Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

45 minutes ago, Lanie said:

I know that there is a command for changing textures (e. g. setlinetexture(1, SIDE_FRONT, TEXTURE_MIDDLE, "SPAWN09"), but i am not sure how to manage the rest. What I probably need is to track IF the linedef is shoot in order to then execute the change-texture script? Is there anybody who could help me out with that?

You can have the script be activated by the line itself, by making it activated by impact.

18 hours ago, Gez said:

You can have the script be activated by the line itself, by making it activated by impact.

Dear Gez,

thank you very much. This little hint was all I needed.

Greetings,

Lanie.

Dear Doomers,

I got another question. Is there an elegant way to make a monster attack a linedef and/or trigger impact after the player crossed/triggerd another lindef?

Sincerely,

Lanie

Edited by Lanie

I'm trying to convert my GZDoom format map into Boom format to expand the potential audience. The problem I'm running into is that I wanted to convert a 128*128 door texture into four 64*64 flats. I imported the PNG files, but when I converted them into Doom (Flat), the textures screwed up and turned into an ugly mess. The shape of the texture itself is right, but the colors are all over the place.

I've searched and found problems with "Unknown" format, but people say that was fixed by saving and then reloading Slade, or that it shows up fine in the map, and those aren't working for me. Also suggested was trying to run the map and "it'll show up fine" but that just produces a Signal 11 error in DSDA-doom.

(Also, thank goodness for @Kappes Buur 's tutorial on TEXTURE1/2 to help me get the wall textures to properly show up. I wasn't able to find out the proper format through searches.)

Unrelated question, but is there a free online text generator which makes text in the style of the DOOM logo? I've been told making a fancy header for map releases can help.

58 minutes ago, Stabbey said:

imported the PNG files, but when I converted them into Doom (Flat), the textures screwed up and turned into an ugly mess. The shape of the texture itself is right, but the colors are all over the place.

Doom has a limited palette and when you convert something from truecolor, SLADE will approximate to the best of its ability. Seems like you use something that is hard to work with.

It's this texture, but in four pieces. This seems to all fit standard doom palette ranges. It looks fine as a wall texture.

EDIT: I wanted to prove that it wasn't the texture, so I made a tiny one two sector map, imported the texture from the PNG, added it to the Texturex thing, and the stupid map crashes with "I_SignalHandler: Exiting on signal: signal 11".

Looking that up only produces a suggestion to change the textures to Doom format, and doing that makes the wall texture glitchy.

*insert long string of colorful cursing of your choice here*

BIGDOORE.png

Edited by Stabbey

Even copying it right from the source texture pack, where it's already in doom format doesn't work.

I'm following the steps! How does this not work??? What am I doing wrong?????

aaaaa.zip

Edited by Stabbey

1 hour ago, Stabbey said:

Even copying it right from the source texture pack, where it's already in doom format doesn't work.

I'm following the steps! How does this not work??? What am I doing wrong?????

aaaaa.zip

Any chance you have a non-doom palette in your loading files? Like, perhaps, you are mapping for heretic or hexen?

I'm not using any alternate palettes as far as I know.

I made that tiny test map by starting a new Boom format map in UDB, using Doom2.WAD as the base resource, in the same directory as DSDA-doom (which does start up correctly). In Slade I opened up a texture editor which prompted me to create a new TEXTURE1 thing, which I did. I opened up the MMM-tex.wad texture pack and copied the texture - already in Doom format - over, then added it to TEXTURE1. I had to rename TEXTURE1 to TEXTURE2 to get rid of an "R_SKY3 not found" error. I'm not sure what caused that problem, but my best guess was that the TEXTURE 1 was overwriting the Doom 2's version like the tutorial I saw mentioned might happen. I still get the "signal 11" error.

10 hours ago, Stabbey said:

I'm trying to convert my GZDoom format map into Boom format to expand the potential audience. The problem I'm running into is that I wanted to convert a 128*128 door texture into four 64*64 flats. I imported the PNG files, but when I converted them into Doom (Flat), the textures screwed up and turned into an ugly mess. The shape of the texture itself is right, but the colors are all over the place.

