Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, ViolentBeetle said:

Can I make a wall safe-like structure in Doom format? Essentially something that can be locked, a pickable item inside but the room itself can't be entered and you can't ram into the room face-first and pick it through the wall either. The latter part complicates everything.

 

Maybe put a key locked bar in front of a small lift that can be lowered to drop the item into the player's reach. Not sure if it would be confusing to players who don't know what they're looking at, though.

Share this post


Link to post
46 minutes ago, BoxY said:

 

Maybe put a key locked bar in front of a small lift that can be lowered to drop the item into the player's reach. Not sure if it would be confusing to players who don't know what they're looking at, though.

That's a viable option but it wouldn't look particularly a lot like a safe anymore. I might as well just make a vault room.

Share this post


Link to post

I think I have figured out, but still not sure. I wanted to make a new animated flat for Boom using ANIMATED lump, for this end I copied one from cc4-tex.wad over.

Do I need to retain all the lines? I think they cover existing animations only.

Share this post


Link to post

Is there any way to simply swap linedef indices? As in like...not tags, but the unique identifiers that every linedef has. Since some vanilla linedef actions such as donuts and changing floor textures are dependent on lower linedef numbers it’s kind of a pain in the knickers when I need to replace a linedef with one of a lower index, if the only way to do it is to surgically remove a low-indexed linedef from another part of the map and drop it in where I need it. Is there really no less janky way to do this in UDB?

Share this post


Link to post

Is there an easy name to merge two PNAMES lumps together? Will it be a problem if there's duplicated names because I accidentally grabbed some vanilla patches as well?

Share this post


Link to post

Duplicated names shouldn't cause any problem, no. However this kind of manipulation is better left to automated tools. Like, what are you trying to do exactly? Merge two texture packs?

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, Gez said:

Duplicated names shouldn't cause any problem, no. However this kind of manipulation is better left to automated tools. Like, what are you trying to do exactly? Merge two texture packs?

More or less. I want to take CC4 textures pack and add some extra textures. I built my own texture pack in my own WAD, putting them into TEXTURE2 lump, but then I realized I would have only one PNAMES.

Share this post


Link to post
54 minutes ago, StupidBunny said:

Is there any way to simply swap linedef indices? As in like...not tags, but the unique identifiers that every linedef has. Since some vanilla linedef actions such as donuts and changing floor textures are dependent on lower linedef numbers it’s kind of a pain in the knickers when I need to replace a linedef with one of a lower index, if the only way to do it is to surgically remove a low-indexed linedef from another part of the map and drop it in where I need it. Is there really no less janky way to do this in UDB?

As far as I'm aware, no. The only editor I've tried using that has anything like that is doom builder X, as it includes a lua script that can swap two linedef indices.

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, ViolentBeetle said:

More or less. I want to take CC4 textures pack and add some extra textures. I built my own texture pack in my own WAD, putting them into TEXTURE2 lump, but then I realized I would have only one PNAMES.

SLADE's texture editor can handle that for you in the background.

 

Open the texture editor for CC4 and the texture editor for your own pack. Copy all the textures from CC4 and paste them in your own pack. Your PNAMES now contain everything required.

 

It will also copy the required patches, too.

Share this post


Link to post
49 minutes ago, Gez said:

SLADE's texture editor can handle that for you in the background.

 

Open the texture editor for CC4 and the texture editor for your own pack. Copy all the textures from CC4 and paste them in your own pack. Your PNAMES now contain everything required.

 

It will also copy the required patches, too.

Yeah, I suppose there's not much point to keep two wads separate in the final version.

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Alper002 said:

As far as I'm aware, no. The only editor I've tried using that has anything like that is doom builder X, as it includes a lua script that can swap two linedef indices.


Damn there’s so many forks of DB2 now. This one looks cool, I’ve just gotten used to UDB but I’ll give DBX a try. It looks neat.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, StupidBunny said:


Damn there’s so many forks of DB2 now. This one looks cool, I’ve just gotten used to UDB but I’ll give DBX a try. It looks neat.

 

Nah, there's the UDB lineage (GZDB -> GZDB-bugfix -> UDB) and the DBX lineage. Those are all I know, at least.

 

And sadly all are .NET (and iirc use Winforms?), and Wine detests them. I have to map using Slade. Hmph.

Share this post


Link to post

If making levels compatible with Boom, what is the easiest way to make monsters who are supposed to teleport in be alerted by the players presence at a certain point? Right now I have to make tiny 1 unit wide/tall corridors to monster cages but that seem awfully clumsy in the long run.

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, CyberHog said:

If making levels compatible with Boom, what is the easiest way to make monsters who are supposed to teleport in be alerted by the players presence at a certain point? Right now I have to make tiny 1 unit wide/tall corridors to monster cages but that seem awfully clumsy in the long run.

You can join sectors together by selecting the two and pressing J. Sound propagates on sector basis.

It also means that if you put monsters on a scroller and they ride it into a sector where sound was heard at any point, they will become alerted.

Share this post


Link to post
31 minutes ago, ViolentBeetle said:

You can join sectors together by selecting the two and pressing J. Sound propagates on sector basis.

