Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

5 hours ago, VisionThing said:

Almost every wall texture is now animated or looks like it is cycling through different textures? Hard to describe but its like all the walls are animated now and constantly shifting textures...have I broken something?

So apparently you already fixed it, but just in case it can be useful to other people: this is usually caused by animated textures not being in the order Doom expects to find them.

Doom has several animated wall textures and animated_flat textures. These animations are hardcoded (in vanilla, ports with advanced editing features let you redefine them) and they are defined by a first texture and a last texture in animation. The position in the animation loop is the order in the TEXTURE1 or TEXTURE2 lump for wall textures; for flats it is the order of the flat lumps in the wad.

So normally you get something like this, for example:

joCTPnW.png

If you have SLADRIP1 on a wall, the animation will cycle through the texture list in order: SLADRIP1, then SLADRIP2, then SLADRIP3, which is the end of the animation sequence, so it loops back to SLADRIP1.

Now what happens if you have SLADRIP1 after SLADRIP3, instead of before? Well, the same thing will happen, it'll go through the texture list in order. SLADRIP1, then SLADWALL, then STARG1, then STARG3, and so on, until it reaches the end of the texture list, loops back to its start, and eventually reaches SLADRIP3 this way. Then it goes back to SLADRIP1 and repeats the whole cycle.

Also note that any wall that is inside an animation sequence will follow that animation sequence. For example, if you put SLADRIP2 on a wall, it will animate. So when you accidentally have an animation sequence that encompasses all the textures in the list, then every single texture will be in the global total animation, and all the walls will therefore loop through the entire texture list as a result.

Edited by Gez

First mostly original monster i have made, granted it still has generic imp sounds.
Is it any good?
Intended to be a harasser who moves erratically to keep the players from focusing on them.
May move a little too fast for more Vanilla wads.

HuntingGhoul.zip

14 hours ago, Desfar said:

First mostly original monster i have made, granted it still has generic imp sounds.
Is it any good?
Intended to be a harasser who moves erratically to keep the players from focusing on them.
May move a little too fast for more Vanilla wads.

HuntingGhoul.zip

I tried it out and even in really big arenas, it tends to jump right into a corner and get stuck -> "freightened" feels more like "brainless".

Either remove or change it, because it just looks like bad AI.

Even on great distances, it never fired missiles, even though the code says it has some.

At least the harrassing and erratically moving part you nailed.

Im still thinking about what role they could take, because right now, it's most efficent at killing you with your own rocket explosions and shredding other monsters in infighting, but that conflicts with their "keep the distance" and "freightened" stick.

As for my personal opinion: I am not really a fan. It's really annoying to fight against and if you put them down, it's not satisfying, but more of "finally, I can play the game now" vibe.

I changed the health from 150 to 50, so that you can kill them reliably with one shotgun shot. That way it's more rewarding, because you managed to land one clean shot on the crack monkey, instead of the spray-n-pray approach of thrice the health, but it's up to you to decide if you want to implement that.

Anyway, I took my time and added some custom sounds: https://wadhosting.com/Wad/F537BCDA4C669E92CEE8F0A0D897FE27A31835EE

Edited by ChestedArmor

Throwing random ideas for in my head for bosses in MBF21 project. Would it be possible to make a monster (Using MBF21 dehacked) that fires a 360 degree arc of projectiles, possibly mixing it with sending lost souls the same way?

Whenever I try to load in Hexen as a resource nothing pops up right. The things show up as just the classic doom monsters, and the textures are all in one category. Anyway to fix this? I'm using UDB for clarification.

19 minutes ago, xX_applebeesfan07_Xx said:

Whenever I try to load in Hexen as a resource nothing pops up right. The things show up as just the classic doom monsters, and the textures are all in one category. Anyway to fix this? I'm using UDB for clarification.

You probably need to pick hexen format for the right things to show up. As for categorizing textures, it may start working because I think categories are tied to format too, or maybe definitions is lacking. it's a builder thing and can be edited in settings or with cfg file.

So I have finally figured out a gib system, and now I'm trying to incorporate them to create my ultimate goal of a corpse explosion.
Currently have what should be an Altfire which shoots a test missile which should give an inventory item to the nearby corpses, which are in a custom corpse state which loops until a token makes it jump to the corpse explosion state.
However it doesn't trigger. This is all relevant code bite from my modified test imp.
Yes its decorate, I'm a glorified chimp when it comes to code.
And I really hope the solution isn't completely obvious.