Essentially, my workflow was the same as yours.

Break the texture into 4 parts, then in Slade3:

1. import the textures into the map between F_ markers

2. convert the pngs into DOOM (Flat)s.

Stabbey.7z

Edited by Kappes Buur : corrected the sequence of events

Thanks, those flats work. Maybe I did something in the wrong order, otherwise I don't know. With that in mind, you said "import them into the map between F_ markers, and THEN load the map into Slade 3? I assume you meant load the map into Slade 3 and then import the flats, as I don't know of another way to import flats into a map other than Slade 3.

I'm still getting signal 11 crashes in the full map, even after using the map analysis tool to find all the places where I accidentally used flats on walls or walls on flats, and looking at the map in Slade, all the textures are in the right format, no stray (PNG)'s to be seen. Signal 11 means that something is looking in the wrong place in memory.

Barring other obvious errors, that suggests that the structure of my WAD is incorrect, and I need to reorder things. So I presume I did something wrong with this structure that Boom/DsDA doesn't like.

MAP01

(the normal stuff)

BLOCKMAP

D_RUNNIN

DSBDCLS

(MORE CUSTOM SOUNDS)

ANIMATED

S_START

(CUSTOM SPRITES)

S_END

P_START

(CUSTOM TEXTURES)

P_END

F_START

(CUSTOM FLATS)

F_END

PNAMES

TEXTURE2

UMAPINFO

I've looked at other Boom maps, as well as how the original WADs are structured, and nothing I've tried to fix the map has helped. It has to be something wrong with the structure of my map, but I don't know what.

And here's the map file itself, if that helps.

WFaB-Boom04.zip

Edited by Stabbey : still stuck

On 11/16/2022 at 11:30 PM, Stabbey said:

I've looked at other Boom maps, as well as how the original WADs are structured, and nothing I've tried to fix the map has helped. It has to be something wrong with the structure of my map, but I don't know what.

Seems like you made a PNAMES from scratch. That's a mistake. It contains list of all "patches" - lumps that goes between P_START and P_END and turn them into numbers that can be used by TEXTURE1 and TEXTURE2. Now TEXTURE1 from Doom2.wad is looking for numbers that are too high.

You should import PNAME from an iwad, then re-add what you added.

1 hour ago, ViolentBeetle said:

Seems like you made a PNAMES from scratch. That's a mistake. It contains list of all "patches" - lumps that goes between P_START and P_END and turn them into numbers that can be used by TEXTURE1 and TEXTURE2. Now TEXTURE1 from Doom2.wad is looking for numbers that are too high.

You should import PNAME from an iwad, then re-add what you added.

Thank you for the answer. I guess because I was only mapping in GZ Doom format, I never really used PNAMES before. I'm not sure I understand the workflow I need to follow, though.

So do I need to create a new empty WAD, copy all from the old WAD in UDB, then switch to Slade, import a PNAME from, an IWAD, and then copy over the sprites, textures, and flats?

Edited by Stabbey

11 minutes ago, Stabbey said:

Thank you for the answer. I guess because I was only mapping in GZ Doom format, I never really used PNAMES before. I'm not sure I understand the workflow I need to follow, though.

So do I need to create a new empty WAD, copy all from the old WAD in UDB, then switch to Slade, import a PNAME from, an IWAD, and then copy over the sprites, textures, and flats?

I assume at some point when you chose to add patches to TEXTUREx, SLADE asked you if you want to import PNAMES from base wad. You should have said yes.

You might need to select base wad in settings for this. Or just delete your old PNAMES, copy PNAMES from base wad, delete content from TEXTURE2 and then add your wall patches to TEXTUREx - then it'll be added to PNAMES and TEXTURE2 automatically.

Also sprites and flats have nothing to do with PNAMES and TEXTURES and should not be added to them - but I don't think you did.

Thanks a lot, the map starts now in DSDA-Doom. I still need to playtest to make absolutely, positively sure that all the line actions work properly, but this was a big step forward to making the map more flexible.

