Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

1 hour ago, Edward850 said:

The original MAPINFO was a Hexen text lump, which bares little relation to the MAPINFO you probably know now from ZDoom. 

The new release needed a way to expand map definitions for addons but had no existing system it could sanely use, so Sponge created a DMAPINFO format, calling it as such to prevent potential conflicts, given we were already using a similar syntax for Doom64.

yes, i know that MAPINFO has its origins in Hexen, its sintax is based in lists, like DeHackEd, and not in blocks like ZDoom (block = {things} ). But at least for me is surprising the quantity of MAPINFO variants (Hexen MAPINFO, ZMAPINFO, EMAPINFO, UMAPINFO, RMAPINFO and now DMAPINFO xD)

On 8/25/2020 at 3:24 AM, Kappes Buur said:

Use the texture editor in Slade3 to edit TEXTURE1 and PNAMES

And how do I do that? do I rename a sky texture SKY1?

3 hours ago, Tor1zo said:

And how do I do that? do I rename a sky texture SKY1?

Decide which sky you want to change, according to the map to be played.

A sky image is either repeated 4 times, twice or not depending on the image size 256x128, 512x128 or 1024x128. And, of course, the image must tile perfectly in the horizontal. Name the image RSKY1, RSKY2 or RSKY3.

VIDEO

in the Texture Editor set the correct patch size.

1.  Doing some map making again but I have a problem with my Upgrade Stamina.  Is there a way for it to only give me Maximum HP and NOT heal fully?  Using GZDoom and if not can it be scripted or something?

2.  How many monsters and textures can be added to a wad before you get slowdowns?  What about levels?  My wad is nearing 100 MB

3.  Anyone have a STRBAR made with more keys and ammo types that can be used?

Edited by Zemini

I've been thinking recently of what kind of changes I could do to the spider mastermind to make her more viable. Would it be somehow possible to give her different extra attacks in dehacked?

Maybe lower the pain chance quite a bit, because the plasma rifle staggers it to the point where as long as you can keep firing, it can't hurt you at all. I had to completely give up and remove a plasma rifle and all cells from an area where I wanted a spider fight, because it was just a complete joke.

Perhaps it could also have similar behavior to the Revenant, which fires a missile immediately after being put into a pain state.

If you can get a second attack in, the idea I had in mind was suggest a homing projectile which moves slower, but follows the player around corners and walls, and it expires after a certain amount of time. So you can't simply duck behind a wall like for Revenant rockets, but need to keep away from it until it expires. But that's probably too complicated.

13 minutes ago, Stabbey said:

Maybe lower the pain chance quite a bit, because the plasma rifle staggers it to the point where as long as you can keep firing, it can't hurt you at all. I had to completely give up and remove a plasma rifle and all cells from an area where I wanted a spider fight, because it was just a complete joke.

Perhaps it could also have similar behavior to the Revenant, which fires a missile immediately after being put into a pain state.

If you can get a second attack in, the idea I had in mind was suggest a homing projectile which moves slower, but follows the player around corners and walls, and it expires after a certain amount of time. So you can't simply duck behind a wall like for Revenant rockets, but need to keep away from it until it expires. But that's probably too complicated.

I was thinking of something like that, though I wasn't asking for suggestions, my question was more from "Will learning how to use dehacked help me acheive my current goals"

Adding multiple attacks to an enemies in the proper "they can do one of however many attacks" way is only possible with MBF's dehacked (and above?), because it has the randomjump action. It'd allow the mastermind to randomly decide between going for its' hitscan or some other attack.

You could make it do an attack whenever it goes into it's pain state, so that firing at it isn't completely safe.

If you're gonna try and make the mastermind more dangerous, reducing it's radius would probably help. It'd be able to fit thinner spaces, which'd allow it to be more threatening overall. I can also recommend increasing movement speed for extra hitscan stress.

...And for good measure, having it shoot a rocket at you on death will be """fun""" ;)

2 hours ago, Alper002 said:

Adding multiple attacks to an enemies in the proper "they can do one of however many attacks" way is only possible with MBF's dehacked (and above?), because it has the randomjump action. It'd allow the mastermind to randomly decide between going for its' hitscan or some other attack.

You could make it do an attack whenever it goes into it's pain state, so that firing at it isn't completely safe.

If you're gonna try and make the mastermind more dangerous, reducing it's radius would probably help. It'd be able to fit thinner spaces, which'd allow it to be more threatening overall. I can also recommend increasing movement speed for extra hitscan stress.

