Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

7 hours ago, el_inf said:

How to rotate the grid in UDB?

There is no grid rotation in UDB, or any other Doom editor.

However, what you can do is, you can rotate the entire map or any part thereof, depending on the mode used.

For example to rotate the map in UDB, ensure that Synchronized Editing is enabled, then highlight the whole map, in either Sector Mode or Linedef Mode, and enter the Edit Selection Mode (E). Then grab one of the four corner grab points (yellow) and drag the map to the desired angle.

ffNxTAp.png

2 hours ago, Kappes Buur said:

There is no grid rotation in UDB, or any other Doom editor.

However, what you can do is, you can rotate the entire map or any part thereof, depending on the mode used.

For example to rotate the map in UDB, ensure that Synchronized Editing is enabled, then highlight the whole map, in either Sector Mode or Linedef Mode, and enter the Edit Selection Mode (E). Then grab one of the four corner grab points (yellow) and drag the map to the desired angle.

ffNxTAp.png

But here http://www.twitch.tv/bridgeburner56/v/717394875?sr=a&t=751s

I can clearly see that the grid has rotated, not the map

10 hours ago, el_inf said:

How to rotate the grid in UDB?

Go to Tools -> Preferences -> Controls and filter for "smart grid transform". Assign a key to that. In Linedefs mode highlight a line and press the key, the grid will now rotate to that line's angle, with the origin being at the line's vertex the mouse is closest to. To reset the transform don't highlight anything and press the key. Setting the origin also works in Vertex Mode and Things Mode, resetting works in all modes.

1 hour ago, el_inf said:

But here http://www.twitch.tv/bridgeburner56/v/717394875?sr=a&t=751s

I can clearly see that the grid has rotated, not the map

You are correct and I stand corrected.

Boris added this feature relatively recently, which slipped passed me without noticing.

It is transform instead of rotate.

39 minutes ago, boris said:

Go to Tools -> Preferences -> Controls and filter for "smart grid transform". Assign a key to that. In Linedefs mode highlight a line and press the key, the grid will now rotate to that line's angle, with the origin being at the line's vertex the mouse is closest to. To reset the transform don't highlight anything and press the key. Setting the origin also works in Vertex Mode and Things Mode, resetting works in all modes.

According to the UDB changelog

R3423 | 12b39064 | biwa | 10.04.2020, 13:40
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Added "Smart Grid Transform" action that sets grid transformation based on the 
selected elements.
Vertex selected: set grid origin to that vertex.
Linedef selected: align grid to that linedef.
Nothing selected: reset grid transformation to the default coordinate system.
No default key bound.

Such a useful feature.

hVZeaiN.png

22 minutes ago, Kappes Buur said:

You are correct and I stand corrected.

Boris added this feature relatively recently, which slipped passed me without noticing.

It is transform instead of rotate.

The feature was originally added by @Volte in PR 252, I just added the "smart" part, as the original implementation has different actions for align to linedef/set origin to vertex/reset, and having it all in one key is just more convenient.

I've got a question. I'm using SLADE to find the doom 2 textures i want to edit, but i can't find the logo for doom2. Does anyone knwo the file name/format/location of the title screen's logo?

40 minutes ago, Dr. Nick said:

I've got a question. I'm using SLADE to find the doom 2 textures i want to edit, but i can't find the logo for doom2. Does anyone know the file name/format/location of the title screen's logo?

The graphic with the logo seen in the menu is known as M_DOOM. It is formatted same as sprites, and the patches that make up the wall textures.

3 minutes ago, Alper002 said:

The graphic with the logo seen in the menu is known as M_DOOM. It is formatted same as sprites, and the patches that make up the wall textures.

Thank you!

Few questions I have about Boom format

How can I make it so when I kill an enemy a door opens?

Similar to the first one, how can I make it so when I kill an enemy the level ends?

How can I use the skybox from the city levels of Doom2 in levels that don't use that skybox texture?

How can I make those bridges that use stair textures?

How do I change the name of a level? (so Map01 isn't Entryway but another name)

What do I have to do to add a custom animated texture? (I have for example EX_01 and EX_02 and i want them to function like an animated texture, but when I insert them they don't move like they should.)

Edited by Tor1zo

1 hour ago, Tor1zo said:

Similar to the first one, how can I make it so when I kill an enemy the level ends?

Boom has no such actions. You can only use the built in behaviour Vanilla already had.

1 hour ago, Tor1zo said:

How can I use the skybox from the city levels of Doom2 in levels that don't use that skybox texture?

Boom doesn't have this (outside of just replacing the SKY1 texture outright), however MBF does, as does the 2019/2020 rerelease.

1 hour ago, Tor1zo said:

This is actually a vanilla trick: https://www.doomworld.com/tutorials/fx8.php

1 hour ago, Tor1zo said:

Also a vanilla question: You need to replace both the level name texture and swap out the string in dehacked. As indicated above, the 2019/2020 rerelease has an alternative.