Is there any particular reason some textures won't animate, even if the ANIMDEFS lump has the exact same lines of code for each set of textures?

Dear Doomers,

i implemented a prop by using the DECORATE script. Within the game the prop is glitching through the floor. Code:

actor Trash 25511
    {
    Radius 32
    Height 64
    +SOLID
    States
    {
    Spawn:
    TRAS A -1
    Stop
    }
}

Can you help me out?

Greetings, Lanie.

Screenshot-Doom-20221201-134208.png

In the editor:

Zwischenablage01.jpg

Edited by Lanie

27 minutes ago, Lanie said:

i implemented a prop by using the DECORATE script. Within the game the prop is glitching through the floor. Code:

Could it be the offset on the sprite itself?

2 minutes ago, ViolentBeetle said:

Could it be the offset on the sprite itself?

Do you mean these coordinates or some options in Slade/DECORATE?

Zwischenablage01.jpg

It's the sprite itself, you need to adjust it's offsets when importing it in SLADE3, as it's natural offset 0, 0 is actually underneath an objects z height.

When viewing a sprite in slade you'll see in the bottom left of the preview pane the coordinates it has set for it's offsets.

image.png.a70a77bf0873f300900e70089852ebf2.png

Note how there's an axis in the background, this points to the offsets location - you want to manipulate the coordinates so that your new decoration will look like it's standing in the center of the object's hitbox, and to be resting on the floor, as shown in the above example.

2 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

When viewing a sprite in slade you'll see in the bottom left of the preview pane the coordinates it has set for it's offsets.

image.png.a70a77bf0873f300900e70089852ebf2.png

Note how there's an axis in the background, this points to the offsets location - you want to manipulate the coordinates so that your new decoration will look like it's standing in the center of the object's hitbox, and to be resting on the floor, as shown in the above example.

Thank you DragonFly, as well as ViolentBeetle and Edward!

Speaking of sprites, if you want to make new (decoration-type) sprites for Boom-compatible maps, do they need to replace existing sprites?

6 hours ago, Stabbey said:

Speaking of sprites, if you want to make new (decoration-type) sprites for Boom-compatible maps, do they need to replace existing sprites?

Yes. Just make doom format pic with exactly same name of the sprite you want to replace between S_START & S_END markers of you wad. For example, if you want to replace a tree, name it as TRE1A0. They may have their offsets wrong. They can be edited as shown above.

Not sure if this is the best place to ask since it's more about the meta of making stuff, and if not please direct me to where I might ask it instead.

I've been wondering about this for some time now after seeing more and more indie games pop up out of or around the Doom community. Is GZDoom the only source port/engine whose licensing would allow prospective indie devs to publish a commercial game built in it? Of course provided that it's not packaged with any of the assets made by id or any other assets they dont have the rights to use etc. And if not, which other source ports would also allow this?

8 minutes ago, ipecacodemon said:

Not sure if this is the best place to ask since it's more about the meta of making stuff, and if not please direct me to where I might ask it instead.

I've been wondering about this for some time now after seeing more and more indie games pop up out of or around the Doom community. Is GZDoom the only source port/engine whose licensing would allow prospective indie devs to publish a commercial game built in it? Of course provided that it's not packaged with any of the assets made by id or any other assets they dont have the rights to use etc. And if not, which other source ports would also allow this?

Discussed here, and applies to all sourceports running on GPLv2/3 as opposed to the original Doom Source License. Most use GPLv3, I think the only maintained port now using DSL is Zdaemon, and good luck getting that source. :V

7 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Discussed here, and applies to all sourceports running on GPLv2/3 as opposed to the original Doom Source License. Most use GPLv3, I think the only maintained port now using DSL is Zdaemon, and good luck getting that source. :V

Wow thank you for the quick reply! Forgive me as I'm a little out of my depth here, but what I got out of that is that it's fine as long as you don't integrate with Steamworks or any other APIs with conflicting licenses? I see Eternity Engine is GPLv3 and DSDA-Doom is GPLv2, so in theory those could work too?