Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

2 hours ago, RDETalus said:

Yeah that’s possible, you can add more weapon animation frames, but usually by harvesting frames from other things. For example, taking all of Commander Keen’s death frames and using them in your weapon animation.

They are using DEHEXTRA, so harvesting frames isn't the issue. I suspect what they actually want is a how to guide to DEHACKED/DEHEXTRA in general.

I'll assume these were questions.

On 6/21/2021 at 12:30 PM, Jacek Bourne said:

How do you make wall textures render the sky.

"The flat which is replaced by a sky projection is determined in a MAPINFO GameInfo definition with the skyflatname property"

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Sky

How do you create horizons pretty much.

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Line_Horizon

How do you make wall textures render the sky. How do you create horizons pretty much.

You can do it if you lower the ceiling of a sector down to the floor, and if said sector has the sky flat on that ceiling. Note that this turns the lines of the sector into a surface that shows the sky, rather than behaving like zdoom's line horizon special where the floor extends out into the distance.

Don't know if this is the right thread, but are there any playtesters who could take a look at a *fragment* of an unfinished map? I just kinda wanna see some feedback to motivate me to finish the map and point me in the right direction.

How do I get the Hexen leaf spawning things to do it at regular intervals? Right now they're just spawning constantly. Is that a script?

They spawn leaves every twenty tics. It's a regular interval.

If you wanted to change the interval, you'd need to redefine your own LeafSpawner class. But then we're talking DECORATE at a minimum, so no vanilla Hexen compatibility.

I always wondered what this option "Model: trigger / numeric" in generalized boom actions actually does? I used "trigger" all the time without bothering too much

47 minutes ago, El Inferno said:

I always wondered what this option "Model: trigger / numeric" in generalized boom actions actually does? I used "trigger" all the time without bothering too much

Under Section 2.2 Varieties of floors and Section 3.2 Varieties of ceilings:

The model sector for the change may be the sector on the first sidedef of the trigger (trigger model) or the sector with floor at destination height across the lowest numbered two-sided linedef surrounding the affected sector (numeric model). If no model sector exists, no change occurs. If a change occurs, floor texture is always affected, lighting is never affected, even that corresponding to the sector's type, nor is any other sector property other than the sector's type.

Numeric model algorithm:

1) Find all floors adjacent to the tagged floor at destination height
2) Find the lowest numbered linedef separating those floors from that tagged
3) The sector on the other side of that linedef is the model

22 hours ago, El Inferno said:

Also, numeric model linedef without texture change can be activated by monsters.

I have a question: In some wads, and Brutal Doom i noticed that monsters has some kind of glow in their eyes. You can see them in the dark e.t.c

So how can i make it glow too? It will be fine adittion to my project but i kinda cannot find tutorial about this topic.

24 minutes ago, Gez said:

This is generally done with brightmaps.

Thank you, but can i and how to include it in wad file, i am still not adept in PK3 format

Technically yes, however it's much easier to do with PK3 because you can use an auto folder so that brightmaps are automatically associated to sprites or textures according to their name, while with a wad you'll be forced to come up with different names for the brightmaps and type out a long list of "sprite STUFA1 uses brightmap BTUFA1, sprite STUFA2 uses brightmap BTFUA2, etc."

1 minute ago, Gez said:

Technically yes, however it's much easier to do with PK3 because you can use an auto folder so that brightmaps are automatically associated to sprites or textures according to their name, while with a wad you'll be forced to come up with different names for the brightmaps and type out a long list of "sprite STUFA1 uses brightmap BTUFA1, sprite STUFA2 uses brightmap BTFUA2, etc."

I hear you, well its time to learn pk3

In some Boom maps (such as Ancient Aliens), I noticed that the tripwire linedefs in voodoo doll hallways are slanted instead of orthogonal; what is the reason for this? Does it reduce the chance of line skipping or something?

Alright, can somebody help me understand UDMF flat rotation?

