Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

2 minutes ago, Antnee said:

What do these Thing flags do in GZDoombuilder bugfix version?

image.png.f57fe6aef87a96ba1120d1a7fc7effa7.png

if i am not wrong works for when the player chooses his classes is to say that enemies will come depending on what class he chose for example in the hexen would be the wizard the fighter and the cleric

If you have custom classes, flagging the box "class 1" will make the thing appear if that player class is present in-game, and likewise for the other four.

If a thing is flagged "class 1" and unflagged the other four, if class 1 isn't present, the thing won't appear.

It's the same as skill flags, just for classes.

Just now, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

If you have custom classes, flagging the box "class 1" will make the thing appear if that player class is present in-game, and likewise for the other four.

If a thing is flagged "class 1" and unflagged the other four, if class 1 isn't present, the thing won't appear.

It's the same as skill flags, just for classes.

So I guess I've been out of the loop for a while, but how's that relevant to the D2 UDMF format?

It's considering custom classes like Hexen does. Doom-in-Hexen does the same as I remember with the "fighter", "cleric", and "mage" class boxes.

It's just UDMF taking into consideration GZDoom features.

Huh.  Ok, I guess the answer (at least for me) is "stuff you won't use"

Thanks for answering!

Note that there are a total of 16 class flags, it was a design decision by the author of GZDB to only show the first five. Likewise, there are a total of 16 difficulty flags, and only the the first eight are shown.

Just keep all class flags on. It doesn't hurt anything when playing with only one player class, and it makes it fool-proof when people do play with class mods like Samsara or QCDE.

Oh, I intend to leave them alone.  I just meant it's not relevant to what I plan on doing, is all.

Hey! Quick question here: For simplicity, let's say I have a rectangular bridge over some lava with a W1 trigger line in the middle. Is the best way to make sure the player doesn't skip it to add extra lines extending into the lava? And yes, I know to double-line it.

You can extend into the lava, but then the player could potentially trigger the W1 effect several times, which can result in glitches depending on how your map is set up and which effect you're using.

Another possibility would be to put obstacles on the sides, forcing the player to go through the line. Like a pair of pillars with some evil eyes on it or something. It might telegraph to the player where the trap line is, though.

So, recently I have this problem: I want to select the ceiling behind the crosshair in GzDoom Builder Bugfix. Yet, it is not highlighted and instead it highlights the other ceiling. There are no other linedefs inbetween, etc. I did not have this problem in "regular" GzDoom Builder, only when I started using GzDoom Builder Bugfix. Is this a common problem or is something wrong with my map? :(

asdf.jpg.802d718e8726a7162a10f92c4638997b.jpg

2 minutes ago, elend said:

I want to select the ceiling behind the crosshair in GzDoom Builder Bugfix. Yet, it is not highlighted and instead it highlights the other ceiling.

Try using "make sector mode" and use it on both the highlighted sector as well as the one you actually want to highlight. That *might* solve the problem.

Following in from Nine Inch Heel's comment, press F4 and check for errors. I'd suggest deselecting the options relating to textures:

95c4bea03bd2355722e2e2bc169a70d9.png

Is there a way to permanantly deselect those options @Dragonfly? Gets irritating having to remember to uncheck them so I don't get tons of false warnings for textures.

About GL skyboxes, I've added one to my Boom map in the hopes of having it for GLBoom.

It's a minor stumbling block, but it doesn't show in GLBoom.

Spoiler

doom00.png

It does, however, show in GZDoom.

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20181022_084341.png

The skybox is SKY1, and there's no mapinfo text yet, so I confused why this might be.

On 10/17/2018 at 4:34 PM, Spectre01 said:

Hey! Quick question here: For simplicity, let's say I have a rectangular bridge over some lava with a W1 trigger line in the middle. Is the best way to make sure the player doesn't skip it to add extra lines extending into the lava? And yes, I know to double-line it.

Without knowing which format you're mapping for or what options you're using (e.g., jumping), it's a bit difficult to provide definitive suggestions. A screenshot of this part of your map, either in-game or in-editor, might also be helpful.

If you don't want the players to circumvent the W1 trigger line by avoiding the bridge and traversing the lava, here are some suggestions:

• Put a small 25-32 unit high edge on the bridge, sort of like a handrail. This would prevent players from walking off the side of the bridge.
    • If you're concerned about jumping, put the same W1 trigger line on the linedefs that define the outer edge of the "handrail."
  • You could ways just put a W1 trigger on the outer edges of the bridge itself. No need to have a handrail.
  • Put railings (midtextures) on the sides of the bridge and mark them impassible.
    • Put the railings between posts so you can't see the edge of the texture (this is just a personal thing I like to do, it's not necessary).
  • Make the lava pit about 64+ units deep so if the player jumps in (to try and avoid walking across the bridge), they'll be stuck.
    • The 64+ depth is just to make it deep enough that you can't jump out. If there's no jumping, it could be more shallow.
    • If you don't want to be heartless and have an inescapable death pit, add some steps that will lead you out of the pit and back up to the side of the pit where the player jumped off. It should be apparent to the player that they HAVE to cross the bridge (and activate the W1 trigger line in the process).
  • Make the lava pit deep enough the player can't get out of it once they jump in and have steps on the other side, but put the same W1 trigger line on the steps.

On 10/17/2018 at 5:54 PM, Gez said:

You can extend into the lava, but then the player could potentially trigger the W1 effect several times, which can result in glitches depending on how your map is set up and which effect you're using.

The severity of that would depend entirely on the setup and what is being trigger, you're right. W1 raise floor? That could be problematic. W1 light to 255? Probably not as much of an issue.

