Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

On 3/17/2017 at 10:26 PM, doopnoop said:

How do I copy and paste a texture?

The default settings for GZDoomBuilder is as follows:

In Visual Mode:

Face the texture you want to copy - placing the crosshair in visual mode over it.

Hit: CTRL+ALT+C

Then to paste the texture onto another surface, face the surface you want to apply the texture to (again with the crosshair) and press your mouse's middle button.  Wallah.  A pasted texture.

To paste a copied texture to several linedefs (like a whole wall with several segments), hold down the SHIFT key when you press the middle mouse button.

This works with flats also.  Just follow the same as above to copy and paste them.

Best of luck!

On 2/7/2019 at 3:32 AM, Gez said:

I'd suggest using a different lump name for the texture, and you can keep the same texture name in TEXTURE1. Look how most textures in vanilla have names different from their patches.

I'd be careful of doing this if one is using DoomBuilder 2.

I made a new lump for my custom flats in Slade, and the next time I opened DoomBuilder 2, all of my custom flats showed up as squiggled messes.

If I were you and you wanted to differentiate the two without having to go to a lot of trouble, just do something like put an 'f_' before the texture name.  Doing that will take up two (of the eight) characters, of course, but it is a much easier solution than trying to make new lumps and stuff.

I remeber there being some way using dummy sectors

to make a wall texture glow (and only it , not the sector in front)

Anyone got an idea how to do it?

Sounds like one of Boom's transfer light effects. Make a sector with light level 255 (or however bright you want the line to be; it has to be 255 or more to disable fake contrast), tag this sector, and then make a dummy sector with light level 0 (or however dark you want it to be) and make two of its lines have the floor and ceiling light transfer properties (line types 213 and 261) to the tagged sector. You'll get a dark sector with bright walls.

I'm not entirely sure about things in the sector are lit; I think I remember reading it wasn't very consistent. You can use the very thin sector trick to resolve the problem by preventing most things from getting in the wall's front sector so the illusion can be complete.

The most obvious solution in my mind is to draw a 1 unit triangle in front of the texture you want to glow and make that tiny triangle sector glow. Its floor and ceiling will still glow, but the sector will be so small that nobody will complain about it.

I wanted to see if it was possible to create Rise Of The Triad style jump-pads for Doom, so I created this decorate script.

Jump-pads in ROTT affected both the player and the enemies, either step on them and be shot up into the air.

and I don't know how to do that here, if it's even possible in decorate,

This is the decorate script I wrote.

ACTOR JumpPad 17014
{
    Radius 35
    Height 5
    Mass 500
    scale 1.5
    Speed 0
    PainChance 0
    MeleeDamage 0
    Meleerange 10
    Monster
    +FLOORCLip
    +NoBlood
    +LOOKALLAROUND
    +DONTBLAST
    +NORADIUSDMG
    +ACTLIKEBRIDGE
    +DONTRIP
    +Invulnerable
    States
    {
    Spawn:
        JPPD A 1 
        goto see
    See:
        JPPD A 1
        JPPD A 0 A_Jumpifcloser(10, "Melee", True)
        LOOP
    Melee:
        JPPD A 0 A_FaceTarget
        JPPD A 1 A_ChangeVelocity(0, 0, 240,)
        JPPD BCDEFGHI 0
        JPPD HGFEDCBA 1
        Goto See
    Pain:
        JPPD A 0 A_Pain
        Goto See
Death:
    TNT1 A 0 A_Scream
    Stop
    }
}

I think you might be better off using ACS in the map itself using an "enter sector" action in UDMF. Then just place the pad actor there in the square sector it resides. You could even integrate the jump sound in the script as well.

6 minutes ago, Nevander said:

I think you might be better off using ACS in the map itself using an "enter sector" action in UDMF. Then just place the pad actor there in the square sector it resides. You could even integrate the jump sound in the script as well.

The Problem with that is, I know nothing when it comes to ACS coding, I can't find a good tutorial online.

but thanks for the advice,  seems like a better idea than what I had planned.

I think you need to have the JumpPad monster give its target an inventory item which will then use A_ChangeVelocity to push the target upwards.

Also, 240 is a very high speed.  Try 20 and tweak it from there.  How about A_ChangeVelocity (VelX, VelY, 20, CVF_REPLACE)?  That would leave the X and Y speeds the same, and set the Z speed to 20, rather than adding a value to the Z speed.