Death:
    TROO I 8
    TROO J 8 A_Scream
    TROO K 6
    TROO L 6 A_NoBlocking
    TROO M 1
    GOTO Corpse

Corpse:
    TNT1 A 0 A_JumpIfInventory("CorpseExplosion",1,"CorpseBomb")
    TROO M 1
    LOOP

CorpseBomb:
 TNT1 A 0 A_PlaySound("Explosion/SquishyBoom")
 TNT1 A 0 A_SpawnItem("GoreExplosion")
 TNT1 A 0 A_SpawnItemEx("GorePieceA", 0, 0, 5, random(1,5), 0, 3, Random(0, 360), 128)
 TNT1 A 0 A_SpawnItemEx("GorePieceB", 0, 0, 5, random(1,5), 0, 3, Random(0, 360), 128)
 TNT1 A 0 A_SpawnItemEx("GorePieceC", 0, 0, 5, random(1,5), 0, 3, Random(0, 360), 128)
 TNT1 A 0 A_SpawnItemEx("GorePieceD", 0, 0, 5, random(1,5), 0, 3, Random(0, 360), 128)
 TNT1 A 1 A_SpawnItemEx("FlyingSkull", 0, 0, 5) //flying minion, will likely be cut.
    stop

ACTOR CorpseExplosion : Ammo
{
    +INVENTORY.IGNORESKILL
    Inventory.MaxAmount 1
    Ammo.BackpackAmount 0
    Ammo.BackpackMaxAmount 0
}

ProjectileTrigger

Spawn:
        GRMT Z 1 //simple green arrow as placeholder
        Loop
    Death:
      tnt1 a 0 A_radiusgive("CorpseExplosion",16,0,1)
      TNT1 A 0 A_AlertMonsters(1280)

A_RadiusGive needs some filtering flags (otherwise it gives the item to nobody). I think your case needs probably the RGF_CORPSES flag.

Also I think 16 unit radius is too small for this.

17 hours ago, jaeden said:

I think your case needs probably the RGF_CORPSES flag.

Also I think 16 unit radius is too small for this.

That did it.
it was that freaking easy.

I was intending to have a feature for a vanilla mod with custom Icon Of Sin textures that differed depending upon which of the included DeHackEd files were loaded, like how people sometimes do with custom sprites. Looking through DeHackEd's strings list, I didn't see the texture names listed anywhere. I'm assuming this means I can't call textures with alternate names.

If that's the case, is there any alternative? The only one I can think of is creating separate WAD files with each containing different IOS texture sets, which to me sounds a little clunky and needlessly complicated. 

Edited by Domestic-Weirdo : Clarity, spelling.

2 quick questions:

1. In the PLAYPAL - the red palettes are indexed from 2 to 9 (8 palettes in total), but from some tests I did - I only seem to notice 7 palette changes. Is one of the palettes being skipped or is one of the red palettes used for something other than pain states (like an exclusive palette for berserk)?
  2. In DeHackEd (specifically with MBF21 HUD weapon sprites) - on a frame with an action (ammo consumption, bullet firing, refire checks, etc.), is it okay to set the frame duration to 0, or will it cause problems? Example: all weapon frames have a duration of 1, as well as an action, with the only 0 duration exceptions being 3 frames that contain the "Light0",  "Light1" and  "Light2" actions - which are separated from each other by frames with sprite durations of 1.

2 hours ago, Ar_e_en said:

In the PLAYPAL - the red palettes are indexed from 2 to 9 (8 palettes in total), but from some tests I did - I only seem to notice 7 palette changes. Is one of the palettes being skipped or is one of the red palettes used for something other than pain states (like an exclusive palette for berserk)?

One of them is unused (PLAYPAL on DoomWiki).

2 hours ago, Ar_e_en said:

In DeHackEd (specifically with MBF21 HUD weapon sprites) - on a frame with an action (ammo consumption, bullet firing, refire checks, etc.), is it okay to set the frame duration to 0, or will it cause problems? Example: all weapon frames have a duration of 1, as well as an action, with the only 0 duration exceptions being 3 frames that contain the "Light0",  "Light1" and  "Light2" actions - which are separated from each other by frames with sprite durations of 1.

Frame duration can be set to 0. This is very commonly used to assign multiple actions to the same frame. Making a 0-tic frame loop might cause problems though, but in your case it's all good.

