Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

Is there some good wad editor i can use except slade3? I'm really tired how extremely often this editor crashes and how developers are lazy to fix this.

15 minutes ago, Marlamir said:

Is there some good wad editor i can use except slade3? I'm really tired how extremely often this editor crashes and how developers are lazy to fix this.

DoomBuilder X and GZDB (bugfix) are the most widely used alternatives. DBX is less resource hungry than GZDB, and crashes less often (if at all), and GZDB has some more features built in. Try both, stick to what works.

EDIT: Hold on, you mean a program made to edit things like which textures are in WADs and such? Tough luck, I guess, seems SLADE is the way to go.

Yes i mean editor that editings things inside wad. I know is the best one so far but amount of crash especially during graphic editing is really annoying. Is sad that developers didn't care about this anymore.

You'll have to deal with it. The only alternative is to get a ton of other programs to edit the files individually and use a program like 7Zip to assemble them into a pk3 archive.

If you don't want to use Slade specifically, other editors still exist like XWE and Slumped, but they're nowhere near the capability of Slade.

True, the ammount of things you can do in slade is superb so i guess i have no other chance than deal with it :/

1 hour ago, Marlamir said:

It is hardly sirjuddington's fault that the editor misbehaves for you.

Who knows what your system files look like.

I don't know how many mappers are using SLADE v3.1.2 Beta 5, but I bet that the majority have no problem at all.

Make sure that Windows is up-to-date and that you install the linked Runtimes.

39 minutes ago, Kappes Buur said:

It is hardly sirjuddington's fault that the editor misbehaves for you

Yeah how dare him :D :D but no really my pc playing big role in this as well cause i have older machine so is not just slade fault. I just explode at that moment because i loose 2hr of work and i didn't save it because im idiot. 

Save early and save often. Also, make back-up copies at least daily. Just right-click-and-drag to the same folder and select Copy Here before you start the day's editing.

Earlier builder creashed more often. Now I can't even remember last crash. But I constantly hit ctrl+s. When the file corrupts there are 3 automatic backups. But like two times this has helped :

21 hours ago, Marlamir said:

Yes i mean editor that editings things inside wad. I know is the best one so far but amount of crash especially during graphic editing is really annoying. Is sad that developers didn't care about this anymore.

https://github.com/sirjuddington/SLADE/issues

I don't see reports of graphic editing crashes. It's hard for developers to care about problems they don't know about.

So, it's me again(srry). I'm trying to make my first weapon and i'm facing two problems so far. First is that no matter what i'm not able to make +NoAutoFire or Weapon +NoAutoFire to work and the weapon still shooting automatically no matter in which part of decorate i place this is this feature broken? What else i can do to make weapon no auto firing?

The second thing is that i would love to achieve an animated pickup, when player pick weapon few sprite will change as animation and than go back to ready possition. Is possible to achieve this or not?

Thank you i didn't know A_ReFire is what causing the autofiring. I have one in fire state so i delete him and it's stop auto shooting.

I have a question. I'm working on a pretty large mapset with about 29 intermissions at different points (don't ask) and it's all working fine except for around cluster 26-29. Once you get to the end of cluster 26 it plays the intermission for the end of 29, and then every other end of cluster doesn't play an intermission at all. I experimented with removing the text regarding cluster 29 and it decided to play the intermission text for cluster 28 when I reached the end of 26, so it seems that it's just skipping straight to the end.

All my numbers are correct, I'm pretty sure. Not really sure what's going on here. Here's the relevant mapinfo text:

Spoiler

clusterdef "26"
{
    flat = "FLOOR7_2"
    music = "64_READ"
    exittext = "INSERT TEXT HERE 26"
}

clusterdef "27"
{
    flat = "FLOOR4_8"
    music = "64_READ"
    exittext = "INSERT TEXT HERE 27"
}

clusterdef "28"
{
    flat = "FLOOR7_2"
    music = "64_READ"
    exittext = "INSERT TEXT HERE 28"
}

clusterdef "29"
{
    flat = "FLOOR4_8"
    music = "64_READ"
    exittext = "INSERT TEXT HERE 29"
}

Any ideas?

I don't really know where to ask this, but since im trying to create a map with mulötiple resource wads, I figured this would be the right place.

A

Is there a way for prboom-plus to load multiple wads with the -file parameter?
Or do I have to include all textures I used in a single wad for it to work with prboom-plus?

Im trying to create a map using both the CC4 textures and custom made ones, but as mentioned above I cant get it to work (in this port)

31 minutes ago, lunoir said:

I don't really know where to ask this, but since im trying to create a map with mulötiple resource wads, I figured this would be the right place.

