Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

10 hours ago, KVELLER said:

Do you have any good reason not to use UDMF?

SArais.

... Okay, that's a bad argument and even worse as a joke. A true version might be that as a "native" Vanilla/Boom mapper, UDMF is a sore for me to even look at. No one's fault other than me, guess adjusting to something like this, quite a huge leap from the one stuff I am used to, isn't something that goes like piece of cake from one day to another.

Anyways, thanks for your advice @Gez, I think I'll make good use of FraggleScript at some time.

hi

What I need to write in a DeHackEd file so the zombies/sergeants/chaingunners don't drop ammo when killed?

(I'm making a boom compatible map)

Switch the zombies with the tall green torch, the sergeants with the tall blue torch, and the chaingunners with the tall red torch. Copy all the states, flags, and values from the one to the other and vice-versa. Then when you kill a zombie, it won't drop anything (since tall green torches don't drop anything) and when you kill a tall green torch it will drop a clip but you can't kill them since they're torches.

You can even switch their editor numbers around so that you won't have to do any change to your editor configuration.

You can do that with whatever other decorative item you want if torches aren't convenient for whatever reason.

Note that this is the kind of things you have to do whenever you want to exploit one of the hardcoded behaviors tied to mobj type classes rather than mobj flags. Like the cyberdemon's immunity to blast damage or the arch-vile never being targeted for infighting.

Been experimenting with DECORATE for some time to use in Heretic, and one of the things I'm having issues to get it work is "Weapon.AmmoUse". What I want is to change the amount of ammo tomed weapons use per shot. Originally, tomed dragon claw uses 5 orbs, and I want it to be 10. Similar with the tomed crossbow to spend 2 amount of ammo. Thing is, I can't get that to work, here's what I did:

actor BlasterPowered1 : BlasterPowered replaces BlasterPowered
{
	Weapon.AmmoUse 10
}

Then I tested it and still spent 5 orbs instead of 10. I tried copy/pasting the definition from the wiki and only changing the property's value, but didn't work. I hope someone could help me.

I have a hunch that your BlasterPowered1 is not really replacing BlasterPowered as the sister weapon for the Blaster after all. Try adding this to the code you posted above.

actor Blaster1 : Blaster replaces Blaster
{
  Weapon.SisterWeapon "BlasterPowered1"
}

Yeah. "replaces" only works with stuff that is spawned in the world.

You'll need to replace the basic weapon, but also update the player class so that the player doesn't get the vanilla weapon when using a cheat code.

You need to have an impact-activated line effect on them. And then, it depends on the texture change. If you're using a switch texture, it should change automatically; otherwise you'll have to give your lines an individual line ID and have the script change their texture however you want.

What's the best way to encourage monsters to use their missile/projectile attack less often than the default?

Currently I have the Missile state be a randomspawner with the actual projectile attack having a 25% chance otherwise it skips straight back to the See state, is there a simpler way?

How does one make windows with breakable glass? Is this a trivial flag/tag applied to a linedef via UDMF, or does this require scripting?

So, I wanted a custom sky in my vanilla compatible WAD. When I add it to the WAD via Slade3 it shows up in GzDoomBuilder Visual Mode, in GzDoom as well, but not in Chocolate Doom. Do I need to add more entries to my WAD? I checked DW for a tutorial but only found "adding custom textures" threads which explain a lot of things, but not skies. ;/

I already regret trying to stay within vanilla limits.

3 hours ago, elend said:

So, I wanted a custom sky in my vanilla compatible WAD. When I add it to the WAD via Slade3 it shows up in GzDoomBuilder Visual Mode, in GzDoom as well, but not in Chocolate Doom. Do I need to add more entries to my WAD? I checked DW for a tutorial but only found "adding custom textures" threads which explain a lot of things, but not skies. ;/

I already regret trying to stay within vanilla limits.

Replace the RSKY1 (or 2 or 3) patch with your custom sky, and that should do it.

That's exactly what I did actually, albeit with SKY1 since I used doom.wad as a resource. It still doesn't work in ChocolateDoom, only in GzDoom and GzDoom Builder. I was wondering if I have to further define the image, or put them between PP_START and P_END markers (even though this didn't work as well).