Got the JumpPad problem fixed, but unfortunately I ran into a problem involving a custom decorate weapon, when I load it into GZDoom, I am unable to select it, despite the KEYCONF being fine, I think it's the main decorate that's the problem,

Do you see anything wrong with it, GZDoom itself, when loading the custom content, doesn't really find an issue, but ingame the weapon can't be picked up, and is not usable.

ACTOR CyberGloveHand : Weapon 6007
{
  Weapon.AmmoUse 0
  Weapon.AmmoGive 12
  Weapon.AmmoType "cell"
  Attacksound "CYBRGLVF"
  Scale 0.5
  Inventory.PickupSound "cyberglove/Pickup"
  Weapon.BobStyle Alpha
  Weapon.BobRangeX 0.6
  Weapon.BobRangeX 0.7
  Weapon.BobSpeed 1.2
  Weapon.SlotNumber 2
  Weapon.SlotPriority 0
  +NOALERT
  +NOAUTOFIRE
  Inventory.PickupMessage "You pick up the cyber-glove."
  States
  {
    Spawn:
    CYPP A -1
    Stop
  Ready:
    CYBL ABCBADEFED 3 A_WeaponReady
    Loop
  Select:
    CYBL A 0 A_Raise
    CYBL A 1 A_Raise
    loop
  Deselect:
    CYBL A 0 A_Lower
    CYBL A 1 A_Lower
    loop
   Fire:
    CYHF A 1
    CYHF BCDE 2 BRIGHT
    CYHF E 0 BRIGHT A_PlaySound("CYBRGLVF")
    CYHF E 0 BRIGHT A_FireCustomMissile("CyberPlasma")
    CYHF DCB 1 BRIGHT
    CYHF A 0 A_ReFire
    Goto Ready
  }
}
ACTOR CyberPlasma
{
  Radius 11
  Height 8
  Speed 75
  Damage 8
  Projectile
  +RANDOMIZE
  DamageType "Electric"
  States
  {
  Spawn:
    CYHF ABCDE 3 Bright
    Loop
  Death:
    CYHF FGH 2 Bright
    Stop
  }
}

Is there a way to organize textures in a wad? For instance, can I create a custom folder with just the textures I want to use in my map?

No such things as folders in wads; they are "flat" archives. What you can do is create marker lumps to separate groups of patches and flats, but that's all. And editors will ignore them anyway and show you the full list of all available textures.

That is, if you're only using wad files. If you use a PK3 file to put your mod in, you can use folders. I'd only recommend it for bigger mods that really do need that organization, though.

I'm using Otex and would like to be able to pick from a smaller pool that fits my theme rather than scrolling through all 2037 of its textures. Which editors work with pk3 files?

Doom Builder 2 and forks; SLADE 3.

While it's okay for you to make a cut-down resource with just the textures you're planning on using, keep in mind that the author of OTEX doesn't want you to redistribute modified version, so you should keep it separate from your mod.

Hi. Simple question: If I was to resize a base game texture to a higher resolution, does the texture size information need to be changed anywhere, or will the texture resize as appropriate, automatically? 

How are you resizing it? In terms of directly replacing an existing texture within a WAD, the usages of the texture within the game would be replaced accordingly, so if you change a 64x128 texture into a 128x128, it wouldn't tile every 64x128 like it used to, but every 128x128. This question is the kind of one that falls under the category of "try it yourself first", as that's certainly the quickest way to learn things about the game and the tools around it. :)

Hope this helps.

On 5/16/2019 at 10:41 PM, AJOgames said:

Got the JumpPad problem fixed, but unfortunately I ran into a problem involving a custom decorate weapon, when I load it into GZDoom, I am unable to select it, despite the KEYCONF being fine, I think it's the main decorate that's the problem,

Do you see anything wrong with it, GZDoom itself, when loading the custom content, doesn't really find an issue, but ingame the weapon can't be picked up, and is not usable.

