Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

In DeHackEd the sounds that entities make are indexed. In some source ports the index goes from 0 to 113. What's the index for Vanilla DOOM?

48 minutes ago, Ar_e_en said:

In DeHackEd the sounds that entities make are indexed. In some source ports the index goes from 0 to 113. What's the index for Vanilla DOOM?

Well:

Spoiler

//
// Identifiers for all sfx in game.
//

typedef enum
{
    sfx_None,
    sfx_pistol,
    sfx_shotgn,
    sfx_sgcock,
    sfx_dshtgn,
    sfx_dbopn,
    sfx_dbcls,
    sfx_dbload,
    sfx_plasma,
    sfx_bfg,
    sfx_sawup,
    sfx_sawidl,
    sfx_sawful,
    sfx_sawhit,
    sfx_rlaunc,
    sfx_rxplod,
    sfx_firsht,
    sfx_firxpl,
    sfx_pstart,
    sfx_pstop,
    sfx_doropn,
    sfx_dorcls,
    sfx_stnmov,
    sfx_swtchn,
    sfx_swtchx,
    sfx_plpain,
    sfx_dmpain,
    sfx_popain,
    sfx_vipain,
    sfx_mnpain,
    sfx_pepain,
    sfx_slop,
    sfx_itemup,
    sfx_wpnup,
    sfx_oof,
    sfx_telept,
    sfx_posit1,
    sfx_posit2,
    sfx_posit3,
    sfx_bgsit1,
    sfx_bgsit2,
    sfx_sgtsit,
    sfx_cacsit,
    sfx_brssit,
    sfx_cybsit,
    sfx_spisit,
    sfx_bspsit,
    sfx_kntsit,
    sfx_vilsit,
    sfx_mansit,
    sfx_pesit,
    sfx_sklatk,
    sfx_sgtatk,
    sfx_skepch,
    sfx_vilatk,
    sfx_claw,
    sfx_skeswg,
    sfx_pldeth,
    sfx_pdiehi,
    sfx_podth1,
    sfx_podth2,
    sfx_podth3,
    sfx_bgdth1,
    sfx_bgdth2,
    sfx_sgtdth,
    sfx_cacdth,
    sfx_skldth,
    sfx_brsdth,
    sfx_cybdth,
    sfx_spidth,
    sfx_bspdth,
    sfx_vildth,
    sfx_kntdth,
    sfx_pedth,
    sfx_skedth,
    sfx_posact,
    sfx_bgact,
    sfx_dmact,
    sfx_bspact,
    sfx_bspwlk,
    sfx_vilact,
    sfx_noway,
    sfx_barexp,
    sfx_punch,
    sfx_hoof,
    sfx_metal,
    sfx_chgun,
    sfx_tink,
    sfx_bdopn,
    sfx_bdcls,
    sfx_itmbk,
    sfx_flame,
    sfx_flamst,
    sfx_getpow,
    sfx_bospit,
    sfx_boscub,
    sfx_bossit,
    sfx_bospn,
    sfx_bosdth,
    sfx_manatk,
    sfx_mandth,
    sfx_sssit,
    sfx_ssdth,
    sfx_keenpn,
    sfx_keendt,
    sfx_skeact,
    sfx_skesit,
    sfx_skeatk,
    sfx_radio,
    NUMSFX
} sfxenum_t;

sfx_None is 0, sfx_pistol is 1, sfx_shotgn is 2, and so on until sfx_radio at index 108.

22 hours ago, Gez said:

Well:

Reveal hidden contents

//
// Identifiers for all sfx in game.
//

typedef enum
{
    sfx_None,
    sfx_pistol,
    sfx_shotgn,
    sfx_sgcock,
    sfx_dshtgn,
    sfx_dbopn,
    sfx_dbcls,
    sfx_dbload,
    sfx_plasma,
    sfx_bfg,
    sfx_sawup,
    sfx_sawidl,
    sfx_sawful,
    sfx_sawhit,
    sfx_rlaunc,
    sfx_rxplod,
    sfx_firsht,
    sfx_firxpl,
    sfx_pstart,
    sfx_pstop,
    sfx_doropn,
    sfx_dorcls,
    sfx_stnmov,
    sfx_swtchn,
    sfx_swtchx,
    sfx_plpain,
    sfx_dmpain,
    sfx_popain,
    sfx_vipain,
    sfx_mnpain,
    sfx_pepain,
    sfx_slop,
    sfx_itemup,
    sfx_wpnup,
    sfx_oof,
    sfx_telept,
    sfx_posit1,
    sfx_posit2,
    sfx_posit3,
    sfx_bgsit1,
    sfx_bgsit2,
    sfx_sgtsit,
    sfx_cacsit,
    sfx_brssit,
    sfx_cybsit,
    sfx_spisit,
    sfx_bspsit,
    sfx_kntsit,
    sfx_vilsit,
    sfx_mansit,
    sfx_pesit,
    sfx_sklatk,
    sfx_sgtatk,
    sfx_skepch,
    sfx_vilatk,
    sfx_claw,
    sfx_skeswg,
    sfx_pldeth,
    sfx_pdiehi,
    sfx_podth1,
    sfx_podth2,
    sfx_podth3,
    sfx_bgdth1,
    sfx_bgdth2,
    sfx_sgtdth,
    sfx_cacdth,
    sfx_skldth,
    sfx_brsdth,
    sfx_cybdth,
    sfx_spidth,
    sfx_bspdth,
    sfx_vildth,
    sfx_kntdth,
    sfx_pedth,
    sfx_skedth,
    sfx_posact,
    sfx_bgact,
    sfx_dmact,
    sfx_bspact,
    sfx_bspwlk,
    sfx_vilact,
    sfx_noway,
    sfx_barexp,
    sfx_punch,
    sfx_hoof,
    sfx_metal,
    sfx_chgun,
    sfx_tink,
    sfx_bdopn,
    sfx_bdcls,
    sfx_itmbk,
    sfx_flame,
    sfx_flamst,
    sfx_getpow,
    sfx_bospit,
    sfx_boscub,
    sfx_bossit,
    sfx_bospn,
    sfx_bosdth,
    sfx_manatk,
    sfx_mandth,
    sfx_sssit,
    sfx_ssdth,
    sfx_keenpn,
    sfx_keendt,
    sfx_skeact,
    sfx_skesit,
    sfx_skeatk,
    sfx_radio,
    NUMSFX
} sfxenum_t;