I guess I give up on vanilla mapping and just use UDMF again. Too much hassle. :Q

20 minutes ago, elend said:

That's exactly what I did actually, albeit with SKY1 since I used doom.wad as a resource. It still doesn't work in ChocolateDoom, only in GzDoom and GzDoom Builder. I was wondering if I have to further define the image, or put them between PP_START and P_END markers (even though this didn't work as well).

You aren't telling us something and are missing something vitally important, as it works absolutely fine in this quick mockup I made: redsky.zip

Yeah, I might have forgotten stuff and I am sorry about that. Not intentional. But my workflow so far was:

- Started Map in GzDoom Builder via "Doom Format (doom.wad)" (Ultimate Doom doom.wad that is)

- Added a quick room and Player start

- Opened my Ceiling with F_SKY1

- Opened my WAD in Slade3

- Added my custom sky by dragging and dropping it into Slade3

- Renamed it SKY1 (since, I checked doom.wad and the skies are named SKY1, SKY2, SKY3, SKY4)

- Sky appeared in GzDoom Builder (and GzDoom when playing) but not Chocolate Doom

Do you need additional information maybe?

Here's my Wad, where I wanted to test out the custom sky: http://www.vidgames.de/images/temp/doom_wad/TEST.wad

Wow, okay?! Now this is weird. Something wrong with my Chocolate Doom or the Chocolate Doom game config within GzDoom Builder?!

1 hour ago, elend said:

- Added my custom sky by dragging and dropping it into Slade3

- Renamed it SKY1 (since, I checked doom.wad and the skies are named SKY1, SKY2, SKY3, SKY4)

- Sky appeared in GzDoom Builder (and GzDoom when playing) but not Chocolate Doom

I don't see "converted sky to Doom's native picture format" in that list. Your custom sky was likely in PNG form.

49 minutes ago, elend said:

Wow, okay?! Now this is weird. Something wrong with my Chocolate Doom or the Chocolate Doom game config within GzDoom Builder?!

My money is on GZDoomBuilder doing something weird. You can check this by directly launching the wad from setup or using the command prompt (chocolate-doom.exe -iwad doom.wad -file test.wad).

15 minutes ago, Gez said:

I don't see "converted sky to Doom's native picture format" in that list. Your custom sky was likely in PNG form. 

Oh, I just forgot that. I did convert it to Doom format, since I went through all the effort to palletize it beforehand anyway.
Yeah, I guess GzDoom Builder does something weird when exporting it to playtest it. Strange.

Thanks a bunch for your help, though! Much appreciated.

10 hours ago, GoatLord said:

How does one make windows with breakable glass? Is this a trivial flag/tag applied to a linedef via UDMF, or does this require scripting?

Give your linedef the special 49: breakable glass. The first argument should be whether to spawn glass shards when it's activated.

Set its activation to be "On projectile impact" and give it a glass-like midtexture and it should work.

Disclaimer: I've never actually used this special before, so I can't say whether it will actually work.

Let's enlist the help of Gez, shall we? :)

On 12/28/2011 at 4:45 PM, Gez said:

http://zdoom.org/wiki/GlassBreak

"Normally you should set the line's activation type to projectile hits and the flags to impassible."

For the hardcoded GlassJunk actors to successfully spawn, you need to provide SHARD0, SHARE0 and SHARF0 sprites. You can get them from the Strife teaser demo if you want.

For the "glass break" sound to play, you need to have it set as the switch sound for your glass texture in ANIMDEFS.

The name of the texture is SKY1, but the name of the patch that the  texture is made from is RSKY1. The TEXTURES1 lump will build the textures by combining the  patches. SKY1 is one of those textures that only has 1 patch, RSKY1. So, without making a custom TEXTURES1 lump, all you need to do is replace the RSKY1 patch, and that will change the SKY1 texture. This will work in any port, including unmodified vanilla Doom.

10 hours ago, Empyre said:

The name of the texture is SKY1, but the name of the patch that the  texture is made from is RSKY1.

He was talking about Ultimate Doom though, where the name of the patch is actually SKY1 too.

Oh. I've only mapped and modded for Doom 2, so I didn't know that. I stand corrected, and I am pleased to have learned something.