Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
‹rd›

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

It appears that the first and foremost search result in Google for the search "Making a map for DOOM" is the webpage for Doombuilder2.. It's no wonder that those new to mapping will download DB2, use it and think no further about it.

In the DoomWiki, when searching for "Editor", there is no mention of any editor beyond Doombuilder2. Maybe someone could rectify that. I tried to fix it, but I cannot log in anymore.

The result is that countless times we have to draw attention to the fact that DoombuilderX, GZDoom Builder, GZDoom Builder Bugfix and Ultimate Doom Builder exist. I should not leave out Slade3 or Eureka.

I made some tutorials about starting to map, but they are contained in the tutorials sections of the Doomworld and ZDoom forums, but those sections seem to be unintuitive to access.

Posted (edited)

With Decorate, is there a way to make it so a weapon dropped by an enemy gives the same amount of ammo as when it's normally picked up? I have a weapon that gives 1 ammo and it appears to be getting rounded down to 0 when dropped.

edit: I solved it by making the weapon give 0 ammo, and replacing the drop with a CustomInventory item that grants the weapon and some ammo.

Edited by plums

On lundi 1 juin 2020 at 12:55 AM, plums said:

With Decorate, is there a way to make it so a weapon dropped by an enemy gives the same amount of ammo as when it's normally picked up? I have a weapon that gives 1 ammo and it appears to be getting rounded down to 0 when dropped.

Yes.

DropItem Chaingun, 20

DropItem Shotgun, 8

Posted (edited)

Simple question (should be a part of the "basics" I still have to learn ;-) ):

I have a big monster closet with about 30 cacodemons inside. Once they are alerted seeing the player, they fly above a walkover line of type 126 "WR Teleport /mon" to teleport to another place in the room to make the ambush less predictable.

However, the majority of the cacodemons (around 20) simply fly straight to the player, ignoring the teleport line.

How can I fix this? I already tried it with a second teleport line behind the first one (attached to another tag/sector) in the case one of the monsters blocked others from reaching the teleporting spot, but that seems not to solve the problem. Both teleport linedefs point to the original position of the cacos.

Maybe has it to do with the cacodemons themselves (because they fly and do not "walk", but aren't they infinitely tall?)? I have another similar ambush in another place with other monsters and there it works perfectly ...

50 minutes ago, erzboesewicht said:

Simple question (should be a part of the "basics" I still have to learn ;-) ):

I have a big monster closet with about 30 cacodemons inside. Once they are alerted seeing the player, they fly above a walkover line of type 126 "WR Teleport /mon" to teleport to another place in the room to make the ambush less predictable.

However, the majority of the cacodemons (around 20) simply fly straight to the player, ignoring the teleport line.

How can I fix this? I already tried it with a second teleport line behind the first one (attached to another tag/sector) in the case one of the monsters blocked others from reaching the teleporting spot, but that seems not to solve the problem. Both teleport linedefs point to the original position of the cacos.

Maybe has it to do with the cacodemons themselves (because they fly and do not "walk", but aren't they infinitely tall?)? I have another similar ambush in another place with other monsters and there it works perfectly ...

Cacos teleport just fine, but even 2 lines might not be enough to have them clear the landing spot fast enough. Perhaps the better alternative would be to make an isolated sector, long but just one caco wide and join it (J in Doom Builder 2, probably others as well) with one of the sectors nearby. The sector in room should be selected first. Now cacos will wake up when you fire a gun in the room and all you need is a teleport line that would release them. If room is one caco-wide they'll all make it to the pad as they move back and forth.

Of course it won't quite work if it's your opening act. Perhaps a few single-use lines to flank player while majority of cacos fly from their original position would be a better fit.

Posted (edited)

That is very useful! So that is the reason why many Doom maps have these ultra-long and narrow sectors in the void, I always wondered about that ... I interpret that this basically means that the "landing spot" is a pretty small thing and must be totally cleared for other monsters to appear there. Thanks, that solves it!

@Alper002: Awesome tutorial, thanks!

Edited by erzboesewicht

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, aletheos eberlain said:

Can I make a switch stay on or off until I trigger the script again, from the same line(toggle switch)?

What you can do, is give the switch line in question a tag/id. Then, you can make sure the line special put on it is not repeatable. Then, after each time the script has been executed, use SetLineSpecial to give the line the script execution action again.

This works because when an action is not repeatable, Activating the line special simply removes the action from the line. Also, since the line is not set to repeatable, it never tries to switch back to it's original texture like repeatable switches do.

18 minutes ago, Alper002 said:

[Some brilliant fucking advice]

Thank you! This is going to be so amazingly useful, especially when I combine it with ANIMDEFS switches.

Posted (edited)

What exactly happens when floor raises by shortest texture? My assumption was that it will go 128 units up (If textures are all 128 units) but something else happens instead on my sector that is close to a wall.

I want to make a reverse Dead Simple where you first fight arachnotrons then mancubi rise from the floor.

Edit: Found the answer, there's a placeholder texture that is 64 units high. Keeping message in case someone saw it and wonders too.

Edited by ViolentBeetle

Ok I give up, and gotta ask this stupid question. Using Ult Doom Builder. Can you select a group of sectors without it grabbing things too. I thought I had this one figured out in the past, but it's been re-bugging me for ages now. I've looked through all the settings... and if it exists, I'm not seeing it. :p

Posted (edited)

@Dragonfly

Ahhh thanks man. I knew I had that figured out before. I probably even asked in this thread before. lol I'll probably loose that little button again, no doubt. ;)

It's cool, I forget where it is all the time, too. Took a couple of mins to find it again :P.

Posted (edited)

What's wrong here? I've perfect cube-model made in blender (or not made it is there when you start the program).
On modeldef I scaled it up with 64 64 64 resulting 128x128x ??? on Doom? As you can see height isn't right. ZScript height 128, radius 64.
Is this that pixelratio nonsense? I've set pixelratio to 1.0. What problems that will arise..

tBk2nmd.png

Also top and bottom doesn't render properly on Ultimate doom builder while in game it's ok:

1NMkwHC.png

UV-map (difference to upper pics, changed white to black..)

TODXya2.png

Why model? They are easier to put into a map, don't break map geometry, they can be pushed and destructed. While rotated ones causes another problem..