A

Is there a way for prboom-plus to load multiple wads with the -file parameter?
Or do I have to include all textures I used in a single wad for it to work with prboom-plus?

Im trying to create a map using both the CC4 textures and custom made ones, but as mentioned above I cant get it to work (in this port)

Enter the following in the command line:

-file MAINPWADFILE.wad cc4-tex.wad custom-tex.wad ... and so on for as many texture packs as you have.

The extension .wad is optional.

If I do that it (weirdly!) does not load any walltextures from cc4-tex o_O

(the floors are working though)

Edited by lunoir

You will need to combine all the used textures into one wad so they are all in the same TEXTURE1 lump. Only the last TEXTURE1 lump loaded will be used, which is why it has to list all the iwad textures, too. While you are doing that, you might as well combine the flats, too, even though you don't have to.

Fellow mappers, I have a question;

I created a square arena. When the player enters that square I want to trigger an action. Since the square has four sides and I don't know from which side he will be coming, I gave all four sides of the arena a linespecial. Now I have the problem, that it activates on all four sides of course. It should be activated only once after entering the arena. When the player leaves and returns the action should not be triggered anymore.

Now I have read about SetLineSpecial (here), yet it doesn't seem to work for me. It seems I don't understand its syntax, no matter how often I read about SetLineSpecial (here). In short: I want to active a floor raise and immediately after that, remove the floorraise special from all linedefs tagged "22".

My cobbled together script looks like this:

script 2 (void)
{   Floor_Raisebyvaluetimes8 (19, 64, 16);
	SetLineSpecial (int lineid 22, int special [0]);
}

A little bit of help would be very much appreciated. :/

Try removing the int lineid and int special from your script.

script 2 (void)
{
 Floor_Raisebyvaluetimes8 (19, 64, 16);
 SetLineSpecial (22, 0);
}

That should solve your problem.

It worked, it worked, it worked! I thank you a thousand times. Thank you very much. :D

I am  using GZDoom Builder and I was wondering whether it was possible to  edit the overall crouch height, the reason being that I wanted to create level that involved crawling through vents, similar to games like Half-Life and Duke Nukem 3D,

Here are some screenshots from Star Wars: Dark Forces, which has a cheat called "LABUG" that when typed during gameplay, will allow the player to crouch much lower than usual, the crouch height seen here is what I want to do with GZDoom Builder or  Slade3.

dark_000.png.2e9123f7cce7deb900afa1a55ff0a331.pngdark_001.png.3f498623b8390bd52929a9a3042b8977.png

13 hours ago, AJOgames said:

I am  using GZDoom Builder and I was wondering whether it was possible to  edit the overall crouch height, the reason being that I wanted to create level that involved crawling through vents, similar to games like Half-Life and Duke Nukem 3D,

GZDoom already supports crouching.

Got to Options and bind a key to the action, for example

Spoiler

qMR0c28.png

Rex's Paranoid.pk3 uses vents quite a lot

Spoiler

Z1vCL8h.png

1 hour ago, Kappes Buur said:

GZDoom already supports crouching.

Their question wasn't "Can you crouch" but "Can you change the height of the player while they's crouching".

Unfortunately I don't know the answer to that; I imagine it'd be possible, perhaps with ZScript.

You would need to modify the player actor's height, because its crouching height is half of its standard height.

Unless there's a way to otherwise modify the crouching height without making the player squat, this is the only solution.

well I was thinking...

you know when the player dies, and how the camera lowers to the floor?

maybe I could try to edit the crouching to do something like that, since the camera height when you die seems to be lower than that of when you're crouching.

I was also wondering if it was possible to do some more advanced stuff, like the multi-directional lift from Doom 3's Communications PRC Maintenance level, 

(ignore the red arrows on the picture,)

doom3_s_158.jpg.69c8273538de79411fed3f9cab978193.jpg

Or better yet the trains from DN3D...

Now I don't know what is and what isn't possible in GZDoom, so some of the stuff here might be a bit too ambitious for the engine to handle.

7 hours ago, AJOgames said:

I was also wondering if it was possible to do some more advanced stuff, like the multi-directional lift from Doom 3's Communications PRC Maintenance level, 

7 hours ago, AJOgames said:

Or better yet the trains from DN3D...

That would involve moving sectors, which unfortunately isn't possible on the Doom engine. The closest thing would be polyobjects, but they're only for walls and such.

You can sorta cheat to an extent by using portals on your polyobjects, so you create a moving "bubble" with some geometry in it. The big limitation is that the floor and ceiling inside the bubble will not move, so you can't use that to create a moving floating platform because it'll be visible thay above and underneath it the sector is different. (You can kinda workaround that by using skies, but that's just for "void" maps.)