The situation is this: I've got a specific decorative structure in a map. Its middle portion uses a 64x64 flat. I rotate the floor 45 degrees, and determine it needs an X / Y offset of 7.8 / -0.2 to be centered. Alright, fine.

Next, I duplicate this exact structure further up the map, at the exact same position relative to the 64x64 grid, and the floor offset doesn't align any more. I redo the math, and determine it now needs an X / Y offset of 6.6 / -1.4 to be centered. Say what?

OK, maybe I could understand if it was some kind of irregular rotation angle like 14.7 degrees, but shouldn't this floor should be consistently repeating evenly from the same center point of these same structures at the same grid alignment? Why does a 64x64 flat with a 45 degree rotation need different offset values when it's placed at the same position relative to a 64x64 grid?

On 6/30/2021 at 5:58 PM, RDETalus said:

In some Boom maps (such as Ancient Aliens), I noticed that the tripwire linedefs in voodoo doll hallways are slanted instead of orthogonal; what is the reason for this? Does it reduce the chance of line skipping or something?

Theoretically it should give them more than one chance to intersect, but I'm not sure it's important. Just make sure your scroller is slow enough to not cause troubles.

4 hours ago, Lüt said:

Alright, can somebody help me understand UDMF flat rotation?

The situation is this: I've got a specific decorative structure in a map. Its middle portion uses a 64x64 flat. I rotate the floor 45 degrees, and determine it needs an X / Y offset of 7.8 / -0.2 to be centered. Alright, fine.

Next, I duplicate this exact structure further up the map, at the exact same position relative to the 64x64 grid, and the floor offset doesn't align any more. I redo the math, and determine it now needs an X / Y offset of 6.6 / -1.4 to be centered. Say what?

OK, maybe I could understand if it was some kind of irregular rotation angle like 14.7 degrees, but shouldn't this floor should be consistently repeating evenly from the same center point of these same structures at the same grid alignment? Why does a 64x64 flat with a 45 degree rotation need different offset values when it's placed at the same position relative to a 64x64 grid?

I believe the rotation is relative to the grid center, not to the local 64x64 block. Because with the ability to mix texture and flats, and to support larger flat sizes, it's the only way to get proper tiling for arbitrary flat dimensions.

What are some wads that show good examples of architectural damage / wear-and-tear, preferably in a non-techbase setting? Things like cracks in walls, or missing bricks, missing chunks in masonry, that kind of stuff

11 hours ago, Gez said:

I believe the rotation is relative to the grid center, not to the local 64x64 block. Because with the ability to mix texture and flats, and to support larger flat sizes, it's the only way to get proper tiling for arbitrary flat dimensions.

Ah, that explains it.

Yeah, I've only ever used flat rotation for small details, so I never noticed how it was working on the overall map. But now that I just made a giant map-sized square in DB with floor texture view, and rotated it in 1-degree increments with the surface properties arrow buttons, I see how it works.

The more I think about it, the more it seems like the most sensible implementation. It's a little unfortunate for my purposes, but DB's pin offsets feature can be manipulated easily enough I suppose.

Anyway, that's one lingering nuisance sorted. Thanks for the reply.

5 hours ago, RDETalus said:

What are some wads that show good examples of architectural damage / wear-and-tear, preferably in a non-techbase setting? Things like cracks in walls, or missing bricks, missing chunks in masonry, that kind of stuff

That's a question best asked in the Wads & MODs forum. This particular thread is for advice with editing issues.

Can I make a death sound of the monster audible at a long distance?

It's MAP30, the monster is Wolfenstein SS, I want to be Boom compatible.

Would simply making it very loud work? Can I set some kind of flag in Dehacked?

That's only the cybie and spidey. Cybey and spidie? Whatever.

With the newfangled MBF-21, there are now flags that can be given in DEHACKED for that. But in plain old last century Boom technology, your only recourse is to make the cydey or the spibie into the wolfenstein dude, because it's hardcoded to actor types in vanilla and Boom.

