Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

I am having a very strange issue with a Boom map I've been working on when running it in GZDoom. At the very start of the map, looking slightly to the left crashes GZDoom on the same spot every time. And not the crash with a message, but it just freezes with the midi running. Not only that, but if I move my mouse to the right and spin my character 360 degrees, the problem no longer occurs and I can play the map as normal. At that point, starting a new game and looking left no longer causes the issue. It only occurs when initially launching the map and running GZDoom. Any idea at all as to what could be causing such a bug? Happens both with 4.3.1 and after updating to 4.3.3.

Edit: And the culprit is 7 extra lines nearby slightly rounding out a rock wall!

Situation normal:

Spoiler

REigvTM.jpg

Crash on startup:

Spoiler

sGh6K5l.jpg

Edited by Spectre01

Do you know if there's a way to stop 'props' (decorative things) from being pushed around? I have a few decorations close to moving platforms, and when they move they tend to 'pick up' the object, even though the hitbox isn't touching. Not only that, but technically the object is below the platform, so when it starts moving down, the object pops up into the air in a very jarring fashion. Simply setting the position to absolute doesn't help.

12 hours ago, Gradius said:

Do you know if there's a way to stop 'props' (decorative things) from being pushed around? I have a few decorations close to moving platforms, and when they move they tend to 'pick up' the object, even though the hitbox isn't touching. Not only that, but technically the object is below the platform, so when it starts moving down, the object pops up into the air in a very jarring fashion. Simply setting the position to absolute doesn't help.

What port are you aiming to?

Not sure, but I would try to use some of the physics flags:

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Actor_flags#Physics

Like this one:

-MOVEWITHSECTOR

or

+RELATIVETOFLOOR

12 hours ago, Jaska said:

What port are you aiming to?

GZDoom/UDMF. Was hoping not to use decorate though, since that means they won't work normally in places where I might want ordinary behaviour.

I got this huge tank model.
C84oXHS.png

I've done collision with 3D-floors.

Now this happens. Tank is rendered:
v63jP5u.png

And now it disappears:
nawy90E.png

So.. Even if I modify 3d floors so, that the models center(that cube from which you can move the model in editor) is visible to player this happens.

I had same problem with a long pipe but changing the 3d-floor I got it working.

Without 3d-floors the big tank renders just fine. I tried inverting 3d-floor render rules, didn't work. So what are boundary conditions to this kind of cases?

I'm making breakable supply crate.

So I've this actor (mostly from doom enhanced)

ACTOR BreakableWood : BaseDecoModelSolid
{
    -INVULNERABLE
    deathheight 24
    health 50

States
      {
      Spawn:
        AAAA A -1
        stop
      Pain:
        AAAA A 5 A_PlaySound("gibbage/xwood")
        goto Spawn
      Death:
        AAAA A 0 A_PlaySound("gibbage/xwood")
        TNT1 A 0 A_CustomMissile ("WoodGib", 32, 2, random(0,360), 2, 6)
        TNT1 A 0 A_CustomMissile ("WoodGib2", 40, 2, random(0,360), 2, 10)    
        TNT1 A 0 A_CustomMissile ("WoodGib", 12, 2, random(0,360), 2, 20)
        TNT1 A 0 A_CustomMissile ("WoodGib", 32, 2, random(0,360), 2, 15)
        TNT1 A 0 A_CustomMissile ("WoodGib2", 20, 2, random(0,360), 2, 8)    
        TNT1 A 0
        stop
      }
}

Then I have the model for it:

ACTOR box11_supply1 : BreakableWood
  //$Title BreakableSupplyCrate
  //$Category Models/Supply
{
    Health 70
    Radius 10
    Height 25

}

How can I spawn an item when breaking that box without need of making a new actor for every item? If I redefine states it overrides inherited states and I should copy/paste everything anyway. I'm obviously not getting something here..

1 hour ago, Jaska said:

I'm making breakable supply crate.

So I've this actor (mostly from doom enhanced)

ACTOR BreakableWood : BaseDecoModelSolid
{
    -INVULNERABLE
    deathheight 24
    health 50

States
      {
      Spawn:
        AAAA A -1
        stop
      Pain:
        AAAA A 5 A_PlaySound("gibbage/xwood")
        goto Spawn
      Death:
        TNT1 A 0
        stop
      }
}

Then I have the model for it:

{
    Health 70
    Radius 10
    Height 25

}

How can I spawn an item when breaking that box without need of making a new actor for every item? If I redefine states it overrides inherited states and I should copy/paste everything anyway. I'm obviously not getting something here..

This page should help you if you have not checked it yet:

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Classes:RandomSpawner

And this one too:

https://zdoom.org/wiki/A_SpawnItemEx

Basically it has to look like this:

Death:
        TNT1 A 0 A_SpawnItemEx("CrateSpawner")
        stop
      }
}

Actor CrateSpawner : RandomSpawner
{
    DropItem "YOURITEMHERE", Chance 1 to 256 of spawn
}

Though this should be well to go on your model too, but I have never worked with them before.

You can try this, else do this on your model:

{
    Health 70
    Radius 10
    Height 25
    States
    {
     TNT1 A 0 A_SpawnItemEx("CrateSpawner")
     stop
    }
}

Actor CrateSpawner : RandomSpawner
{
}

Do not literally write "Chance x", just the number obviously :p (DropItem "HEALTHBONUS", 256 - For example)

Add a call to A_Fall in the death state, this will make the crate drop its DropItems. Then you can define a lot of crate variants, only having to redefine their DropItem lists rather than copy-pasting the state code.

