*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

48 minutes ago, scifista42 said:

The angle of the line with the Plane Align (Slope) action defines the slope's direction. Make the line non-orthogonal and you'll get a non-orthogonally directed slope.

How would that look for my particular example?

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, scifista42 said:

Or just make another dummy sector adjancent to the 3D floor's control sector at an appropriate position and use Plane Align (Slope) on the line between the two sectors.

That's easy when you want to align something on one axis, harder when you want to align on two axes. Just look at the file I attached.

Share this post


Link to post

How do I check whether or not my map will cause a visplane error? I can't figure out how to run it in Chocolate Doom for "total" vanilla compatibility.

Share this post


Link to post

@GoatLord look around for a copy of Chocorenderlimits and test in that. I don't have a link to hand, sorry!

Share this post


Link to post

Is it possible to limit weapons per slot number? Example: Only one weapon per slot, if you wanted another weapon that goes in that slot, you'd have to drop your current one.

Share this post


Link to post

I guess you'd need a workaround for that, even in GZDoom. For example, upon selecting a weapon, check the player's inventory for every other weapon that could be in the same slot, and remove any such weapon from the player's inventory if he has it. Or alternatively, define a single weapon actor that can function as multiple different weapons, and the currently usable weapon depends on the presence of some dummy item in the player's inventory, and weapon pickups would give or take away these dummy items. There are probably more ways, I don't know what would be the easiest or cleanest one.

Edited by scifista42

Share this post


Link to post

okay i pressed another button and made it so I can't preview in visual mode 3d floors.  This makes it hard with having to trial and error.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

@Zemini You probably disabled Advanced Rendering. Hit Tab to turn it back on while in Visual Mode.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

The next thing I am trying to do is probably the most advanced yet.  I need to attach multiple sector properties to the same sectors.  I need sector damage and Carry North Fast.  Entering in the damage under properties doesn't seem to work.  Is there a easy way to do that?  I suck at scripting so I will need some help there.  Reading about it atm but additional help would be appreciated.


I also need a sound to play when the player enters the sector.

 

Share this post


Link to post

I want to try the mid-level music change in GLBoom+, similar to what was done in Valiant map27/30. How would I go about doing that? I can't seem to locate the music changer object.

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

I want to try the mid-level music change in GLBoom+, similar to what was done in Valiant map27/30. How would I go about doing that? I can't seem to locate the music changer object.

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/MUSINFO

 

That should explain it pretty well. You might have to enter the thing number by hand though.

 

On 12/10/2017 at 4:47 PM, Zemini said:

The next thing I am trying to do is probably the most advanced yet.  I need to attach multiple sector properties to the same sectors.  I need sector damage and Carry North Fast.  Entering in the damage under properties doesn't seem to work.  Is there a easy way to do that?  I suck at scripting so I will need some help there.  Reading about it atm but additional help would be appreciated.


I also need a sound to play when the player enters the sector.

 

This should work in Boom format and ZDoom:

Set the damage normally.

Make a linedef somewhere that points in the direction you want the floor to scroll. (Think of it as drawing a vector, if you've learned that in math/physics)

Set the line to have action 253:Scroll Tagged Floor, Carry Objects, tag it and the sector with the same tag.

Optional, but highly recommended: Scream in anger, as drawing the line is just like plugging in an USB cable, it always goes the wrong way the first time.

 

Alternatively, if you're using (G)ZDoom:

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Scroll_Floor

Share this post


Link to post

Sorry if I didn't make  myself clear.  I need 3 actions within a sector.  

 

-Damage

-Play sound when entering

-Scroll or Move player forward (240 seems to do the job)

 

I think I can do at least the two actions with ACS but I need help writing it.  I think this forum should include a ACS guide or a person that helps writing them.  I learn best from seeing examples.


Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post

Hey all. Just wondering how is it possible to, when replacing map names with custom ones during intermission screens, to also include the author of the map beneath the map title i.e. Community Chest series, NOVA series, etc. 

 

I use Doom Writer, and can indeed put text below the map name, but have no idea how to make the bottom text smaller to look like the ones seen in the aforementioned WADs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

 

EDIT: This would be intended for Boom ports.

Edited by TheV1perK1ller

Share this post


Link to post

1. In Doom Writer, write map name using big font and export the image.

2. In Doom Writer, write map author name using small font and export the image.

3. In another, general-purpose graphic editor (like GIMP), open both images and combine them using copy-paste.

Share this post


Link to post
On dimanche 10 décembre 2017 at 7:47 PM, Zemini said:

The next thing I am trying to do is probably the most advanced yet.  I need to attach multiple sector properties to the same sectors.  I need sector damage and Carry North Fast.  Entering in the damage under properties doesn't seem to work.  Is there a easy way to do that?  I suck at scripting so I will need some help there.  Reading about it atm but additional help would be appreciated.


I also need a sound to play when the player enters the sector.

 

 

What port and map format? From the mention of damage under properties, I'm going to guess GZDoom UDMF.

 

For doing an action when the player enters the sector, look at using a sector action thing. Specifically this one. Alternatively, I'm not sure what kind of sound you want to make on enter, and it's possible that using TERRAIN to define a splash actor might make more sense. The sound would be played when the splash is made. (Splash is not necessarily an actual splash. It's often used to make footstep sounds.)