1 hour ago, Tor1zo said:

What do I have to do to add a custom animated texture? (I have for example EX_01 and EX_02 and i want them to function like an animated texture, but when I insert them they don't move like they should.)

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/ANIMATED

1 minute ago, Edward850 said:

Boom has no such actions. You can only use the built in behaviour Vanilla already had.

Then what is the Vanilla behaviour?

Just now, Tor1zo said:

Then what is the Vanilla behaviour?

Doom1:

• E1M8: Triggers lowerFloorToLowest for sectors tagged 666 when all Barons die.
  • E2M8: Level ends when all Cyberdemons die.
  • E3M8: Level ends when all Spider Masterminds die.
  • E4M6: Triggers blazeOpen for sectors tagged 666 when all Cyberdemons die.
  • E4M8: Triggers lowerFloorToLowest for sectors tagged 666 when all Spider Masterminds die.

Doom2:

• Map07: Triggers lowerFloorToLowest for sectors tagged 666 when all Mancubi die, and Triggers raiseToTexture for sectors tagged 667 when all Arachnotrons die.

Foot notes:
MAP30 has no special behaviour (sans monsters being able to telefrag), it ends because the icon of sin has a code pointer in its frames that ends the level. You can only add code pointers to other enemies by replacing their frames in dehacked, it cannot be per level behaviour.

This is the same for MAP32, the Commander Keen deaths use a code pointer in their frames to reveal the switch once all enemies (the keens ion this case) of the same type are dead.

The 2019/2020 rerelease can apply the MAP07 behaviour for Mancubi and Arachnotrons to any map via DMAPINFO.

3 hours ago, Tor1zo said:

You have to use a voodoo doll on a conveyor with appropriate linedef action specials

You have to use a voodoo doll on a conveyor with appropriate linedef action specials

Replace SKY1 and SKY3 with SKY2 so that only the SKY2 is shown throughout

Use the texture editor in Slade3 to edit TEXTURE1 and PNAMES

https://www.doomworld.com/tutorials/fx7.php
https://www.doomworld.com/tutorials/fx8.php

MAP01 uses the graphic CWILV00.
You have to replace it with whatever you want to name it. This is done in a graphic app (for example Paint.net). Name your new graphic CWILV00 and use Slade3 to insert into your map.

Use Whacked (Windows version of DeHacked) to change the string in the automap.

You have to use an ANIMATED lump.
Create a dat file and run it through SWANTBLS.exe

Then insert into your pwad with Slade3

Example pwad for a boom conveyor

conveyor_boom.7z

Edited by Kappes Buur : added a link to BOOM utils

3 minutes ago, Kappes Buur said:

That's not something that can trigger when an enemy is killed.

1 hour ago, Tor1zo said:

Few questions I have about Boom format

All in all it would a lot easier if you used Doom in Hexen format or UDMF.

1 hour ago, Tor1zo said:

3 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

This is the same for MAP32, the Commander Keen deaths use a code pointer in their frames to reveal the switch once all enemies (the keens ion this case) of the same type are dead.

I don't know all the details, but from what I understand, you can apply the Keen_Die code pointer to other monsters via DeHacked. In that case, you could add the Keen_Die pointer to the boss monster. When the boss was killed, you could set it up so a door (tagged 666) on a conveyor belt would open and a voodoo doll would then  be free to move across a walkover exit line. Obviously, that would only work in Boom.

You might be able to do something like that in vanilla, but it would best a very contrived setup. You kill the monster with the Keen_Die pointer, which triggers the 666 tagged door to open. The door was blocking a chaingunner/sergeant, who know shoots in the direction of the voodoo doll, but hits a barrel between it and the doll, blowing up the barrel and blowing the voodoo doll over a walkover exit line. I suppose you could combine it with a mikoveyor, that would also allow the voodoo doll to trigger a fast crusher to crush the chaingunner/sergeant (for those that care about being able to max a level) before crossing the walkover exit line. Here's a prefab of a minimum damage mikoveyor, courtesy of Linguica and Nine Inch Heels.

What's the pickup radius for items?

I'm considering trying to make a switch which refills the player's cell ammo (or health, or armor), but I'm not sure it's worth the effort. Here's how I'm thinking it could work: The switch lowers a lift upon which a voodoo doll is placed, and the lift descends past some sectors at lower heights (140 units lower than the previous one, because that should take one second of lift travel), each of which has an item on it. The voodoo doll would, in theory, pick the items up as the lift passes.

The trick would be that I'd need to give the open space at the bottom of the lift enough space to accommodate the entire size of the voodoo doll so it doesn't get stuck as the lift lowers, and I'd need to arrange the sectors with the items so that the items are balanced at the height I want them to be at. Does that sound feasible?

17 hours ago, Stabbey said:

What's the pickup radius for items?

