Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

9 minutes ago, MasterRhan said:

I have a problem with a mod I'm making, I want to make the Chaingunner use the pistol sound when firiing, so I make a new actor replacing him and uses attacksound "DSPISTOL" But now when he fires it's silent?

My code:

Actor Commando : ChaingunGuy replaces ChaingunGuy
{
	AttackSound "DSPISTOL"
}

ZDoom uses a system derived from Hexen where the sound lumps are abstracted. There's the "logical" name and the "physical" name.

Basically, what you want to do here is simpler to accomplish using just the SNDINFO lump instead of DECORATE.

SNDINFO code:

chainguy/attack	DSPISTOL

And there you go.

Another question, is there a way to make a burst rifle replacement for the pistol? I knew that there was a wad on moddb that had one but I can't find it anymore.

I know how to make a Doomplayer replacement and got the sprites for it, but don't know how to code it to burst-fire.It should be indentical to the pistol but fires in bursts.

I have small problem - I wanted to animate same two switches, one from off to on and second on to off phases in boom switches lump. After I put them in new rows and saving edit, SWITCHES lump turns into unknown lump in slade. I don't know if this is intended thing or I just made mistake somewhere while doing this. Maybe someone could explain how this thing correctly should work?

@Gez & @Graf Zahl I helped Bauul achieve the effect they desired via private conversation, see the below quote for the result!

On 31/10/2017 at 2:16 AM, Bauul said:

Experimenting with using custom sky textures, line portals and translucent mid-textures to achieve a simplistic (but therefore computationally efficient) reflection effect.

Q3oMTXB.png

Is there a simple way to reset/drop all weapons after completing a level?

I'm going to play three WADs today in coop. Each WAD has a single map. Instead of relaunching DooM after each WAD I was planning to place all the levels on a single WAD file and map the levels to map01, map02 and map03. But that would mean that all the weapons remain from level to level. So I would need a way to reset them. I'm going to use Zandronum.

You'll have to make it a library script. And make it load with LOADACS. 

Thanks, sounds simple but I have no idea how to do all that :/

Last time I've done Doom editing was in the nineties.

Could one theoretically add things to a map without ever touching a map editor? For example, adding things to say Map02 that were not there before? I swear I just recently saw something like this in a wad and I already forgot what wad it was and it got me really curious.

This is just a question for fun by the way, I know how to use a DoomBuilder. :p

You can, sorta, but you have to use ungodly hacks. Brutal Doom does that AFAIK by testing the presence of some actors at some given places, and if it finds them it assumes that it's the unmodified map it thinks it is, and spawns additional decoration at various places.

Why does this shoot 3 rockets? I just want the one.

ACTOR StaffWeapon : weapon replaces RocketLauncher
{
  Weapon.SelectionOrder 50
  Weapon.AmmoUse 1
  Weapon.AmmoGive 20
  Weapon.AmmoType "RocketAmmo"
  +WEAPON.NOAUTOFIRE
  Inventory.PickupMessage "%Got A Staff Weapon%"

States
  {
      Spawn:
		PNIP A -1
		Stop
	  Ready:
		STAF H 1 A_WeaponReady
		Loop
	  Deselect:
		STAF H 1 A_Lower
		Loop
	  Select:
		STAF H 1 A_Raise
		Loop
	  Fire:
		STAF ABCD 1 A_GunFlash
		STAF EFG 1 A_FireMissile
		STAF HHHH 6
		Goto Ready

}
}

The code:

STAF EFG 1 A_FireMissile

Is equivalent to:

STAF E 1 A_FireMissile
STAF F 1 A_FireMissile
STAF G 1 A_FireMissile

You want this instead:

STAF E 1 A_FireMissile
STAF FG 1

5 minutes ago, scifista42 said:

This code:

I could have made money on a bit just now. I bet myself you would be the one to chime in. Thanks for your answer. I learned something today. This is my first crack at weapons decorate.

I would have answered it if I happened to see it before Scifista42 did. My answer would have done the job, but his answer is more elegant than mine would have been.

Just now, Empyre said:

I would have answered it if I happened to see it before Scifista42 did. My answer would have done the job, but his answer is more elegant than mine would have been.

I have seen you chime in on these things quite a bit. I think it's just that Scifista42 has, to me, been associated with knowing the nitty gritty details of code as it relates to doom at least.

5 minutes ago, DemonusDefunctus said:

I have seen you chime in on these things quite a bit. I think it's just that Scifista42 has, to me, been associated with knowing the nitty gritty details of code as it relates to doom at least.

Yes, he knows more than I do partially because I am still relatively new to coding for Doom, but I knew this one and was ready to answer, but then I scrolled down and saw that it was already answered.

I know. Sometime you guys make me feel so stupid :P. But my wife has lots of experience with code. so she helps out with the logic problems when she has the time. I am more of an artist and an engineer/inventor. Code has always been my weakest area...to the point where I am still using decorate over ZScript because... scared...of stupid.

If you use DECORATE, it might find its way onto a Zandronum server. Art is my weakest link. You are not stupid. You just have smarts in different areas from coders.

And I'll point out that the same thing is happening with your STAF ABCD 1 A_GunFlash.

Besides, you don't even have any flash state anyway...

32 minutes ago, Gez said:

And I'll point out that the same thing is happening with your STAF ABCD 1 A_GunFlash.

Besides, you don't even have any flash state anyway...

Yeah, was supposed to be removed I did it right after posting. Should have updated the OP.

On 11/5/2017 at 6:21 PM, Gez said:

You can, sorta, but you have to use ungodly hacks. Brutal Doom does that AFAIK by testing the presence of some actors at some given places, and if it finds them it assumes that it's the unmodified map it thinks it is, and spawns additional decoration at various places.

I figured it would be hacky, and taking a peak inside Brutal DOOM didn't help. What a god damn mess. I couldn't really understand how he went about doing it at all. It doesn't really matter though, I was just curious.

With missile sprites like the rocket for example how are the rotations handled. Is it just and internal process that read the extra part of the sprite name?

Like if I use say STAF A 1 A_FireMissile...is there anything else I need to do other than name the rotations like STABLA6A4, STABLA7A, etc?

Figured it out. I was right. I was only asking ahead of time because someone was doing the sprites for me and wanted implement them right away.

Edited by DemonusDefunctus

21 hours ago, mgr_inz_rafal said:

Dear DooMers,

Is there a way to rotate PolyObj to a specific angle? Not left or right, but exactly TO?

Make an ACS variable and initialize its value to represent the polyobject's angle. Operate the polyobject exclusively via scripts that appropriately update the variable's value whenever the polyobject rotates, so the value will always match the current angle. Achieve your goal via a script that reads the variable, checks its difference from the target angle, and rotates the polyobject that much into an appropriate direction.

Or make a feature suggestion for a "polyobj_rotateto" function. That's how we got polyobj_moveto after all.

Thank you guys,

I am actuallty glad that there is no easy way since I already faked my effect by manipulating textures. Light will also follow you in the final release.

Will not work correctly in multiplayer, though.

Anyway, is this the correct place to make suggestions or even contribute?

https://github.com/coelckers/gzdoom

Try here, unless you're willing to do the code yourself, then GitHub works (though it's still better to also make a thread on the Code Submission forum to mention it).

Ran into a snag. Been working on the decorate for my Spas12 and have some sound problems. I have the fire and pump sounds on different channels and have tried various combos in order to make it work. Am I missing something?

NVM . Same stupid mistake as before.  :(