Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

Count the columns

anyway i figured it out, it was a 96 px patch and the doom renderer only tiles on like powers of 2, i guess? so it was tiling at 64px, cutting the 3rd column partway through, and adding a 5th skinny column. Anyway, i made the texture 128px wide and used offsets so, that is to say, i fixed it.

Is there a way in DOOM Builder or any map editor where there is a "secret" sector highlighter?

Basically is there a tool/plugin that highlights every secret sector in the 2D editor (I'm attempting a UV-Max run) and I thought about how convenient it would be for a plugin like this.

Should be a way to find sectors tagged secret or with a secret sector effect but I'm not sure how. Maybe just CTRL+F?

3 hours ago, Mr. LBN said:

Is there a way in DOOM Builder or any map editor where there is a "secret" sector highlighter?

Basically is there a tool/plugin that highlights every secret sector in the 2D editor (I'm attempting a UV-Max run) and I thought about how convenient it would be for a plugin like this.

CpURgOY.png

Don't take my comment too seriously since I'm theory crafting, but couldn't you use whackED4 and create a MBF DEHACKED file and tag the thing you want as friendly in the "Things" menu.  The only issue I see here is that every time you place that thing it will always be considered friendly.

A work around to that is to take a "thing" that you will not use for the project (i.e hanging leg) and give it the exact same states/flags as the thing you want to be friendly so that the original version will be an enemy. 

Apologies if I've once again missed something really obvious as my brain's turning to clay, but why won't my lift work properly? The linedef highlighted below functions as expected (player hits use to descend):

lift1.jpg.bd7f9b34d76004ef557ea7be343c1eae.jpg

This linedef (player hits use to call lift then go back up) does nothing:

lift2.jpg.56efc5a43cc93c8280983143562ec43a.jpg

Both linedefs configured as per the tutorial I'm working off:

lift3.jpg.02349443697bae60ac17cf115795ba50.jpg

Although it is worth pointing out that the tutorial specified actions 62 for linedef 1 and 88 for linedef 2 - action 88 for me just comes up as blank, presumably as I'm using a different (DB2) version of Builder than the tutorial. 

EDIT: So I noticed that I was talking about the same linedef....so I tried making it so player walks over linedef 1026 (opening to the lift alcove) to lower the lift...it works...but player hits use on linedef 1043 to lower still doesn't work. What am I doing wrong? I want to design this lift to go down to the "basement" as I've already built the inbetween sectors accordingly, to go from high to low, not lower lift then go from low to high...hope this makes sense. I'm frazzled! 

Which way is the line facing? Remember in most cases line activation works by the front side, not the back, this is indicated by the small notch on the line (indicating the front). 

Also:

42 minutes ago, VisionThing said:

Although it is worth pointing out that the tutorial specified actions 62 for linedef 1 and 88 for linedef 2 - action 88 for me just comes up as blank, presumably as I'm using a different (DB2) version of Builder than the tutorial.

Because you were reading a tutorial for Doom format maps. You are using Hexen format, which in ZDoom has entirely different line actions and numbers from the Doom format in Doom.

6 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Which way is the line facing? Remember in most cases line activation works by the front side, not the back, this is indicated by the small notch on the line (indicating the front). 

Also:

Because you were reading a tutorial for Doom format maps. You are using Hexen format, which in ZDoom has entirely different line actions and numbers from the Doom format in Doom.

Thanks for clarifying, the Hexen mechanics are somewhat more complex and this didn't occur to me at the beginning (I just followed someone's Youtube video where they began creating a map in Doom in Hexen format). 

I have the linedefs set up just like the below diagram:

Lift_HowToMake.png.493f3eb701b09758d3949525357d1ccc.png

I've been playing around with different linedef actions and the lift still only works in one direction. If I set the linedef facing the lower sector to raise to nearest floor, the lift pings back up the moment you walk out of it, and I can't get player presses use on that linedef to call it back down for some reason. Annoyingly if I try to convert the map to Doom format it turns into linedef spaghetti and destroys my level. Is there any way I can make this work? Walking into the lift to raise/lower without hitting use would be functional enough. 

14 minutes ago, VisionThing said:

I have the linedefs set up just like the below diagram:

Yes, but what does your map actually look like? Or better yet, could you just upload the map? You are very likely missing something you aren't seeing or thinking of, even if you think it looks the same as the diagram.

12 hours ago, Edward850 said:

You are very likely missing something you aren't seeing or thinking of, even if you think it looks the same as the diagram.

