Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

Yes. If you copied the vanilla skill definitions, did you remember to delete the "picname = whatever" lines? The name won't show if there's a picname defined.

4 minutes ago, Gez said:

Yes. If you copied the vanilla skill definitions, did you remember to delete the "picname = whatever" lines? The name won't show if there's a picname defined.

OH that's where I messed up. i still have picname. thank you I'll change that lol

On 12/16/2020 at 10:01 AM, SwampCyborg said:

What's the best way to set the player's max health automatically? Not with items, but just at the start of the levels, silently, no matter what conditions.

I was thinking of setting Player.MaxHealth with a DECORATE.txt, but I'm not familiar enough with the format to get it to work how I'd like. The instructions I can find don't work with my use case.

On 12/16/2020 at 5:22 PM, SwampCyborg said:

I'm sorry, I mean I'd like to set the player's maximum health, as in literally set the HP cap to a given value. I want to change that 200% to a different value (like 400%) and I'd like to be able to set it differently on different levels. (For instance, making the player subsist on 1%, or giving them a meaty 500% but no refills.)

Maybe I could set up a script the way you've showed me, then assign a variable directly somehow, after checking which map it's on?

Don't know if it's necessarily the best way, but this little ACS works

script "HPLimit" ENTER {
	SetActorProperty(0, APROP_SpawnHealth, 1 /* or 23, or whatever you want */);
	SetActorProperty(0, APROP_Health, 1 /* should probably be same as above */);
}

but a megasphere will still bring you to 200 200

(My first thought was to make inventory items that changed your max health, and that worked well enough, but for some reason setting the current health to match didn't update the HUD with the new value... no idea why)

Edited by aletheos eberlain

8 minutes ago, donevan427 said:

How much damage does a barrel do? I checked the wiki but it just says its effective.

The damage varies based on range, the further away something is from the barrel the less damage the explosion deals.

At most it can deal about 120 damage from my very quick testing. Since it is splash damage the damage should be unaffected by RNG.

13 minutes ago, AtticTelephone said:

How can I make invisible floors like the laser platforms in Sunlust MAP27 and Ancient Aliens MAP28?

for vanilla, you have to make self referencing sectors, these are sectors that all of their lines points to the inner sector, making it not rendering but the phisics of the floor keep being there. A more obvious example is Plutonia MAP02.

There is some tutorial for making 3D bridges: https://www.doomworld.com/tutorials/fx8.php

if is a fixed floor that you cant pass from below, skip the part with the dummy sector and the line actions, and only make the self referencing sector.

4 minutes ago, URROVA said:

for vanilla, you have to make self referencing sectors, these are sectors that all of their lines points to the inner sector, making it not rendering but the phisics of the floor keep being there. A more obvious example is Plutonia MAP02.

There is some tutorial for making 3D bridges: https://www.doomworld.com/tutorials/fx8.php

if is a fixed floor that you cant pass from below, skip the part with the dummy sector and the line actions, and only make the self referencing sector.

Well, I tried the self-referencing stuff, but whenever I set the inner sector's linedefs to reference the sector around it, it doesn't do anything, and instead merges the sectors.

2 minutes ago, AtticTelephone said:

Well, I tried the self-referencing stuff, but whenever I set the inner sector's linedefs to reference the sector around it, it doesn't do anything, and instead merges the sectors.

try making the opposite, make all the sides of the sector lines reference the inner sector

5 minutes ago, URROVA said:

try making the opposite, make all the sides of the sector lines reference the inner sector

Tried it, but broke it even more. I can float on the platform, but it's tied to the inner sector, which isn't invisible, and for some reason multiplied by four in in different directions.

3 minutes ago, AtticTelephone said:

Tried it, but broke it even more. I can float on the platform, but it's tied to the inner sector, which isn't invisible, and for some reason multiplied by four in in different directions.

Can i see an screenshot?

If you make a SRSector, and you go to sector mode and overlay the mouse over it, only the lines highlight, without the inner part.

doom46.png.742a1989067f42edc91f54ca60e47dec.png

This isn't me flying, this is the actual result of setting the outer sector's linedefs to reference the inner sector, and standing on the platform sometimes makes me fall.

