Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

7 minutes ago, VisionThing said:

How do I stop this polyobject moving so far out (distance movement is set to 120) and can I make it not infinitely tall? Its just supposed to be door sized.

Are you targeting vanilla Hexen or GZDoom?

For the tiling issue, you can turn it into a pobj built out of two-sided lines. In vanilla Hexen, that'll require using Polyobj_ExplicitLine on each line because it doesn't handle such pobjs otherwise. You'll also have to check the "impassable" flag to make them blocking. In GZDoom, no need to worry about that, and you can even check the "3D midtexture" (aka "walkable mid textures" IIRC) flag so that they will only collide on the height of their texture.

For the distance issue, I don't know. Just double-check that you're not using Polyobj_MoveTimes8 instead of Polyobj_Move or something dumb like that.

17 minutes ago, VisionThing said:

can I make it not infinitely tall?

Using 2 sided lines with midtextures applied instead of 1 sided with the "Block Everything" flag will solve this part. :)

@Dragonfly, @Gez - Thanks for the tip, the polyobjects are the right height now!

I can still see them moving again after they open (supposed to stick out by 8 or so from the wall) and it looks like the triggering linedef is causing that, even though it isn't flagged as repeatable.

7 minutes ago, VisionThing said:

I can still see them moving again after they open (supposed to stick out by 8 or so from the wall) and it looks like the triggering linedef is causing that, even though it isn't flagged as repeatable.

Check that there's only on linedef that triggers them, maybe?

In terms of mechanics - what's the difference between "SpidRefire" and "CPosRefire"?

Corpse explosions as per diablo 2 (Cast at deceased body, and it explodes to damage those around)
Would I need to set the initial code into every monster code and then have that be triggered by the weapon/spell?

I can kinda sorta see how it should work, im just making sure im on the right path.

Both GzDoom and DSDA, but must character/bigfont replacements be the exact same dimensions as the lumps they're replacing? I put a full set in but only some appear to actually load, excluding many larger text graphics for the menu (difficulty level graphics are there, but not for instance load and save game).

Also, I can't find any mention of the Map30 Special on the UMAPINFO Wiki page, is it just absent there or am I actually unable to set/clear the telefrag special for any level at all with just UMAPINFO?

Edited by ChopBlock223

On 6/4/2022 at 12:06 AM, Desfar said:

Corpse explosions as per diablo 2 (Cast at deceased body, and it explodes to damage those around)
Would I need to set the initial code into every monster code and then have that be triggered by the weapon/spell?

I can kinda sorta see how it should work, im just making sure im on the right path.

You can just target monsters in the death state.

In case you want decoration corpses to be able to be targeted as well, you need to hardcode those.

If I had to do it, I would do it like this:

Spoiler

(This example is with a hitscan weapon)

Fire weapon

1.Does it hit an entity?

No-> Got to step 6

Yes-> Go to step 2

2.What's the ID?

ID = 18-22 (ID numbers of decorate corpses (-Lost Soul)) -> Go to step 4

ID /= 18-22 -> go to step 3

3.What's the state?

State = Death State -> Go to step 4

State /= Death State -> Go to step 6

4. Is enough space for Rocket/Barrel?

Yes -> Go to step 5

No -> Go to step 6

5. Play firing animation, firing sound, subtract ammuntion, remove Corpse, spawn on the same location a Rocket/Barrel in the exploding state

(like the Icon of Sin uses it when it dies)

6.Play "Fail" sound

(and maybe set a small timer until you can try firing the weapon again)

I didn't do any code in C+++ or decorate, so maybe some of the algorythms would have to work in a different way.

Edited by ChestedArmor

14 minutes ago, ChestedArmor said:

You can just target monsters in the death state.

In case you want decoration corpses to be able to be targeted as well, you need to hardcode those.

If I had to do it, I would do it like this:

Reveal hidden contents

(This example is with a hitscan weapon)

Fire weapon

1.Does it hit an entity?