It also means that if you put monsters on a scroller and they ride it into a sector where sound was heard at any point, they will become alerted.

 

Thanks a lot! I just knew there was an easier way to do it but could not find it yesterday. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post

Is it simply not OK to give negative coordinates to a patch in Boom format? I tried using lower part of the patch as a texture and it doesn't seem to work correctly. Do I need to cut patches in smaller units?

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
On samedi 6 mars 2021 at 6:09 PM, Gustavo6046 said:

Nah, there's the UDB lineage (GZDB -> GZDB-bugfix -> UDB) and the DBX lineage. Those are all I know, at least.

There are also more specialized forks out there. There's Doom Builder 64 (it was used to create the new campaign for the official Doom 64 re-release), there's Zone Builder for SRB2, and there's 3DGE Builder.

Share this post


Link to post

So I've been altering the palette to give myself some darker reds that make some custom textures not resolve down to three whole colors at lower light levels, and I did so the 'smart' way by reclaiming the duplicated fully white entries in the pallette, but as a result the imps are missing teeth and the centres of fireballs and muzzle flashes are now see through. Okay, I get it, those sprites are using those altered pallette slots. So I can easily make a translation to fix that, and it's not even that hard to copy out all the sprites and textures from the iwad and apply it to them. But then... I now have to rebundle *every* image from the original game? Is there a way to only copy over altered files? Slade has a maintenance script for this, but it doesn't handle it properly, I think the act of applying the translation to the sprites counts as an alternation even if no colors were actually modified. Is there a better way of doing this?

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Buzzerb5x9x said:

how do i get the transparent textures to work (cages, bars ect)

They need to be a mid-texture on a two-sided linedef.

They won't be transparent on lower or upper texture, at least not in Doom or Boom format.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, ViolentBeetle said:

They need to be a mid-texture on a two-sided linedef.

They won't be transparent on lower or upper texture, at least not in Doom or Boom format.

thanks dude!

Share this post


Link to post

Anyone got any "computers showing demonic imagery" textures? There's 2 animated loops in OTEX, but I'd like to have some more options.

Share this post


Link to post

This custom sky texture I imported isn't showing up right, it looks all squashed and is tiling incorrectly:

 

sky.jpg.9aedcf6b313a2b16bc772f7a7668a59c.jpg

 

 

I assume this is to do with the size and/or format of the image (its one of Mechadon's box of skies), I converted it to Doom graphic in SLADE but what have I missed? Do I need to resize it somehow and convert to a bitmap?

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, VisionThing said:

This custom sky texture I imported isn't showing up right, it looks all squashed and is tiling incorrectly:

 

sky.jpg.9aedcf6b313a2b16bc772f7a7668a59c.jpg

 

 

I assume this is to do with the size and/or format of the image (its one of Mechadon's box of skies), I converted it to Doom graphic in SLADE but what have I missed? Do I need to resize it somehow and convert to a bitmap?

Have you just replaced RSKY1 lump with a new one?

The actual texture is defined inside TEXTURE1 lump and has size specified 256x128. Mek has different dimensions (Most of them are 1024 units wide for full wraparound) - so you'll have to change that.

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, ViolentBeetle said:

Have you just replaced RSKY1 lump with a new one?

The actual texture is defined inside TEXTURE1 lump and has size specified 256x128. Mek has different dimensions (Most of them are 1024 units wide for full wraparound) - so you'll have to change that.

 

Yes that's what I did, which worked fine before when I was just swapping the MAP20 and onwards sky for the MAP01+ sky, this is all I have in SLADE atm:

 

sky2.jpg.29da88258605a6a8fbe6d249a3a5d6e9.jpg

 

 

How do I redefine the size from here? I've no TEXTURE1 lump, possibly cause I haven't imported all the custom textures I'm using in the WAD into SLADE just yet?

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, VisionThing said:

How do I redefine the size from here? I've no TEXTURE1 lump, possibly cause I haven't imported all the custom textures I'm using in the WAD into SLADE just yet?

Yeah, you need to copy TEXTURE1 lump from the iwad (Or texture pack you are using, if using) and then double-click it to actually start editing textures.

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, ViolentBeetle said:

Yeah, you need to copy TEXTURE1 lump from the iwad (Or texture pack you are using, if using) and then double-click it to actually start editing textures.

 

Thanks, that worked like a charm! Size now matches the actual image:

 

sky3.jpg.7c2e7d36ce0bce5fa8c3c1a819abab8f.jpg

 

If I could pick your brain once more, would I be able to use the texture scaling option in SLADE to make it look a bit zoomed out, or a tad less pixellated? Though this isn't an HD texture, so if not, I can live with it. 

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, VisionThing said:

 

Thanks, that worked like a charm! Size now matches the actual image:

 

sky3.jpg.7c2e7d36ce0bce5fa8c3c1a819abab8f.jpg

 

If I could pick your brain once more, would I be able to use the texture scaling option in SLADE to make it look a bit zoomed out, or a tad less pixellated? Though this isn't an HD texture, so if not, I can live with it. 

Don't know anything about this, unfortunately.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×