somewhat delayed reply, but just to clarify: only Sector Portals (horizontal ones) are static and cannot be redefined during run-time.

Linedef Portals (vertical ones) can be redefined to your hearts content, and even turned on and off during run-time.

Interesting, I refer to vertical/horizontal portals by the motion the player makes when passing them, not the direction the actual portal is. A 'vertical' portal is a stacked sector portal, in my mind!

19 hours ago, whirledtsar said:

For some reason these polyobjects won't show up in-game, and give the error "Start spot located without an anchor point". However, the start spots absolutely do have anchor points with matching angles, and those anchor points are in sectors with line special 1 (polyobject start line, filled in with the proper polyobj numbers), as seen in the screenshots. All of the relevant things are flagged to appear in every game type and skill level for every class. Any idea why this could be happening?

It looks to me like they should work, I don't see why they wouldn't. Are the anchor things tagged and their corresponding start spot things tagged appropriately? That appeared to be the only thing you didn't show us. Everything else looked right.

26 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

It looks to me like they should work, I don't see why they wouldn't. Are the anchor things tagged and their corresponding start spot things tagged appropriately? That appeared to be the only thing you didn't show us. Everything else looked right.

They don't have any tags, but they do have matching angles (as shown in the second screenshot), which is what I read to do and what normally works. Do they need to have matching TID's too?

40 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

That they do, sir.

Thanks, but I just tried that (giving the anchors and start spots matching TID's) and it still doesn't work. I've never had to us TID's in that way with polyobjects anyways.

My turn to ask a question, boys.

I'm using an old laptop without an internet connection to build maps that I may transfer over when I get back up and running for you guys to check out.

Related to this is the question. I am attempting to build two line portals connecting two separate locations together, but I can't seem to get them to run.

I've built a test map to figure this out before actually applying it in any real maps.

Here, the first line (the entrance) is tagged one and the second line (the exit) is tagged two. Each has its exit line tagged as the other and I'm using the Visual+Teleporter for this template. However, the issue arises when I load up GZDoom and the lines don't function.

So the question: Does GZDoom 1.8.2 (this laptop can't run anything later) not support these lines?

If it does, then what am I missing?

Given that line portals are a relatively recent feature in GZDoom, and 1.8.2 is from 2013, I'm going to say no, it isn't supported.

Just to be sure however, play a map that you know has them correctly implemented, such as Confinement 256's final map by Bauul.

EDIT: https://www.dfdoom.com/gzdoom-portal-tutorial/ here's a tutorial I have on portals, this should help you check if you have it set up correctly; although as said above I don't think it's an issue with your implementation.

Edited by Dragonfly

How would I be able to change what sprite set a monster uses in decorate?

For example Let's say I want to make a chaingunner that uses the doom marine sprites (you know sprites that already exist and are defined), is there any decorate code for that similair to changing palette trough translation?

Marineminigunner : Chaingunner replaces Chaingunguy

{

I'm not aware of a way to do it without redefining every frame. The way to do this I guess would be to start fresh using the original chaingunner:

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Classes:ChaingunGuy

And then change the sprite references at the start of each line. So instead of CPOS you use PLAY, like so:

ACTOR ChaingunPlayer replaces ChaingunGuy
{
  Health 70
  Radius 20
  Height 56
  Mass 100
  Speed 8
  PainChance 170
  Monster
  +FLOORCLIP
  SeeSound "chainguy/sight"
  PainSound "chainguy/pain"
  DeathSound "chainguy/death"
  ActiveSound "chainguy/active"
  AttackSound "chainguy/attack"
  Obituary "$OB_CHAINGUY"
  Dropitem "Chaingun"
  States
  {
  Spawn:
    PLAY AB 10 A_Look
    Loop
  See:
    PLAY AABBCCDD 3 A_Chase
    Loop
  Missile:
    PLAY E 10 A_FaceTarget
    PLAY FE 4 Bright A_CPosAttack
    PLAY F 1 A_CPosRefire
    Goto Missile+1
  Pain:
    PLAY G 3
    PLAY G 3 A_Pain
    Goto See
  Death:
    PLAY H 5
    PLAY I 5 A_Scream
    PLAY J 5 A_NoBlocking
    PLAY KLM 5
    PLAY N -1
    Stop
  XDeath:
    PLAY O 5 
    PLAY P 5 A_XScream
    PLAY Q 5 A_NoBlocking
    PLAY RS 5
    PLAY T -1
    Stop
  Raise:
    PLAY N 5
    PLAY MLKJIH 5
    Goto See
  }
}

Having to redfine every frame seems mighty unnecessary, can't there be a something like "Spriteset = CPOS:play"

There's no such thing because each state has its own sprite. Instead of PLAY AABBCCDD 3 A_Chase, you could very well have something like this:

See:
    PLAY A 3 A_Chase
    YALP A 3 A_Chase
    STUF B 3 A_Chase
    THNG B 3 A_Chase
    LULZ C 3 A_Chase
    LMAO C 3 A_Chase
    ROFL D 3 A_Chase
    ZZZZ D 3 A_Chase
    Loop

You could use ZScript to change the sprite without updating the states, though. It'd look something like this:

override void Tick()
{
	Super.Tick();
	self.sprite = GetSpriteIndex("BLAH");
}

This would change the sprite set every tick, making sure it keeps the one you want it to use instead of the one you inherited from. Obviously won't work if your monster uses several different sprite sets.

The status bar is already hidden in the titlemap when it's running as an actual title. If you see it, that means you've loaded the titlemap directly, which you aren't supposed to do.

yep, i was loading the map directly via GZDB. Didn't  know about this. thank you edward.

MBF's A_Spawn does not have any of the checks that A_PainShootSkull has, so no.

1 hour ago, Krull said:

you can't do the same in reverse and turn all shells into shotguns?

Swap only the sprite, not the ID.

There isn't a way I'm aware of to do this in Hexen format short of making the rear side inaccessible.

In UDMF, though, you can set the activation of a line to Front Side Only by editing the linedef directly.

6Qii2Q1.jpg

As shown here under activation, second from the bottom on the right.

Sadly im working in hexen format so the udmf solution is not for me :(.  The scripted linedef is near teleport line, so make linedefs impasable would make the teleport useless. Is there some command i can use in acs? Maybe something that i give id to those lines and make the whole process activate trough acs (i have no idea what im saying :D )?

31 minutes ago, Marlamir said:

The scripted linedef is near teleport line

I'm assuming then that the player needs to find a key or something that requires them to leave for a moment. You can assign the line an ID using action 121, then have the key or whatever execute a script like this:

script 995 (void)
{
 SetLineSpecial (1, ACS_Execute, 999);
}

script 999 (void)
{
 //Your script
}

This is probably better for use anyway so the player doesn't trip the script by accident.