sfx_None is 0, sfx_pistol is 1, sfx_shotgn is 2, and so on until sfx_radio at index 108.

Thank you!

:)

Doing that "manually" with SLADE isn't that long. Mass select all textures from wad #1, copy paste in wad #2, done. Do that once in the texture editor for proper textures, and then once again in the resource editor for flats and (if present) stand-alone textures.

The thing that may make this more effort-intensive is if you need to resolve name conflicts. But that's also where a fully automated system would fail.

1 hour ago, Gez said:

Doing that "manually" with SLADE isn't that long. Mass select all textures from wad #1, copy paste in wad #2, done. Do that once in the texture editor for proper textures, and then once again in the resource editor for flats and (if present) stand-alone textures.

The thing that may make this more effort-intensive is if you need to resolve name conflicts. But that's also where a fully automated system would fail.

Thanks Gez
I used to do it just like you suggest, but I really got tired of doing clean up of name conflicts manually.
P.S.
I've already got deutex to do it all :)

1 hour ago, SilverMiner said:

I used to do it just like you suggest, but I really got tired of doing clean up of name conflicts manually.

There's a maintenance tools in slade to detect duplicates. I haven't merged packs wholesale though.

Any program which will help me clean out unused patches and flats without completely wrecking my TEXTURES lumps? Slade has a built in function but it's fucking stupid and doesn't heed animated lumps, so it'll want to delete all but the first frames on animated flats and textures, also it always ruins TEXTURES.

On 11/16/2021 at 5:07 PM, ChopBlock223 said:

Any program which will help me clean out unused patches and flats without completely wrecking my TEXTURES lumps? Slade has a built in function but it's fucking stupid and doesn't heed animated lumps, so it'll want to delete all but the first frames on animated flats and textures, also it always ruins TEXTURES.

Animation is a problem and you have to manually uncheck all the frames, but otherwise it works well. I think newest version of PrBoom+ actually tells you name of a texture that's missing, if you end up deleting it so you can correct.

Now my question:

unknown.png

unknown.png

Out of all non-blocking corpses, this one has a different collision. It's not just UDB thing, they actually do this in-game.

I don't want to make the plank wider, but maybe there's something I could do to fix this?

16 hours ago, ViolentBeetle said:

I don't want to make the plank wider, but maybe there's something I could do to fix this?

Can the hitbox be edited to match the others with DeHacked? Slightly rough approach, but it should solve the problem, and be unlikely to cause problems elsewhere (though maybe ask the other guys first, just in case).

The only other thing I can think of is to have small bits of lowered sky sectors near the end of the plank, but that WILL be noticeable (short of playing in low resolutions, maybe), it'll obstruct part of the plank.

Otherwise, maybe just make that spot underneath just not walkable and use the blocking corpse instead, perhaps putting a crate underneath, or another blocking decoration.

My understanding is that dead and alive monster are essentially the same entity and arch-vile simply reverses the process of death through resurrect state.

Is it still the case with MBF21? My long-time dream is to make an object that can be resurrected into a monster, but is not the one left behind by that monster.

15 minutes ago, ViolentBeetle said:

My long-time dream is to make an object that can be resurrected into a monster, but is not the one left behind by that monster.

Check it out how Killer Croc throws rocks in Batman Doom (he resurrects them). Pure dehacked

EDIT:

Try something like: if the monster isn't resurrected(make it nonalertable), it never goes into its walking cycle. But when it's resurrected, it does.

Or like: Archvile resurrects a "rock" that spawns another entity, let's say, Afrit; but the rock goes to null state and disappears then

Edited by SilverMiner

According to the Doom Wiki, Arch-Viles “will not use their attack from more than 896 map units away unless hurt.” This is all well and good but are there any caveats for “hurt?”