I'm considering trying to make a switch which refills the player's cell ammo (or health, or armor), but I'm not sure it's worth the effort. Here's how I'm thinking it could work: The switch lowers a lift upon which a voodoo doll is placed, and the lift descends past some sectors at lower heights (140 units lower than the previous one, because that should take one second of lift travel), each of which has an item on it. The voodoo doll would, in theory, pick the items up as the lift passes.

The trick would be that I'd need to give the open space at the bottom of the lift enough space to accommodate the entire size of the voodoo doll so it doesn't get stuck as the lift lowers, and I'd need to arrange the sectors with the items so that the items are balanced at the height I want them to be at. Does that sound feasible?

Have you considered dropping items on doll's head instead? Not that I found it very reliable.

What are the best Model Poser Programs out there?

Edited by HitBoi64

how can i get the miniwad iwad to work with eureka? when i try to make a new project using it i get this error message: That game is not supported (no definition file).

2 minutes ago, ViolentBeetle said:

Is it possible to use DeHackEd to exclude a monster from infighting (Make it neither retaliate, nor be retaliated against)?

Other than removing their ability to attack outright, no. That behaviour is an extremely explicit check of the Archvile ID, which itself only presents half the behaviour.

Remember, Dehacked can't add behaviour, only change its surrounding data.

Okay so I just saw this thread existed and I figure my stupid question/gimmick/whatever you want to call it regarding Dehacked may actually fit here.

I was playing around with Doom 1 modding earlier and since Doom doesn't have the SSG in it (the pickup can exist but you can't really use it AFAIK), I thought I'd try to make it into an enemy. The SSG, complete with it's respective pickup, has just enough frames to make a "functional" enemy theoretically. I pulled a random creature from Realm667, renamed and fitted the sprites for the SSG. After a bit of poking and "adding" stuff I got him to spawn but... he doesn't really act like an enemy? He'll stare dead at you but won't react to seeing you, despite having Look on both of his spawn states. He does react to gunfire but doesn't attack. I suspect this may be a limit with Dehacked, either that or PrBoom limits what pointers can actually be used when it comes to a vanilla dehacked file?

The easiest way I can ask this question is: are code pointers (such as Look, Chase, FaceTarget, etc.) only allowed to operate on objects that were originally enemies and NOT pickups (such as weapons, items, etc.)? It'd be interesting to know just how far one can push the limits of the vanilla engine, especially seeing how much modding potential Doom 1 has with it's unused slots thanks to Doom 2.

Linedef action 107 (WR Door close shut) isn't working for me, and I'm not sure why.

Does 107 only work on doors which can't be manually opened? How many seconds after the door finishes opening does it take for the linefef to work for closing the door?

1 hour ago, Stabbey said:

Linedef action 107 (WR Door close shut) isn't working for me, and I'm not sure why.

Does 107 only work on doors which can't be manually opened? How many seconds after the door finishes opening does it take for the linefef to work for closing the door?

In DOOM/BOOM format, linedef special 107 closes an already open door very fast when the player walks over the linedef. Give appropriate tags to the door sector and the linedef special.

43oVvET.png

Edited by Kappes Buur : added screenshot

Yes, I understand the concept of attaching a tag to the trigger and the line. My problem is that it does not seem to be working. I open the door manually (the door also has a tag), and it still takes the full 5 seconds to close even if I run across the line (which has the same tag) repeatedly.

Edited by Stabbey

21 minutes ago, Stabbey said:

Yes, I understand the concept of attaching a tag to the trigger and the line. My problem is that it does not seem to be working. I open the door manually (the door also has a tag), and it still takes the full 5 seconds to close even if I run across the line (which has the same tag) repeatedly.

Your using the wrong door trigger to open it. If you use Open Wait Close, the door is still active during that holding time between opening and closing. No action can override a sector already in the process of another action.

If you want to be able to manually close the door that initially opens, you need to use an open action that itself only manually opens, Door Open Stay.

14 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Your using the wrong door trigger to open it. If you use Open Wait Close, the door is still active during that holding time between opening and closing. No action can override a sector already in the process of another action.

If you want to be able to manually close the door that initially opens, you need to use an open action that itself only manually opens, Door Open Stay.

Thank you, that answered my question. I can change the manual action on the door, that should be fine.

On 8/25/2020 at 3:17 AM, Edward850 said:

The 2019/2020 rerelease can apply the MAP07 behaviour for Mancubi and Arachnotrons to any map via DMAPINFO.

wow other MAPINFO type more??? wtf

36 minutes ago, URROVA said:

wow other MAPINFO type more??? wtf

The original MAPINFO was a Hexen text lump, which bares little relation to the MAPINFO you probably know now from ZDoom. 

The new release needed a way to expand map definitions for addons but had no existing system it could sanely use, so Sponge created a DMAPINFO format, calling it as such to prevent potential conflicts, given we were already using a similar syntax for Doom64.