Just now, Gez said:

That's only the cybie and spidey. Cybey and spidie? Whatever.

With the newfangled MBF-21, there are now flags that can be given in DEHACKED for that. But in plain old last century Boom technology, your only recourse is to make the cydey or the spibie into the wolfenstein dude, because it's hardcoded to actor types in vanilla and Boom.

Unfortunately, I also need them be vulnerable to explosions. I guess I can live without them making sound. They haven't done it before.

Is it possible to make conditional teleport linedefs in BOOM? For example, you can cross this linedef as many times as you want but it won’t teleport you until you hit a switch.

1 hour ago, RDETalus said:

Is it possible to make conditional teleport linedefs in BOOM? For example, you can cross this linedef as many times as you want but it won’t teleport you until you hit a switch.

From memory that's possible even with the original .exe. Just make the destination sector have its floor and ceiling at the same height, and make the switch raise the ceiling or lower the floor.

I'm typing from a tablet so haven't tested it, but I'm 95% sure this will work :)

I'm running into a weird issue with floor-lower-to-highest-floor type actions. It always works fine on GZDoom but sometimes breaks inexplicably on other ports (PrBoom+, Crispy, etc.), where I can tell the action is activated (I can hear the audible click that plays when a floor stops moving) but the floor doesn't move at all. Maybe the sector is registering itself as the highest floor? That's just a guess, though; I don't really know what's happening. Anyone else know of this issue and how to avoid it?

3 minutes ago, Fiendish said:

I'm running into a weird issue with floor-lower-to-highest-floor type actions. It always works fine on GZDoom but sometimes breaks inexplicably on other ports (PrBoom+, Crispy, etc.), where I can tell the action is activated (I can hear the audible click that plays when a floor stops moving) but the floor doesn't move at all. Maybe the sector is registering itself as the highest floor? That's just a guess, though; I don't really know what's happening. Anyone else know of this issue and how to avoid it?

There are a few that I know. It's possible for sector to register itself as highest, if it has internal lines although I don't believe it should be a problem in Boom.

I also believe there's certain limits to absolute height floor can move to, particularly among the negative numbers, but last time I was looking for clarification I wasn't able to find any.

13 minutes ago, ViolentBeetle said:

There are a few that I know. It's possible for sector to register itself as highest, if it has internal lines although I don't believe it should be a problem in Boom.

I also believe there's certain limits to absolute height floor can move to, particularly among the negative numbers, but last time I was looking for clarification I wasn't able to find any.

Thanks for the quick response! Yes, it appears that it is internal lines that are causing the issue, as removing them fixes the problem. Unfortunately, that ruins the trap setup I was going for, with a walkover linedef trigger on the floor that it lowers. Drat! 

Edit: actually, I found a workaround -- in case anyone else runs into this issue. I simply made a little sector within the sector that lowers, made that little interior sector have the floor height that I wanted the lowering sector to lower to, left the sides of that interior sector untextured (making it invisible), and then used one of the little sector's borders for the walkover floor-lower-to-8-above-highest action. (This is a really useful action for Doom 2 format maps btw, since it moves the floor at a higher speed than floor-lower-to-lowest-floor actions.)  

Edited by Fiendish

Probably a really naive question. Is there a way to make a Quake 3 style 'jumppad', (as in the type that shoots you up vertically) w/ Boom format?

Or is that just impossible? I know how to do turbo/instant lifts already, that's not what I'm looking for - I'm looking to see if there's any way at all to propel the player vertically without the use of an elevator / rising floor. If not possible in Boom, (the current format of my current working megaWAD) what format is it possible in? Or is it possible at all?

I could have sworn I've played a deathmatch map that has jumppads, or something really similar in it.

Thanks! :)

16 minutes ago, Arrowhead said:

Probably a really naive question. Is there a way to make a Quake 3 style 'jumppad', (as in the type that shoots you up vertically) w/ Boom format?

That is not something Boom can inherently do, no.