*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

8 hours ago, 94's the best style said:

How to make an explosive projectile not hurt its sender? In this case the player themselves. I was looking at A_Explode's XF_HURTSOURCE flag, but as it's set by default, I don't know how to remove it.

Set A_Explode's 3rd parameter to zero. As in, write something like this:

A_Explode(128,128,0)

Edited by scifista42
1 person likes this

Anyone have experience adding monsters from other wads into the doom wad?

For instance, I am trying to copy the more complex Death Wyvern (dragon) but I get many decorate errors involving its custom "attacks".  A_DragonInitFlight, A_ImpMsAttack, ect.  What is the trick to this? Thanks.

https://zdoom.org/wiki/A_DragonInitFlight said:

This codepointer is restricted to Dragon and derived classes.

That means your custom actor must inherit from Dragon (or from an actor that inherits from Dragon, or from an actor that inherits from an actor that inherits from Dragon, etc.) in order to use A_DragonInitFlight in its states.

1 person likes this

Also, unless you want to change their actor code, you do not need to add the Hexen monsters to Doom. The Hexen monsters are already in ZDoom. You just need to provide the sprites, sounds, and give them an editor number through MAPINFO.

1 hour ago, scifista42 said:

That means your custom actor must inherit from Dragon (or from an actor that inherits from Dragon, or from an actor that inherits from an actor that inherits from Dragon, etc.) in order to use A_DragonInitFlight in its states.

So basically copy https://zdoom.org/wiki/Classes:Dragon,  and just have it inherit from dragon by adding actor NewDragon : Dragon 123456?  I think I have all the sounds.  But why wouldn't the default dragon work?

17 minutes ago, Gez said:

Also, unless you want to change their actor code, you do not need to add the Hexen monsters to Doom. The Hexen monsters are already in ZDoom. You just need to provide the sprites, sounds, and give them an editor number through MAPINFO.

I did that, but I assume you meant decorate?  I tried adding the imp gargoyle from heretic.wad with sprites/sounds and it crashes the game.  Ill have to get the exact error when I get home but i think it involves A_ImpMsAttack.  But right now there are only doom2.wad monsters (and custom ones I added) since the game is using that as it's base.

Thanks

You do not need to have any DECORATE code at all (unless you want to modify the actors). Use ZMAPINFO to give them an editor number. Then place them. That's all.

What you will need to copy are the sprites, sounds, and SNDINFO code. Do not copy any of the standard actor classes; they are already in the engine.

I understand your second part which is done already.  But I don't understand "give them a editor number" in ZMAPINFO. I have a MAPINFO lump though.  Should I be using ZMAPINFO all this time?  Thanks.

OKay I am getting there.  Next question, how do I know what all the sounds are?  Zdoom.org doens't list which sound lumps every monster uses. Unless I am blind, thanks.

After I figure this out, I should be good to go!

Edited by Zemini

You'll need to look at the SNDINFO code. For most games, it'll be in gzdoom.pk3, in a filter subdirectory. (filter/game-doomchex for Doom sounds; filter/game-heretic for Heretic sounds, filter/game-strife for Strife sounds) For Hexen, however, while there are some sounds defined in filter/game-hexen, the bulk of the SNDINFO code is in the Hexen IWAD.

Note that since the SNDINFO lumps are filtered, that means that you will need to copy the relevant SNDINFO code, too.

You'll find the sound lumps in the relevant IWADs.

1 person likes this