Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

57 minutes ago, Jaska said:

My "Lost civilization project", map13 uses up&down moving platforms to do this.

I'll have to check this out!

I recently, read yesterday, found 55: Line Set Blocking, and thought I could use that to make a breaking window effect, using an animated switch texture.

Then, today, I realized that it only changes the texture(plays the switch animation) on the front side, and only on the line that was triggered, even if multiple lines have the same tag.

I was about to give up, when I saw 49: Breakable Glass. Now, I thought it would only work in Hexen or Strife, but it turns out it works in Doom II as well(although no glass shards will spawn, oh well...)

So, to turn this little story into a question:

Is there a simple, or perhaps not so simple, way to make a breaking glass effect that spans multiple lines?

And secondly, is there a way to make the 'glass' react to nearby explosions, and not just direct fire?

...and thirdly, can I make it ignore shots fired above or below(respect the height of the mid texture)?

Was this miscellaneous enough?

5 hours ago, aletheos eberlain said:

Is there a simple, or perhaps not so simple, way to make a breaking glass effect that spans multiple lines?

This should get you started.

Is there a simple way to, after a whole monster closet is dispensed of, to lower a wall? I feel like its like starring me in the face, but because of a sudden change of schedule, my brain is scrambled.

17 hours ago, quickey said:

Is there a simple way to, after a whole monster closet is dispensed of, to lower a wall? I feel like its like starring me in the face, but because of a sudden change of schedule, my brain is scrambled.

There are a number of ways to do this, depending on the format of your map. Some are probably closer to what you're envisioning than others. Note that the names of the different actions will probably vary depending on your editor, but the action is what you're after.

• Vanilla/limit-removing
    • Mark the sector that defines the opening of the monster closet (the wall that rose to expose the closet) as a door type Open and Close in 30 seconds. You'll have to trigger it properly (whether it's W1 or S1, I don't remember), so the monster closet will open, the monsters will come out, and after 30 seconds, the wall will close. You'll want to make the back side of the door D1 Open Door and Close, just in case you're inside the monster closet when it closes.
  • Boom
    • Make a generalized version of the vanilla action where the door opens and closes. You could make it triggered by walkover line, switch, or shooting, and could close it after 1, 4, 9, or 30 seconds, so it won't necessarily have to be opening and mocking you for as long.
    • Set up a voodoo doll conveyor that would trigger the wall to lower after a certain amount of time. You would have to make sure that time was long enough for all the monsters to actually leave the monster closet, of course. Again, still tag the other side of the wall as a door, just in case you're inside the monster closet when it closes.
  • UDMF (probably even Doom-in-Hexen and Eternity)
    • You could probably have the wall lower once all the monsters are killed. You might even be able to have the wall lower once the monsters were all past a certain linedef. Someone with experience mapping in these formats could tell you about these ideas for sure and likely provide other ideas.

Alternately, you could always just make the closet a teleport monster closet. The monsters would be in a monster closet off in the void, so when they teleported in for the ambush, you wouldn't be left looking at a gaping hole in your wall because the closet wouldn't be physically connected to the room you were in. This technique would work in all formats.

18 hours ago, quickey said:

Simple? Tuck a switch in the closet and have pressing that switch do what you want it to.

I wonder if I should make lots of blue cubes. I'm going for that early 90s service aesthetic; when there was optimism.

asdf.png

I feel I should respond before I ask another question, so...

6 hours ago, 80sDoom said:

I wonder if I should make lots of blue cubes...

Yes. Also, you should go for that thing you're doing to the floor, but all the way up the walls, using midtextures(if at all possible. I haven't actually tried it...).

This question is mapping-related... I think.

Is there some forum standard for how to release maps, that I should be aware of before posting a new thread?

2 hours ago, aletheos eberlain said:

Is there some forum standard for how to release maps, that I should be aware of before posting a new thread?

It's stickied in the wads & mods subforum...

16 hours ago, aletheos eberlain said:

I feel I should respond before I ask another question, so...

Yes. Also, you should go for that thing you're doing to the floor, but all the way up the walls, using midtextures(if at all possible. I haven't actually tried it...).

Good point my dude! Can GZdoom builder 2 handle that?

9 hours ago, 80sDoom said:

Good point my dude! Can GZdoom builder 2 handle that?

Oh, if you're doing gzdoom, just use an insane amount of 3D-floors...

I like 3D-floors =)

(I'm on GZDoom Builder (BugFix) R3107 (64-bit), btw)

So, I tried following along with that video, and while I can get the GlassJunk actors, and a few others(like T_BLOOD), to spawn in the demo map linked to in the video description, they won't in my map. I must have tried every spawn- and thing function there is. And strangely enough, copying the precise line that spawns blood in the demo map into a script in my own map, just makes a monster cry sound, and spawns nothing.

edit: ...wait, I tried again, and it seems the blood spawns when the map spot is some distance away from the line(the breaking window).

edit2: Nah, it's when I try to spawn the GlassJunk actor that it spawns an imp instead, and I guess it died because there wasn't enough space?

edit3: I'm going to stick with the SpawnProjectile function. It seems to mostly do what I want, but I think I might have to define a new actor...

so, time to learn DECORATE, I guess?

Actual question: When I shoot out the glass, it seems I can't hit another pane right next to it, or hit the one behind it until a second or two have passed(presumably the script only runs one instance at a time?) I feel like I've seen a solution to this very recently, but I can't remember where.

What am I doing wrong here?

