Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

That's just a 3D model IIRC, although it serves its purpose. You won't be able to get decals, such as bullet holes, on it though. The only Doom engine program I can think of with side-to-side moving 3D floors is SRB2.

I've got a handful of small questions. I haven't yet ventured into the world of scripting things yet. So here goes:

1) I'm pretty sure the answer is no after looking at all the standard linedef actions, but is there any way to raise a ceiling to the next highest ceiling? I want to make a "stuck" door, forcing the player to repeatedly pull a switch next to it to manually "pump" it up (there is no power). (And by that I mean raise the ceiling in the hidden sector just next to the door. I suspect that I'll need to use a script to get that to work, though.

2) I know the trick of "raising floor to lowest ceiling", where the lowest ceiling is below the tagged sector to create an instant, silent lowering floor. Is there any similar gimmick for ceilings to get an instant, silent lowering ceiling? (If the answer is no, that's fine, I can live without it.)

3) I want to change the default music which plays in my MAP11 from "The Healer Stalks" (D_STLKS2) to that used in "Barrels o' Fun" (Bye Bye American Pie)(D_AMPIE). What's the easiest way to go about doing that?

10 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

1: https://zdoom.org/wiki/Generic_Ceiling

2: The above action can do it. Use "raise to highest adjacent ceiling" and make the "highest adjacent ceiling" lower than the moving ceiling.

3: Two ways: using a MAPINFO text lump, or renaming the midi directly.

Thanks.

1: I guess the Generic Ceiling must be a script thing. I'll look around that site and see if I can figure out how to use that.

3: Ah, so in the MAPINFO lump, I'll just set Music = "D_AMPIE".

Is it possible to change the color of a player sprite with translation? or do I have to use something else?

something has my emulator or is that I did something wrong because the translation does not appear

here is the code

Spoiler

actor CyberProphetClass : Playerpawn
{
  health 3000
  radius 24
  height 64
  mass 1000
  speed 1.00
  Translation "16:47=193:204", "112:125=176:181"
  painchance 0
  Player.DisplayName "CyberProphet"
  Player.MaxHealth 3000
  Player.ViewHeight 60
  Player.SoundClass CyberProphet
  Player.JumpZ 12
  player.startitem "CyberProphetBaronWeapon"
  player.startitem "CyberProphetIceWeapon"
  player.startitem "CyberProphetFireWeapon"
  player.startitem "CyberProphetThunderWeapon"
  player.startitem "CyberProphetGrenadeWeapon"
  player.startitem "CyberProphetReviveWeapon"
  Player.WeaponSlot 1, CyberProphetGrenadeWeapon 
  Player.WeaponSlot 2, CyberProphetBaronWeapon 
  Player.WeaponSlot 3, CyberProphetIceWeapon 
  Player.WeaponSlot 4, CyberProphetFireWeapon 
  Player.WeaponSlot 5, CyberProphetThunderWeapon 
  Player.WeaponSlot 6, CyberProphetReviveWeapon 
  BloodColor "Blue" 
  DamageFactor "WalkFire", 0.0
  DamageFactor "BossFlamer2", 0.0
  +PICKUP
  +DONTMORPH
  +NOPAIN
  +FRIENDLY
  +NOTARGET
  +NORADIUSDMG
  states
  {
  Spawn: 
       CBOS A -1
       Loop
   See:
        CBOS A 3
    CBOS A 3   
    CBOS B 0 A_playsound("cbaron/metal")
    CBOS BB 3 
    CBOS CC 3    
    CBOS D 3 
    CBOS D 0 A_playsound("cyber/hoof")
    CBOS D 3 
        TNT1 A 0 HealThing(5)
       Loop
  Missile:
    CBOS E 10 bright
    CBOS F 10 bright 
    goto Spawn   
   Death:
    CBOS H 4 BRIGHT A_CustomMissile("ExplosionEffect",random(20,42),random(-4,4),random(0,359),2,random(-10,10))
    CBOS H 4 BRIGHT A_CustomMissile("ExplosionEffect",random(20,42),random(-4,4),random(0,359),2,random(-10,10))
    CBOS I 8
    CBOS J 8 A_Scream
    CBOS K 8 bright A_Playsound("world/barrelx")
    CBOS L 8 bright A_NoBlocking
    CBOS M 8 bright
    CBOS N 8 bright
    CBOS O -1
    stop
  }
}

Question #1:

Using GZDoom and DoomBuilder 2, how do you construct a large episode for Heretic? I know you can assign arbitrary map name to a level in DB2 (eg, E7M1 or MAP01). I was thinking about doing a 12 level "episode" for Heretic but I need to define things like the map names and map flow (like which one is the secret level and how to access it). Can anyone point me to a wiki article or HOWTO on how to do this? (or maybe just explain it?) Ideally, I'd put the maps in a proper .WAD file, and then that file into a .PK3 file with whatever other scripts or configuration files I would need (this worked for me with custom graphics anyway with a different series of levels).

Question #2:

I'm guessing the ZDoom option in DB2 "Teleport, also monsters, same angle" is basically the Hexen-like functionality to fake 3D features or does this mean something else? Is it used the same way? Teleport to a tagged sector and thing?

Question #3:

Does DB2 have an option to show sprites in Things mode?

Thank you.

1: Each map goes its own WAD file in the Maps folder in the PK3: https://zdoom.org/wiki/Using_ZIPs_as_WAD_replacement

Here is where I learned how to use MAPINFO: https://zdoom.org/wiki/MAPINFO

2: That would work, but if you are using GZDoom, you can have real 3D floors: https://zdoom.org/wiki/Sector_Set3dFloor

3: No, but GZDoomBuilder does: https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=232&t=54957

This is probably a really stupid question, but in GZDoom Builder (Bigfix), when browsing for textures, they used to be organized by categories which you could expand and browse with the help of a little "+", but I think I pressed a button somewhere, and now I can't for the life of me figure out how to get that handy category display back. Now it only displays the images, no categories.