//$Title SupplyCrateSmall_empty
{
    +PUSHABLE
    Health 25
    Radius 14
    Height 25
}

ACTOR SupplyHealthS : box11_supply1
  //$Title SupplyCrateHealthSmall
{
    Dropitem "stimpack", 255
    Dropitem "stimbonus", 128
    Dropitem "healthbonus", 192
}

Hmmh, now model isn't rendered for some reason on SupplyhealthS's case. Box11_supply1 it renders.

So does this mean I have to have model definitions for all of the crates?

Edited by Jaska

I've seen some wads using helper dogs' slot (thing 140) for custom monsters lately, but I couldn't find its frames numbers anywhere. I want to change the duration of its pain state frame, for example. How do I do it?

I'm sure it's in some MBF text file somewhere, but for a quick reference you can take a look here:

https://github.com/coelckers/gzdoom/blob/master/wadsrc/static/dehsupp.txt

MBFHelperDog, Spawn, 27, // [MBF] S_DOGS_STND - S_DOGS_RAISE6 972-998

Tells you that dog frame numbers range from 972 to 998.

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Classes:MBFHelperDog

That puts the See state at 974, Melee at 982, Pain at 985, Death at 987, and Raise at 993.

I'm having this really aggravating issue with voodoo closets. I'm working on a boom compatible wad, and every time I go in to test, it plops me down in some random voodoo closet. Now I'm sure people will say "Just delete and replace the main player start," but here's the catch: I replace the main player start, and after making ANY change whatsoever to the map, it will spawn me back in the voodoo closet. even if I don't add any player 1 starts or modify the closets at all, it does this. I have to replace the player 1 start every damn time I want to test my map and it's getting on my nerves after 20 or so test runs.

Does this happen to everyone? Is this just something I have to deal with, or is there something internal that's causing the player start to reset that I am not aware of? Any solutions?

Here's a trick @Jimmy taught me like 2 years ago now. This assumes you're using modern tools like GZDB or UDB or whatever has the ability to rotate selection. I can't remember what version of DB introduced this. :P

• Select both the offending voodoo doll and the intended player start.
    • (If you're not sure which voodoo it is causing the issues, texture your closets differently to make it easy to identify)
  • Next, press E.
  • Grab one of the corners, then rotate the entire selection 180 degrees.
  • Done.

Also, when you place the mouse pointer over a thing on DB, it shows it's number (thing 14, thing 156, etc). The player start with the highest number will be where you spawn.

22 hours ago, Arbys550 said:

Does this happen to everyone? Is this just something I have to deal with, or is there something internal that's causing the player start to reset that I am not aware of? Any solutions?

Yeah. It (the editor, in this case) recycles the thing numbers in a slightly annoying fashion. So just deleting and then re-adding doesn't cause the player starts to reflect the last created start.

I'd like to ask about colormaps; how can I replace the visibility of the invulnerability powerup to something other than the black and white visuals? Basically something similar to what Doom 4 Vanilla did with creating a green tint instead of the regular black and white. If anyone could help me out with this I'd be very thankful, as I have zero knowledge about colormaps or how they're even created.

@valkiriforce In SLADE, you can export the COLORMAP lump as a PNG file, edit it with your graphics editor of choice, then re-import it. The invulnerability effect is the inverted grayscale line near the bottom. You can copy the top row (the base colors) onto that row and apply effects to it as you see fit. It'll only have effect in renderers that actually refer to the COLORMAP; enhanced ports that use hardware/truecolor rendering do their own color processing and won't be affected, but that's their problem. Here's a relatively recent thread on the topic of colormaps in general, which may be useful if you're learning about that.

I have two questions:

1) with freelook on in gzdoom, is there a way to make the sky texture engross the whole sky instead of that weird wonky smooth looking bit in the middle?

2) what would be the best way to make warehouse shelves in Doom? Sprites that you can shoot through? Or a texture? Or just a bunch of 3d floors?

26 minutes ago, quickey said:

1) with freelook on in gzdoom, is there a way to make the sky texture engross the whole sky instead of that weird wonky smooth looking bit in the middle?

You'll want to use a skybox.

I've been having a weird problem with my first map (I've just started making some today), wich is that doors act like walls you can walk through when opened (i.e. you can't shoot through them, and monsters won't agro unless you walk through them). I'm using doom builder x, zdoom with hexen format. I can provide my map file if needed (but I won't be replying very soon). Any help could be of use.

On 2/23/2020 at 1:53 PM, quickey said:

2) what would be the best way to make warehouse shelves in Doom? Sprites that you can shoot through? Or a texture? Or just a bunch of 3d floors?

You can use 3D floors and invert the shootability rules - this allows hitscan to pass through but not projectiles.

Alternately, if you want projectiles to also pass through you could make them non-solid then use impassible lines to prevent players & enemies walking through them.

14233925645c03b25dc3c1fbea9fbba3.png3f98fc12ae911086242d0658e6d84995.png

A anew idea for teleporting monsters. So we have your usual set up, but the floor that drops out (or ceiling that raises) also continuously goes up and down, to possibly deny the monster from coming out, to throw a possible "random" chance of a monster coming out, like a slow trickle on purpose to keep enemies coming for in theory a long time. I have no idea how viable this is (will test it later) but was wondering if anyone had tried this before?

1 hour ago, quickey said:

A anew idea for teleporting monsters. So we have your usual set up, but the floor that drops out (or ceiling that raises) also continuously goes up and down, to possibly deny the monster from coming out, to throw a possible "random" chance of a monster coming out, like a slow trickle on purpose to keep enemies coming for in theory a long time. I have no idea how viable this is (will test it later) but was wondering if anyone had tried this before?

My "Lost civilization project", map13 uses up&down moving platforms to do this.