GZD_001.png

Edited by aletheos eberlain

45 minutes ago, aletheos eberlain said:

edit2: Nah, it's when I try to spawn the GlassJunk actor that it spawns an imp instead

If you use 49: GlassBreak you do not need to spawn GlassJunk actors by script, it's done automatically. You just need to provide SHAR sprites for the ABCDEF frames.

48 minutes ago, aletheos eberlain said:

Actual question: When I shoot out the glass, it seems I can't hit another pane right next to it, or hit the one behind it until a second or two have passed(presumably the script only runs one instance at a time?) I feel like I've seen a solution to this very recently, but I can't remember where.

Use 226: ACS_ExecuteAlways instead of 80: ACS_Execute.

3 minutes ago, Gez said:

That's the one! Thank you.

3 minutes ago, Gez said:

If you use 49: GlassBreak you do not need to spawn GlassJunk actors by script, it's done automatically. You just need to provide SHAR sprites for the ABCDEF frames.

I'm sure I'll figure out what that means, soon enough, but how then do I overcome the single line limit? 49: GlassBreak only works one line at a time, and the unfortunate placement of my windows means they overlap with ceiling details, so...

I could ctrl + click when I drag lines, and it will ignore previous lines. That works well enough, until I make any edit to the map, and the lines are automatically split.

I get this error message in GZDoom Builder (BugFix) R3107 (64-bit)

What is this? It has started happening today, and now I can barely work on my map anymore.

image.png.a7cfc7785755789c7b5ce441a262af91.png 

A few minutes of zommin' about fiddling with textures, and boom, this message, then crash.

Odd error, it's difficult to tell what's going on with it just with that info.

GZDB-BF is no longer the latest version of Doom Builder anyway. You should try Ultimate Doom Builder and see if that helps any.

Not sure what that error is on about...

As for GZDoom Bugfix 64 bit... I dunno what version I was using when it would crash so I switched to 32 bit and that fixed the crashes. Now I use Ultimate Doom Builder like Alper002 mentioned and that works fine on here. So you may want to try switching Builders.

I must have read the wiki page about the MAPINFO lump a million times(not really) but I can't find anything about how to use intermissions.

I know to define an intermission in an intermission block in the MAPINFO lump, but then what? How do I actually use it, and how does it transition to the next level?

What I'm trying to do is make a text scroll between two of my maps, like the intermission text after Doom 2's map06.

Using a cluster definition with EnterText for the second map works almost how I want it to, but that doesn't allow me to format the text(color, font, position, etc). So, I figured I'd try an intermission.

I put the intermission name in the SecretNext property (I tried both with and without ""), but it either got completely ignored, or the Doom 2 ending rolled instead.

I'm almost tempted to just do it all in ACS with HudMessage...

19 hours ago, Gez said:

It's in the map definition step, set your map to have "next = endsequence, my_custom_intermission_name_here".

Yupp, that unfortunately seems to be it. Intermissions do not work as secrets... damn.

Well, I can just quietly invert what is and isn't a secret level. No prob...

so, how do I tell which map should load after an intermission text?

Edit2: After a bit more trial and plenty of error...

Intermission definitions are, despite their name, not between levels, but at the end of episodes.

Using clusters with EnterText and ExitText seems to be the way to print text between maps.

When using lookup, <lumpname> for EnterText, the text is formated to cover the entire width of the screen, but

when typing the message as a string literal directly into MAPINFO, you get the default(?) narrow column of text.

No options seem to exist for formatting and coloring the text... oh well.

I will have to settle with typing the text into MAPINFO, for now. In the future I will look into making special intermission

maps with only text/graphics and no gameplay. HudMessageBold is probably my best available tool for more advanced

things.

I think I've been dealing with outdoor areas incorrectly - can someone help?

For example, below is a window that looks out onto a little porch with a railing, essentially:

texturequestion.png.ae5d6f60ccc26a0c593b92a34b63baac.png

Hovering over the back linedef of the railing, I have a missing texture on purpose, so the player can essentially look off the edge (the SKY ceiling does the trick). This looks fine in GZDoom, but I had a playtester using ZDoom, and you get a HOM.

Now, I can set the ceiling to 30 on the railing as well, and do the same for the porch, but now the back of the window has a missing texture, which I need to leave as missing, because I can't block my own window!

Any way to resolve this scenario? I usually have at least one on every map I'm working on.

10 minutes ago, noisebloom said:

Any way to resolve this scenario? I usually have at least one on every map I'm working on.

You'll need an additional sector behind the walls with the missing texture. Set its floor and ceiling to 30, and use F_SKY1 on the ceiling, leaving the upper texture as missing. That'll solve it in software.

4 minutes ago, Lüt said:

You'll need an additional sector behind the walls with the missing texture. Set its floor and ceiling to 30, and use F_SKY1 on the ceiling, leaving the upper texture as missing. That'll solve it in software.

I'll give it a shot - thanks!

One more question...

I've continually noticed that prboom+ does not seem to care about the direction my Player 1 start is facing. Any way this can be changed/fixed?

24 minutes ago, noisebloom said:

One more question...

I've continually noticed that prboom+ does not seem to care about the direction my Player 1 start is facing. Any way this can be changed/fixed?

I don't know how I did it, but I "fixed" it by trying out different player rotations... After a few changes, I changed it back just forward facing and I thought I fixed it but it seems to be random every you start PrBoom... I don't know.

Edited by Agentbromsnor : Wrong topic. Oops!

5 hours ago, noisebloom said:

One more question...

From what I recall and could tell, the problem is that when the mouse gets "caught" by prboom+, it also detects that mouse movement in-game at the first tick.

Does moving the mouse to where the window usually appears right after you press the test button fix it?