I looked through the keyboard shortcut reference and nothing jumped out. What did I do and how do I get that "+" browser feature back?

Thanks.

what is? Player.ColorRange

I'm still investigating how to make a translation in a player actor but I do not know if this can serve

5 hours ago, Marlamir said:

I think you are talking about this one? Just click on this

<snip>

*smacks self in head* I figured it had to be something simple I missed. Thanks a lot.

I need help with a bug i didn't encounter that much before. I have no idea know what causing this bug, is my map or just part of it corrupted or broken? What cause this and what's the best way to prevent this please? I didn't do any "hucho mucho"  thing to my map i was only drawing thing but now i'm not able to do single line for some reason.

29369694_egypt(editarea)at2018_11.2015-22-25.730R3039.jpg.80d274ae7f04d35b9a6b117af028ded2.jpg

2081489106_egypt(editarea)at2018_11.2015-22-30.635R3039.jpg.b7120c4537c5dcfd2e14b6ff87168899.jpg

Stupid idea; did you restart the editor? Not likely to help, but what the hell, I might as well suggest the typical IT Support answer here, it might work. :V

Guess what? Restarting the editor for some reason helped and is ok now (heh good old days where restarting was first help :D). But i'm confused even more, i'm wondering what cause this. Is Gzdb got drunk or something? :D

Your guess is as good as mine at this point; the main point to take away is that it's working now and restarting actually works sometimes. :P

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

Stupid idea; did you restart the editor? Not likely to help, but what the hell, I might as well suggest the typical IT Support answer here, it might work. :V

That actually should be first troubleshooting step, always. It's not hard to do and it actually solves a surprising amount of issues (at least temporarily). At the end of the day, these programs are made by people, so bugs will pop up every now and again, and restarting is the best way to (theoretically) reset things back to zero.

1 hour ago, Dragonfly said:

Not going to disagree there; but I prefer to find out why something stopped working as intended, when possible. :)

Of course! But, if you're not a programmer, there's not much you can do if you come across some silly bug.

I would report it to the developers - if I am able to work out accurate reproduction steps as well as any action that seems to fix the issue, that'll help them greatly. :)

So I figure I should ask here...
Whats the best way to for a novice to make custom textures, I've tried editing some of the vanilla D2 textures in Paint and Gimp, but it's not going the way I hoped, are there better ways to do this or is it something I'll just get the hang of eventually?

6 minutes ago, wolfmcbeard said:

something I'll just get the hang of eventually?

Pretty much this. It's essentially graphic design (and it was an interest like this that made me become a web/graphic designer as a career choice).

I'd suggest that you take away the focus on making textures for the time being, and just learn the software you're using and basic art concepts, such as perspective, light sources and all that kind of stuff.

With regards to software, so with GIMP in this case, you could learn the full package; get a feel for what all the tools can do and what creative ways you can perform tasks and effects. With Paint, you're pretty much limited to hand-drawn pixel art, which has it's perks, but for a newcomer it will likely take years of practice to make anything worth being an actual texture; and is better suited for touching up sprites and textures after they've been produced. Some people are absolute magicians with MSPaint though, so don't let me put you off.

1 hour ago, Dragonfly said:

Pretty much this. It's essentially graphic design (and it was an interest like this that made me become a web/graphic designer as a career choice).

I'd suggest that you take away the focus on making textures for the time being, and just learn the software you're using and basic art concepts, such as perspective, light sources and all that kind of stuff.

With regards to software, so with GIMP in this case, you could learn the full package; get a feel for what all the tools can do and what creative ways you can perform tasks and effects. With Paint, you're pretty much limited to hand-drawn pixel art, which has it's perks, but for a newcomer it will likely take years of practice to make anything worth being an actual texture; and is better suited for touching up sprites and textures after they've been produced. Some people are absolute magicians with MSPaint though, so don't let me put you off.

Fair enough, I use Gimp since I am familiar with it already, I think my biggest trouble spot is establishing depth for something like a broken CRT display or a damaged wall, though light and shadow has improved for me over the last few weeks since I first started trying to do this.

While I agree with Dragonfly, that you‘ll „eventually get the hang of it“, I must day that it‘s not that easy. To actually eventually get the hang of it you have to practise, keep going, check out other art, try to learn from it and generally just do as much as possible. Of course a good wy to improve is to watch tutorials. Brush up on basics like light and shadows, antialiasing, texture, etc. Then and just then you will definitely get the hang of it.

Regarding the tools; You are familiar with Gimp? Perfect, stay with it for now. It‘s no use to download the „best“ and „most professional“ program, if it takes you ages to actually figure out, how to place one pixel. Familiarity with a program is more important than having the ultimate tool. There will be a point, where you‘ll outgrow the tool and then you can look for alternatives. 

If you have trouble giving depth to a CRT display (for a texture, I assume?) then check out other textures. Notice how CRTs are convex, notice changes in light and shadow and a little outline or really dark color / edge never killed anyone. Most importantly play around and post your results here. Most of the time you will rate your own stuff as inferior to other art, but that must not always be the case. Other forum users could encourage you by actually liking your art very much or - best case scenario - wanting to use it in their own WADs.

Well, TL;DR, basically never give up. xd

I'm still waiting for an answer about my question :"v

By the way, this would be my 700th post :v