ACTOR CyberGloveHand : Weapon 6007
{
  Weapon.AmmoUse 0
  Weapon.AmmoGive 12
  Weapon.AmmoType "cell"
  Attacksound "CYBRGLVF"
  Scale 0.5
  Inventory.PickupSound "cyberglove/Pickup"
  Weapon.BobStyle Alpha
  Weapon.BobRangeX 0.6
  Weapon.BobRangeX 0.7
  Weapon.BobSpeed 1.2
  Weapon.SlotNumber 2
  Weapon.SlotPriority 0
  +NOALERT
  +NOAUTOFIRE
  Inventory.PickupMessage "You pick up the cyber-glove."
  States
  {
    Spawn:
    CYPP A -1
    Stop
  Ready:
    CYBL ABCBADEFED 3 A_WeaponReady
    Loop
  Select:
    CYBL A 0 A_Raise
    CYBL A 1 A_Raise
    loop
  Deselect:
    CYBL A 0 A_Lower
    CYBL A 1 A_Lower
    loop
   Fire:
    CYHF A 1
    CYHF BCDE 2 BRIGHT
    CYHF E 0 BRIGHT A_PlaySound("CYBRGLVF")
    CYHF E 0 BRIGHT A_FireCustomMissile("CyberPlasma")
    CYHF DCB 1 BRIGHT
    CYHF A 0 A_ReFire
    Goto Ready
  }
}
ACTOR CyberPlasma
{
  Radius 11
  Height 8
  Speed 75
  Damage 8
  Projectile
  +RANDOMIZE
  DamageType "Electric"
  States
  {
  Spawn:
    CYHF ABCDE 3 Bright
    Loop
  Death:
    CYHF FGH 2 Bright
    Stop
  }
}

Sorry for the late reply, but my Internet was out since Thursday night.  Maybe your KEYCONF isn't fine after all.  Please post it so we (I and others, not the royal pronoun) can see if the problem is there.

Maybe your sprites are missing or not where the game can find them (between S_START and S_END in a wad or in the Sprites folder in a PK3).

Also, although it would cause  completely different problem, your projectile is too fast.  It's collisions will be buggy, so it might occasionally go through monsters, or even walls.  To fix this without having to slow it down, have it inherit from FastProjectile.

I'm looking for some textures for selves, lockers, things like that. Does anyone know a texture pack that has some those things that I can use?

I've checked through several textures packs on Realm667 including Potpourri, but none of them really have what I'm looking for; sinks, chairs, ovens, beds, selves, the kind of things you'd find in a lived in environment. I know several mods I've played have these kind of things, like Blade of Agony and the Mars and Earth sections of Hell on Earth, but I'd rather avoid taking textures from them without asking. Is there a certain etiquette for borrowing textures? I new to doom modding so I don't know what constitutes being an asshole in this community.

3 hours ago, Lianam said:

Is there a certain etiquette for borrowing textures? I new to doom modding so I don't know what constitutes being an asshole in this community.

The Readme file that comes with most mods usually says whether or not you're allowed to use its resources. If there's no information about that, then you should try asking the mod's author directly. If you take resources without permission, there's a high chance you'll piss someone off.

Is anyway to offset the textures of flats the same way you can to wall textures and scale textures? I tried modifying parameters in the custom tabs of sectors and lindefs in UDMF, but they don't seem to be doing anything.

Edited by Lianam

6 hours ago, Lianam said:

Is anyway to offset the textures of flats the same way you can to wall textures and scale textures? I tried modifying parameters in the custom tabs of sectors and lindefs in UDMF, but they don't seem to be doing anything.

Since you are using UDMF you are in luck. Can even be done interactively in the previewer mode.

Adjust offsets of flats

yeOvukt.png

Similarly you can adjust the offsets of linedef textures

AkbBmvX.png

Edited by Kappes Buur

This may have been asked before, in which case I apologize.

Say you have a Vanilla-compatible wad but want to include a DeHackEd patch. Can you embed a DEHACKED lump for advanced ports while including a separate patch for vanilla ports? Or will they conflict?

11 minutes ago, DuckReconMajor said:

Say you have a Vanilla-compatible wad but want to include a DeHackEd patch. Can you embed a DEHACKED lump for advanced ports while including a separate patch for vanilla ports? Or will they conflict?

I think the rule of thumb usually is that whatever is loaded last will override whatever precedes it. Whether that holds true for dehacked patches I don't know. However, if you're gonna have 2 DEHs anyway, might was well not put any in the wad, and tell people to load whichever one is intended for source port of choice.

Another option, depending on what ports are your target advanced ports - You can redefine the modified actors with DECORATE/EDF/what have you.