If you're mapping in Boom, you could always try this:

1. Put a voodoo doll on a conveyor belt in front of a W1 line that triggers whatever you had in mind.
  2. Use type 253 on the conveyor belt and hold the voodoo doll back using a door that is set at 48 units off the ground (just enough to block the voodoo doll).
  3. Put a W1 trigger on every conceivable linedef the player could cross (middle of the bridge, edge of the bridge, line in the middle of the lava pit, etc.).
  4. Have those W1 trigger lines open the door on the conveyor belt, allowing the voodoo doll to cross the W1 linedef on the conveyor belt.
  5. Since the voodoo doll will already have passed the W1 trigger for the action on the map, it won't matter how many times the player crosses one of those W1 multiple lines.

On 10/18/2018 at 6:48 PM, elend said:

So, recently I have this problem: I want to select the ceiling behind the crosshair in GzDoom Builder Bugfix. Yet, it is not highlighted and instead it highlights the other ceiling. There are no other linedefs inbetween, etc. I did not have this problem in "regular" GzDoom Builder, only when I started using GzDoom Builder Bugfix. Is this a common problem or is something wrong with my map? :(

This seems to be a bug with GZDB. It get's worse the more intricate your sectors are. It's a pain in the arse and I haven't heard of anyway to fix it

On 10/17/2018 at 10:48 PM, elend said:

So, recently I have this problem: :(

Seems to me that you need to learn how to use the editor properly.

You, already, were given some advice how to solve your problem.

GZDoom Builder and, likewise, Gzdoom Builder Bugfix comes with a Reference manual, which tells you how to use the features of the editor. Also, while it was written for the older Doombuilder, Doom Builder: An Illustrated Guide is still relevant.

@Kappes Buur So what you mean is, I am drawing the linedefs wrong? I have read about clockwise / counterclockwise, etc. But then, I have also read that it doesn't make a difference in modern builders anymore. Other than that, of course I am still learning how to use the editor properly. Thus the questions, what I could possibly be doing wrong. The illustrated guide I've read already.

2 hours ago, elend said:

@Kappes Buur So what you mean is, I am drawing the linedefs wrong?

From your screenshot it appears that the sector assignments are not quite correct.

Did you follow what Nine Inch Heels suggested and use the Make Sector Mode (M) to ensure that each sector is properly assigned its own number.

HKR5HGu.png

When in Editing Mode, each sector should highlight as you move the mouse cursor over it. 

Oh, yes, yes, that's exactly what I did actually. In the map view each sector looks absolutely normal and is not merged with other sectors or something like that. Using the "make sector" tool does not help at all, that's why I was wondering and posting this. Also: in the case of my original post, this issue is now resolved. How and why, I don't know, but I can now select everything normally in that area. Yet, other areas popped up, where I have the same "problem".

In any case, thank you really much for your help so far.

Check the vertices and linedefs and make sure you don't have two overlapping, but not connected.

Sometimes when you draw new geometry over existing geometry, Builder won't merge the two and you'll end up with strange issues.

This can also happen if you use copy-paste (which is a reason I prefer to draw by hand).

I currently facing a problem with custom pallete. Textures i using are not doom pallete compatible and to have the map software render friendly i decide to try custom pallete. Problem is the custom are now ok but everything doom original have broken collors. Is there way how to make custom pallete not have effect to doom stuff and have effect only on custom textures or use 2 palletes?

You could convert the custom textures in a separate wad, convert them to truecolor PNG's, then move those into your wad and not move the palette with them.

That's the only way I can think of.

Alright, here's a weird one.

I'm trying to port some of my Doom64 EX maps to a standard GZDoom UDMF format.  Copying the sectors from editor to editor results in the geometry and textures being maintained, but obviously a bunch of the linedef/sector properties have to be reset.  The problem I'm not able to overcome is that in GZDoom, every single ceiling texture is scrolling very fast, and I can't seem to make it not do that.

Here's the properties of one of those sectors, taken from SLADE

sector // 21
{
heightfloor = -96;
heightceiling = 32;
texturefloor = "SFLATCD";
textureceiling = "SDFLTC";
lightlevel = 255;
xpanningceiling = 0.000;
ypanningceiling = 0.000;
rotationceiling = 0.000;
xscaleceiling = 1.000;
yscaleceiling = 1.000;
xpanningfloor = 0.000;
ypanningfloor = 0.000;
rotationfloor = 0.000;
xscalefloor = 1.000;
yscalefloor = 1.000;
}

Has anyone tried to do this before? 

@Aquila Chrysaetos  Yeah, that's sounds like only thinkable solution. So i try it and decide to use your solution, after converting them to trucolor png's format they didn't look that bad in software render now. Thank you

On 10/17/2018 at 10:48 PM, elend said:

asdf.jpg.802d718e8726a7162a10f92c4638997b.jpg

I've run into the exact same issue on some of my maps. It seems to be caused by lowering the ceiling of a surrounding sector, and then lowering the camera to below the height of the new ceiling. Are you using UDMF? I'm not sure what's causing it or how to fix it.

I would try getting closer to the ceiling you want to select, even straight under it, looking straight up.

8 hours ago, Bauul said:

I've run into the exact same issue on some of my maps. It seems to be caused by lowering the ceiling of a surrounding sector, and then lowering the camera to below the height of the new ceiling. Are you using UDMF? I'm not sure what's causing it or how to fix it.

Haven't seen a solution yet

8 hours ago, Empyre said:

I would try getting closer to the ceiling you want to select, even straight under it, looking straight up.

This can help but not always unfortunately 

I have dealt with this too. VERY annoying. I just wiggle around until I can select.