No-> Got to step 6

Yes-> Go to step 2

2.What's the ID?

ID = 18-22 (ID numbers of decorate corpses (-Lost Soul)) -> Go to step 4

ID /= 18-22 -> go to step 3

3.What's the state?

State = Death State -> Go to step 4

State /= Death State -> Go to step 6

4. Is enough space for Rocket/Barrel?

Yes -> Go to step 5

No -> Go to step 6

5. Play firing animation, firing sound, subtract ammuntion, remove Corpse, spawn on the same location a Rocket/Barrel in the exploding state (like the Icon of Sin uses it when it dies)

6.Play "Fail" sound (and maybe set a small timer until you can try firing the weapon again)

I didn't do any code in C+++ or decorate, so maybe some of the algorythms would have to work in a different way.

Thanks so much!
Im self taught since i started trying to make doom mods about 3 months ago, so my coding is barely above Frankenstein at this point. 

1 minute ago, Desfar said:

Thanks so much!
Im self taught since i started trying to make doom mods about 3 months ago, so my coding is barely above Frankenstein at this point. 

Yeah, In that case, I'd recommend taking a look at the code of romeros head (cause Im pretty sure you can find the code for spawning rockets in the exploding state there (you just have to replace the "random placement" spawn into the coordinates of the hit corpse

how do you make deep water that has different heights within it in vanilla doom?

there's this part in kamasutra's map05 where u go underwater. i checked on udb but i still dont understand.i think its done with self-referencing sectors?!?!?

here's a video of what i mean:

Spoiler

its at 1:27 or so

to clarify i know how to make deep water u go in and out of but i don't understand how you make deep water that has different "real heights" but the same "fake height"

49 minutes ago, Luleta said:

to clarify i know how to make deep water u go in and out of but i don't understand how you make deep water that has different "real heights" but the same "fake height"

Either self-referncing sector or missing textures on drops causing outside sectors to bleed over. Probably later, since self-referencing sectors shouldn't be able to touch like that, as far as I'm aware.

1 hour ago, ViolentBeetle said:

Either self-referncing sector or missing textures on drops causing outside sectors to bleed over. Probably later, since self-referencing sectors shouldn't be able to touch like that, as far as I'm aware.

ohh!! its a self-referencing sector SURROUNDED by a sector that is waaay under another  between a sector that has missing textures on the walls causing the effect!! 

thank you very much!!

Is it possible in UDMF to make a 3D floor a working conveyor belt that moves things? Since the floor of the 3D sector corresponds to the ceiling of the reference sector, I can only seem to make the texture scroll without it being able to move objects as well.

I have a map where the name of the wad in the bottom left of the automap (in Crispy Doom) has become scrambled, and just says gibberish like xhdieoogn.wad

This is after using a WhackED patch to change the automap names, but the MAP02 name still shows the correct name.wad in the automap?

Nearest comparison I can make is that Doombuilder is using a backup version for MAP01 for some reason but its definitely saved and up to date?

23 hours ago, VisionThing said:

I have a map where the name of the wad in the bottom left of the automap (in Crispy Doom) has become scrambled, and just says gibberish like xhdieoogn.wad

This is after using a WhackED patch to change the automap names, but the MAP02 name still shows the correct name.wad in the automap?

Nearest comparison I can make is that Doombuilder is using a backup version for MAP01 for some reason but its definitely saved and up to date?

As far as I understand, during testing from Doom Builder it creates a temporary file. Possibly only when you have unsaved changes? Possibly for current map only?

Should not be a thing if you load it into game normally.

I've got this bug I can't understand. I figured out the errors for all the other lumps, but the % character remains.

GzDoom and DSDA will actually load the % character for the level intermission, with the kill, secret and item tallies, but not for the status bar. Is there something I'm missing here, is there a second % character I need to replace?

43 minutes ago, ChopBlock223 said:

I've got this bug I can't understand. I figured out the errors for all the other lumps, but the % character remains.