HOW TO: Make Self Referencing Sector:

A SRSector is a sector that all their lines reference to the inner sector, it stops renderizing but the phisics keep being there:

How to make it:

1: Make a sector, and try to no connect it to different walls, instead keep a bit of space between the walls and the srsector like this:

649869488_selfreferencingsector(editarea)at2020_12.1816-46-43.853R3668.jpg.7d9aa4835179d05db5a9935e34df24f4.jpg

2: we go to check what index is that sector. You can see it in the bar below where the sector information shows. In this case is 3:

631993174_selfreferencingsectorat2020_12.1816-56-42.467R3668.jpg.19fded8dc71bc9ba8560573eb18f0ba1.jpg

3: Select all the linedefs of the sector and go to edit:

234745878_selfreferencingsector(EditLinedefs(4))at2020_12.1816-47-00.983R3668.jpg.980f5c8cfd5401bf3df4304fbb1e7d54.jpg

4: we want to make all the sides of the lines reference to the inner sector. In this case the inner sector has the index 3. So we have to set all front side and back side to 3. Click ok

If you go to sector mode and put the mouse over it, it should look like this:

1178234995_selfreferencingsector(editarea)at2020_12.1816-54-39.886R3668.jpg.098dc32d2d469ab02776f24e834783d5.jpg

And this is how look in game (crispy):

DOOM0000.png.903299b94c6f3ee9871e037dbe04ebc4.png

I hope you can understand now :)

doom47.png.76a09d857e0a317cf3e492fe7f14651a.png

No, it didn't help, I tried making only a single sector with self referencing linedefs, but it still multiplied by four in three directions, west, south and southwest. What do I do?

53 minutes ago, URROVA said:

I hope this help :/

It won't, that's a BRIDGE, not a platform, I'll give you the file, alright? But I'll have to delete the download to save data, since Dumbworld has a limit on that stuff.

(link no longer needed)

Edited by AtticTelephone

@AtticTelephone

Uh, i tried to make a more small sector around the SRSector, and seems to work.

Try to make this:

2023874695_VIRIDIS(editarea)at2020_12.1818-08-51.758R3668.jpg.d4731e66f5e9aeb5e7229f05d8096498.jpg

so, it seems like the collisions of an SRSector can glitch if it is in a very large sector.

4 minutes ago, URROVA said:

@AtticTelephone

Uh, i tried to make a more small sector around the SRSector, and seems to work.

Try to make this:

2023874695_VIRIDIS(editarea)at2020_12.1818-08-51.758R3668.jpg.d4731e66f5e9aeb5e7229f05d8096498.jpg

so, it seems like the collisions of an SRSector can glitch if it is in a very large sector.

Oh, that actually makes a lot of sense, good to know now.

(My first post to this here forum, HI!)

Hey so, I am developing a WAD for holiday themed gamejam and I was wondering if there's any good holiday themed resource packs I could use for giving the map pack that holiday feeling to go along with general mayhem and demon slaying? Since it is a jam project making textures from scratch sound like a lot of work for a short period of time I've got to work with this.

13 hours ago, Gez said:

Thanks! I'll check these out and try to check if any of these have any good resources to use with the maps!

EDIT: Okay, I hit up a new snag. I'm using Ultimate Doom Builder so now the question is, what is a good way to get the assets out of the WAD and in to my own mod? What's a good way to extract the textures and sprites from the WAD? Do I need to use SLADE to import these assets to my own my own wad or is there some other way to do it?

Edited by Blizzie the Mare : Additional questions

16 hours ago, Blizzie the Mare said:

Do I need to use SLADE to import these assets to my own my own wad

Yes, that's the quickest and easiest way to do it. Just open all the archives and copy-paste from one tab to another.

For textures, use the texture editor. Begin by creating a texture lump in your wad (using the texture editor will pop up with a query to make one if you don't have one already), then open texture editors for the other wads, select all, and copy then paste into yours. It'll take care of copying the patches to your archive too.

Is there something weird regarding using action 40 (Ceiling raises to highest ceiling) to move multiple adjacent sectors? I tried using it to raise pieces of a wooden crate off-screen to make it seem like monsters broke out while you weren't looking, but this area keeps making grinding noises? I used multiple adjacent sectors to make floor appear uneven.

Are all the stars just pin-holes in the blanket of night? And if so how much longer may this be before it's complete collapse?

UPDATE:

Did not notice this was editing questions till just now lol. My bad.

All the Freedoom sprite and music assets are under the BSD 3.0 license right? In laymans terms does that mean that if I wanted to use some Freedoom assets (with some modifications to some sprites/music and no changes to some other ones) in my own freely available pwad - do all I have to do is add something along the lines of "Sprite and music assets taken from The Freedoom Project" to the credits of my pwad?

vanilla gurus help me:

why come my door patch looks like this:
DOORMET.png.f3de40fefc5140e98fb2f34c5d79ccea.png and is used to make this texture Z_DOORM2.png.87e27dc23320b10feab01d2f1f2fa47b.png

but looks like this in game?:
Z_DOORM2ingame.png.ef999f526d9977fc51ac7e2f90ece30c.png
My impulse is that it's due to being an overlapping patch texture on a 2 side linedef that isn't 128px tall but idk