I’m making a map where I want to encourage distant turret archviles to be able to target the player from pretty far away. If, say, I crusher-detonated a barrel next to a few of them, would they then be angry and start targeting Doomguy from afar? Or does “hurt” mean that they only distance-target the specific enemy/player that hurt them, and then revert to the 896 limit once that target is dead?

So....OK........Textures: People here often post a giant glob of (say) 'computer' textures........how do I carve out just one of those tiny squares? Just cut out the square with Paint (or whatever) and save that as a single file?

You can do that, or you can use composite textures. It'll work in ports that fix the negative offset bug.

texsplit.png

4 hours ago, Chipper35 said:

That helps....thanks. Can you clarify just a bit? I assume that's a screen cap from Slade?

Yes, put it in patches, set size below to the correct one (64x128 in this case) and then adjust patch's position to the right so it fits right through (Here it is -144 -328)

However negative vertical offsets sometimes don't work so I prefer cut them normally.

Yeah, you can define several different textures from a single patch sheet this way; but it'll only work right in ports that fix the negative offset bug (in vanilla, negative vertical offsets are ignored, so you can only use this to define textures from the top row).

Hello. Little problem with making monsters deaf:

- I have an array of revenants on closet that are going into separate teleport by floor scrolling

- They are all have ambush flag on, i even marked surrounding lines with block sound

- And i even marked teleport destinations as ambushing (idk if it working though)

- GZDB map feature shows that sound not propogated into closet

- After shooting revenants in closet are sleeping (checked by idclip)

But all revenants waking up after teleportation. What am I missing?

8 minutes ago, CblBOPOTKA said:

Hello. Little problem with making monsters deaf:

- I have an array of revenants on closet that are going into separate teleport by floor scrolling

- They are all have ambush flag on, i even marked surrounding lines with block sound

- And i even marked teleport destinations as ambushing (idk if it working though)

- GZDB map feature shows that sound not propogated into closet

- After shooting revenants in closet are sleeping (checked by idclip)

But all revenants waking up after teleportation. What am I missing?

Sound propagates on sector basis and never goes away. Once a monster is in a sector that sound ever reached, even if it wasn't there when you fired a shot, it becomes alerted.

Ambushing monsters will not move until they gain line of sight on you, but will have 100% field of view if standing in alerted sector.

You can try surrounding their destination with double sound blocking line.

4 minutes ago, ViolentBeetle said:

Sound propagates on sector basis and never goes away. Once a monster is in a sector that sound ever reached, even if it wasn't there when you fired a shot, it becomes alerted.

Ambushing monsters will not move until they gain line of sight on you, but will have 100% field of view if standing in alerted sector.

You can try surrounding their destination with double sound blocking line.

Wow, it's working. Thanks for detailed explanation)

On 11/22/2021 at 3:40 PM, ViolentBeetle said:

I never knew that!

Is there any reason why textures are showing up correctly in the Wad during testing (in GZDoom outside of the editor), but inside the editor they are showing as unknown/invalid, even though I have compiled them into the Wad using SLADE? This isn't the first time I've had problems with custom textures but the first time they've behaved in this particular way.

Will this cause an issue when someone plays the map? TBH at this point I don't really care as long as they show up properly in game. Is this just the editor not recognizing it somehow/ due to me not loading the extra textures as resources for editing?

15 hours ago, VisionThing said:

Is there any reason why textures are showing up correctly in the Wad during testing (in GZDoom outside of the editor), but inside the editor they are showing as unknown/invalid, even though I have compiled them into the Wad using SLADE? This isn't the first time I've had problems with custom textures but the first time they've behaved in this particular way.

Will this cause an issue when someone plays the map? TBH at this point I don't really care as long as they show up properly in game. Is this just the editor not recognizing it somehow/ due to me not loading the extra textures as resources for editing?

Did you perhaps forgot to convert them to doom format, add patches to PNAMES, or forgot to actually add them to TEXTURE1 lump?

How do I get an item pickup to spawn a custom enemy? The custom enemy doesn't show up under "thing type" in the dropdown in item properties, and both changing it to the type I assigned the custom enemy in DECORATE (19000), and changing the DECORATE to replace an existing enemy (84 - SS Guy) hasn't worked. 

Can you be more explicit? I'm not sure which thing type dropdown you're talking about.

You want to spawn an enemy when the item is picked up? The problem if you want the pickup to spawn the enemy directly is that it'll try to spawn something at its own position, where by definition the player is, picking the item up, and that will cause the enemy spawn to fail.

Using UDMF to make a conveyor belt, what's a good arrangement of sectors and speeds to keep items moving in a continuous motion without falling off the conveyor belt?

Probably a dumb question, but it's recommended to use textures which aren't higher than 128 pixels tall or more than 256 pixels wide. Would it be a bad idea to do a texture which is very tall and narrow? To be more specific, I'm considering making a texture which has the numbers 59 through 00 arranged vertically on a black background, spaced approximately 35 pixels apart, as a way to create what looks like a "timer" when placed on the side of a lowering floor.