You were right, I forgot to tag a linedef correctly....works well enough now!

Does anyone know why you constantly have to switch the direction of linedef scrollers whenever you modify linedefs and sectors?

As in every time I test a map with voodoo dolls and conveyor belts I literally have to switch the direction of the linedef that defines the direction and speed of the conveyor belt  Is it because I have the sector tagged with the scroll floor, move things linedef or is this just something every mapper has to be conscientious of when making voodoo dolls with conveyor belts.

Capture.JPG.74a03b740103d14f95fa26f4c8ff2e6b.JPG

1 hour ago, Doomdude89 said:

Um what am i doing wrong? Its in E5M1  idclev51

Screenshot-Doom-20210110-180926.png

ra.rar

Yeah, that was a weird missing texture. Took me a couple of minutes to see what was wrong. Those lines are not flagged as doublesided.

image.png.7ce323e9815df33a5f083b9a439712eb.png

Check this flag

image.png.f3b43630402d883db6ea01901ba5db11.png

image.png.1b09d446cba52d7584fff241d0a28dfa.png

5 hours ago, Mr. LBN said:

Does anyone know why you constantly have to switch the direction of linedef scrollers whenever you modify linedefs and sectors?

You aren't supposed to flip single sided lines, that's undefined behaviour and some combination of the editor and node builder is likely forgetting the direction because there is no other side. 

Use the line on the opposite side of the sector to define your scroller instead. 

On vendredi 8 janvier 2021 at 8:48 PM, SilverMiner said:

Is there an ANIMDEFS to ANIMATED and SWITCHES converter?

AFAIK not. There could be no guarantee of accuracy to such a converter, since ANIMDEFS can do things that are impossible to express in ANIMATED or SWITCHES -- like back-and-forth animations (that go 1234321234321 etc. instead of 123412341234 etc.) or switches with intermediary steps instead of just going directly from on to off and from off to on.

Are there any texture packs with heavenly theme that would compliment vanilla textures well? Something as pretty as OTEX would probably stick out as a sore thumb.

6 hours ago, aletheos eberlain said:

Yeah, that was a weird missing texture. Took me a couple of minutes to see what was wrong. Those lines are not flagged as doublesided.

Check this flag

Thank you good sir

2 hours ago, ViolentBeetle said:

Are there any texture packs with heavenly theme that would compliment vanilla textures well? Something as pretty as OTEX would probably stick out as a sore thumb.

As I recall, Map 29 of Deus Vult II starts in Heaven, so you could see what sort of textures are used in that map, or that portion of that map.

19 hours ago, Mr. LBN said:

As in every time I test a map with voodoo dolls and conveyor belts I literally have to switch the direction of the linedef that defines the direction and speed of the conveyor belt  Is it because I have the sector tagged with the scroll floor, move things linedef or is this just something every mapper has to be conscientious of when making voodoo dolls with conveyor belts.

Capture.JPG.74a03b740103d14f95fa26f4c8ff2e6b.JPG

What Builder do you use lol? I've never met such a problem

13 hours ago, Edward850 said:

You aren't supposed to flip single sided lines, that's undefined behaviour and some combination of the editor and node builder is likely forgetting the direction because there is no other side. 

Use the line on the opposite side of the sector to define your scroller instead. 

It's either the Editor or the node builder I'm using because using the line on the opposite site of the sector does the exact same thing.

31 minutes ago, SilverMiner said:

What Builder do you use lol? I've never met such a problem

I'm using DOOM Builder X.

22 minutes ago, SilverMiner said:

I doubt a little that a nodebuilder can flip linedefs. Its primary purpose is to build nodes I think

It doesn't flip linedefs, but I have to do that as it reverses the direction of the floor scrolling when creating linedefs/sectors and such.  It doesn't seem to do this when simply placing items though.

I would say it automatically corrects it, because when you flip the (one sided) linedef, the inner sector become not closed, which is considered as error. Just use the line on the opposite side of the same sector and you should be fine.
I am not surprised DBX or UDB is doing it. I would say DB2 and DB1 probably were not that smart to correct your obvious errors like this one.

Flipping one-sided linedefs is a terrible idea. I can't hazard a guess as to why it seems to work for you as a workaround to unexplainable nodebuilder shenanigans that I can't hazard a guess either as to why they would break scrollers; but my suggestion would be to switch to a different nodebuilder instead of deliberately breaking your map.