 

For damage, it's possible it didn't work because you forgot to give an interval. See damaging floor for a full overview of every possible way a sector can inflict damage. And finally, look at carrying sector for an overview of the different methods to get carry effects.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/1/2017 at 8:36 PM, GoatLord said:

So I've been playing with 3D floors and got stumped experimenting. In the screenshot, you can see that there is a logical polygon that would be filled in the yellow space; it would have to be non-coplanar in order to "complete" the implied shape. The only way this would work would be to take the perpendicular vertex and pinch it to meet the vertices at the top of the shape. Is this even possible with 3D floors?

doom 3d.gif

So that's about a 45 degree slant you want there so make a ramp in a dummy sector in a wall as close as you can get it to this thing.  The farther away the  harder it's going to be.  You want the slant to be facing the same direction as you want the slant to go in this picture.  You want your dummy sector to be 45 degrees diagonal to the picture on the grid.  Its harder to do if its straight over from it.   So lets say that your dummy sector is exactly 1024 grid units away; you will want the dummy sector slant to be about 1024 height units lower then where the floating shape is you have here (if it were a downward 45 degrees you needed the slant to be then the dummy sector would be 1024 units higher then the shape) after the distance is determined draw a line from the shape to the dummy sector to measure the exact distance to know how much lower the sector should be.

Edited by Byeblothingal 1024

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Gez said:

 

What port and map format? From the mention of damage under properties, I'm going to guess GZDoom UDMF.

 

For doing an action when the player enters the sector, look at using a sector action thing. Specifically this one. Alternatively, I'm not sure what kind of sound you want to make on enter, and it's possible that using TERRAIN to define a splash actor might make more sense. The sound would be played when the splash is made. (Splash is not necessarily an actual splash. It's often used to make footstep sounds.)

 

For damage, it's possible it didn't work because you forgot to give an interval. See damaging floor for a full overview of every possible way a sector can inflict damage. And finally, look at carrying sector for an overview of the different methods to get carry effects.

 

UDMF GZdoom!  Yes

 

Okay I got the sector damage to work and the carry fast!  Thanks

 

I am trying to play one of the player death sounds (DSPDIEHI).   Just need it to play one time.  

 

EDIT: half way there.

 

I made a invisible thing in decorate so it gets telefragged and makes the sound.  But I need the creature to respawn shortly after.  Can you set custom respawning on a thing?  Can this be done using a demon spitter?

 

Edited by Zemini

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/3/2017 at 2:34 PM, GoatLord said:

How do I check whether or not my map will cause a visplane error? I can't figure out how to run it in Chocolate Doom for "total" vanilla compatibility.

What I always did back when checking for visplanes was running around in the wad & looking at the most complex areas I made in the map & deliberately not making intricate shit with a whole lot of floors & ceilings.  But the only way I know of is to run through the level in game mode &; look around.

Edited by Byeblothingal 1024

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Byeblothingal 1024 said:

What I always did back when checking for visplanes was running around in the wad & looking at the most complex areas I made in the map & deliberately not making intricate shit with a whole lot of floors & ceilings.  But the only way I know of is to run through the level in game mode &; look around.

Yes, but this must be done in a non-limit removing port. I can't figure out how to do this in Chocolate Doom which has the limits in place.

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/3/2017 at 1:34 PM, GoatLord said:

How do I check whether or not my map will cause a visplane error? I can't figure out how to run it in Chocolate Doom for "total" vanilla compatibility.

 

or

andrewj's Visplane Explorer standalone or as plugin for DB2 . The plugin was slightly reworked by MaxED and incorporated into GZDoom Builder, and therefore is also present in GZDB-BF.

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

You could trigger the sound with ACS instead of a custom actor. And again you can use ACS to spawn things and kill things etc, if you insist on using the actor. :)

 

PlaySound:

https://zdoom.org/wiki/PlaySound

 

 

Could you please help me with the ACS part of this?

 

Trying to have a sound play when I enter a sector but i can't grasp on how to set up the script.  This sound needs to play every time I enter it or at least have a delay.  Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Zemini said:

Trying to have a sound play when I enter a sector...

As Dragonfly mentioned, you could use Playsound.

Or you could use thing type 9998 (actor enters sector).

Or both.

 

If the sounds are new, then copy them into your map structure

 

i4DjbpQ.png

 

and define them in SNDINFO.

 

KATYDID     KATYDID
new/gong4  gong4

Then trigger them from the sector action or crossing a linedef, excecuting the appropriate script

#include "zcommon.acs"
script 1 (void)
{
    ActivatorSound ( "new/gong4", 127 );
}
script 2 (void)
{
    PlaySound ( 11, "KATYDID", CHAN_5, 1.0, FALSE, 0);
}

 

 

play_a_sound.7z

Edited by Kappes Buur
added example pwad
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

Kappes covered it while I was asleep. If you still need help after that, let me know!

Share this post


Link to post

Bam!  Got it.  Thanks so much!  See this has opened up a lot more ACS fun

Edited by Zemini

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now