...And for good measure, having it shoot a rocket at you on death will be """fun""" ;)

Shooting missiles sounds interesting. Would I need to go beyond limit-removing Doom 2 to realize that?

What the heck is the deal with 8 different skill levels when editing in UDMF mode? Ive read pages of stuff about UDMF, but nothing about skill levels? How does 8 fit into the universe?

Edited by Chipper35

27 minutes ago, Chipper35 said:

What the heck is the deal with 8 different skill levels when editing in UDMF mode? Ive read pages of stuff about UDMF, but nothing about skill levels? How does 8 fit into the universe?

That's less a UDMF thing but rather a ZDoom thing, as ZDoom can define an arbitrary number of skill levels.

Ok. Can you think of any popular wads that feature a wide range of skill levels in that regard? And, when starting......... dont players only have 5 to choose from??

38 minutes ago, Chipper35 said:

Ok. Can you think of any popular wads that feature a wide range of skill levels in that regard?

Not level sets, no.

38 minutes ago, Chipper35 said:

And, when starting......... dont players only have 5 to choose from??

The implication of defining new ones is that they would show up in the list to pick from.

I'm trying to build a room where some sections of the floor lower(or change) into a damage floor for a bit then go back to a normal floor. is that possible using udb in doom2 format?

1 minute ago, donevan427 said:

I'm trying to build a room where some sections of the floor lower(or change) into a damage floor for a bit then go back to a normal floor. is that possible using udb in doom2 format?

In Doom 2 there's no such action nor there is a way to defer an action on timer. In Boom you'd just have a voodoo doll on the coneyor crossing specific linedefs, but in Doom you can't do it. You can of course make floor go up and down changing texture. But you would need to personally run across the relevant linedef here or press a switch.

In case you need help with the latter, I recently built a map that is exactly this here. Check the red gut spots on yellow gut room to see how they sink and become lava pits.

thanks for the quick reply, not exactly what i was looking for but interesting with the dev room to make them lower into lava. I also noticed the teleport closets for monsters, how are those monsters alerted? I feel like if I did that they would just stand there waiting to see or hear doomguy. 

4 minutes ago, donevan427 said:

thanks for the quick reply, not exactly what i was looking for but interesting with the dev room to make them lower into lava. I also noticed the teleport closets for monsters, how are those monsters alerted? I feel like if I did that they would just stand there waiting to see or hear doomguy. 

The sectors are joined (Using J) with sectors in playable area. Since sound propagates on sector basis they will hear it even though there's no playable space between them and action.

Since I was also going to explain, but was slower, I may as well elaborate on some useful things to know with joining sectors:

• The first sector you select when selecting the sectors to join will be the one the other selected sectors will become
  • Pressing Shift+J does almost the same as just pressing J, only difference is that if the sectors you join are next to each other, the lines inbetween them will be removed.

On 5/29/2019 at 9:06 PM, Zemini said:

I want to get back into map editing however GZDoomBuilder is very slow and sometimes just stops working all together.  This seems to happen even when I open up a new empty map.  DId something go bad?  R3058

Well, in terms of editing: I have ONLY ever used Doom Builder 2.....so its hard for me to answer.....sure has a lot of features, though. It can be a tiny bit slow, at times.

Is there a way to flip a sector / group of sectors vertically or horizontally in Ultimate Doom Builder? I'm just looking to save some time so I don't need to redraw the mirrored versions.

16 minutes ago, Stabbey said:

Is there a way to flip a sector / group of sectors vertically or horizontally in Ultimate Doom Builder? I'm just looking to save some time so I don't need to redraw the mirrored versions.

The techique that i do is:

Select the sectors, press E and mirror it. (Stretch it but in reverse)

41 minutes ago, URROVA said:

The techique that i do is:

Select the sectors, press E and mirror it. (Stretch it but in reverse)

Oh, that's pretty neat. And to make sure I get the proportions right, I can often include a temporary 64*64 sector. Thanks.

Gotta question for you. Is there any way to create an ellipse with sides that are 128 units long or similar in the Doom Builders, or do I generally have to turn to some other mapping program in order to do this?

Ultimate Doom Builder and some earlier ones have an ellipse tool, and when drawing, you can see the side lengths.

You referring to side lengths or to diameter? Because my UDB's ellipse tool gives me diameter, but the length of each sidedef of the ellipse is something I don't know about until after I've created the ellipse itself.

1 minute ago, Rince-wind said:

Is DECORATE vanilla compatible or do I have to use DeHackEd?

DECORATE was an innovation introduced by ZDoom, hence, it is basically only compatible with zdoom-derived ports.

You must use dehacked when working with vanilla limitations.