GzDoom and DSDA will actually load the % character for the level intermission, with the kill, secret and item tallies, but not for the status bar. Is there something I'm missing here, is there a second % character I need to replace?

Yup, there is. The Intermission uses WIPCNT, while the status bar uses STTPRCNT. They are actually scaled differently.

3 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Yup, there is. The Intermission uses WIPCNT, while the status bar uses STTPRCNT. They are actually scaled differently.

I'll be damned. Thank you for noticing!

On samedi 4 juin 2022 at 12:06 AM, Desfar said:

If you're targeting ZDoom, you can use A_RadiusGive with the RGF_CORPSES flag to give the corpse a token item. Then the death state can end on something that repeatedly calls an A_JumpIfInventory check to go into a CorpseExplosion custom state if the token is present. That state should have the CanRaise keyword since it would replace a state with infinite duration with a state with limited duration that loops back to itself (with wait).

On vendredi 10 juin 2022 at 5:59 AM, Weird Sandwich said:

Is it possible in UDMF to make a 3D floor a working conveyor belt that moves things? Since the floor of the 3D sector corresponds to the ceiling of the reference sector, I can only seem to make the texture scroll without it being able to move objects as well.

Yes, it is possible. One way is to use a Vavoom-style 3D floor (negative control sector height, with the floor being the top surface and the ceiling being the bottom surface). That's what I used in a secret area of ZDCMP2.

How do I align the M_DOOM correctly if it's wider than default. I always fail to wrap my head around which offset is negative and which is positive, and somehow trial and error fails me here.

On 6/22/2022 at 5:59 PM, Gez said:

Yes, it is possible. One way is to use a Vavoom-style 3D floor (negative control sector height, with the floor being the top surface and the ceiling being the bottom surface). That's what I used in a secret area of ZDCMP2.

Thank you! Would never have thought to use negative sector heights, but it makes sense.

Is there any way to disable the zombie player voodoo doll effect for a Boom compatible map? I'm trying to make an air-lock effect where you take damage whenever the air lock is open, but that would mean damaging voodoo dolls which will always give you the zombie player effect. Is there any way to give voodoo dolls a true shared health pool? Maybe something you could do with dehacked?

35 minutes ago, Grimosaur said:

I'm trying to make an air-lock effect where you take damage whenever the air lock is open

You can raise floor+change effect without actually raising it:

airlock.zip

Add an "undo" setup and doll looping to make this repeatable/timed/however you need it.

1 hour ago, Doomy__Doom said:

You can raise floor+change effect without actually raising it:

airlock.zip

Add an "undo" setup and doll looping to make this repeatable/timed/however you need it.

Ah, thanks! I thought you would have needed to visibly raise the floor to change the effect and I assumed it would be too much effort to make sure every sector is affected. Though I only just found out you can't actually damage voodoo dolls with damaging floors anyway so I guess this would be the easiest way.

Getting this error trying to test my WAD in PRBoom+ (similar message occurs in Doom Retro):

prboomerror.jpg

Not sure what it means but the textures are in the WAD:

prboomerror1.jpg

I've been targeting Crispy Doom and there's been no issues with that port.

5 minutes ago, VisionThing said:

Getting this error trying to test my WAD in PRBoom+ (similar message occurs in Doom Retro):

prboomerror.jpg

Not sure what it means but the textures are in the WAD:

prboomerror1.jpg

I've been targeting Crispy Doom and there's been no issues with that port.

What you show here are so-called patches, not textures yet, they are turned into textures in TEXTURE1 or TEXTURE2 lumps.

23 minutes ago, ViolentBeetle said:

What you show here are so-called patches, not textures yet, they are turned into textures in TEXTURE1 or TEXTURE2 lumps.

Thanks, adding those to the TEXTURE lump means I can now launch the WAD in PRBoom+, but...

Almost every wall texture is now animated or looks like it is cycling through different textures? Hard to describe but its like all the walls are animated now and constantly shifting textures...have I broken something? I've added all my custom textures and they're in PNAMES and TEXTURE1...