Another stupid DeHackEd question:

Do I even need to use "Light0" to reset the light levels back to normal? "Light0" seems to only be used once in unmodified DOOM, and yet it seems to deal alright with all the weapon light level resets (I did an experiment where I changed the one instance of "Light0" to "NULL", it made all the weapons bug out between "Light1" and "Light2"). If I keep that solitary "Light0" action unmodified and only worry about "Light1" and "Light2" - will my modified weapons work fine without screwing up the light changes?

@Ar_e_en

The one instance of Light0 you are referring to is frame 1, which is used by all weapons (that alter the light level) as the last frame of their muzzle flash animation. If you set muzzle flash states for your weapons, they should always end in frame 1. If you use Light1 and/or Light2 outside the muzzle flash animation, you need to make sure to call Light0 at some point.

This is mildly embarrassing but I've completely forgotten how to make a custom sky work. I'm using 32in24-15, and I want to use a 512 x 256 (or 240) custom sky texture. I know I've done this before but I can't for the life of me make it work. I've tried a dozen different combinations of renaming the texture, resizing the texture, adding it to TEXTURE1/PNAMES, and the best I can get is this:

doom13.png

Which of course looks totally wrong. The last time I did this I seem to remember I just renamed the texture to SKYZ23 (the default one the texture set defaults to when used as a resource), deleted the original with that name, added it to the patch and texture things and it worked fine. At one point too I had it tiling correctly horizontally but not vertically. A I said the last time I did this a few months ago it worked fine, but this texture set seems to make this otherwise piss-easy part of making a map absolutely painful for some reason and I don't have a clue what I'm doing wrong?

All the info I'm able to find ranges from just replacing RSKY1 in the absence of other custom textures, to making a vanilla compatible long skies or skyboxes for GZDoom. Could someone explain changing the default MAP01 sky texture, by adding a new sky to a map using a texture pack that already contains multiple sky textures? 

The only other workaround I can think of is using Boom's sky transfer, which worked but stops me from doing any outdoor teleport ambushes. 

2 hours ago, Aurelius said:

@Ar_e_en

The one instance of Light0 you are referring to is frame 1, which is used by all weapons (that alter the light level) as the last frame of their muzzle flash animation. If you set muzzle flash states for your weapons, they should always end in frame 1. If you use Light1 and/or Light2 outside the muzzle flash animation, you need to make sure to call Light0 at some point.

I feel like I might mess something up with these light effects, like there might be a possibility that when I switch weapons after running out of ammo - I will be stuck with "Light1" before firing my next weapon. Would it be a smart idea to add a "Light0" action before the weapon lowering animation as a redundancy check to make sure that the light effects don't carry over? It would be something like this:

Frame 1100 // FRAME 1100 = Light0
duration = 0
Next frame = 1101

Frame 1101 // FRAME 1101 = Lower
duration = 1

@VisionThing

The BOOM method is probably the easy option here. For the Vanilla/Limit-Removing option - maybe modify (without deleting) the original "SKY1" entry from "TEXTURE1"?

10 hours ago, Ar_e_en said:

I feel like I might mess something up with these light effects, like there might be a possibility that when I switch weapons after running out of ammo - I will be stuck with "Light1" before firing my next weapon. Would it be a smart idea to add a "Light0" action before the weapon lowering animation as a redundancy check to make sure that the light effects don't carry over? It would be something like this:

You could do it, but again, if you use a muzzle flash state for a weapon, you only need to make sure it jumps to frame 1 when it's done. If you use Light1/Light2 in the firing sequence itself (and not muzzle flash specifically), you can just put Light0 somewhere at the end. If you're working with vanilla and are low on codepointer frames, I suggest using frame 1 the same way as vanilla Doom does.

Someone on Discord has pointed out something I hadn't even considered: using sky transfer, w/ all the affected areas tagged as 0, it is still possible to have working teleport ambush destinations with their own tags, in an outside area affected by the sky transfer! I'm not sure of why exactly that works, but it does! Without needing to create a matching control sector for the sectors I want the monsters to teleport to.

I should have just done that from the beginning...oh well, live and learn. 

On lundi 22 août 2022 at 11:34 PM, VisionThing said:

This is mildly embarrassing but I've completely forgotten how to make a custom sky work. I'm using 32in24-15, and I want to use a 512 x 256 (or 240) custom sky texture. I know I've done this before but I can't for the life of me make it work. I've tried a dozen different combinations of renaming the texture, resizing the texture, adding it to TEXTURE1/PNAMES, and the best I can get is this:

Split the texture into 256x128 tiles. Make a multipatch sky texture that's 512x256. Add your four tiles with the proper offsets. That should work in Boom and more advanced ports just fine.

I'm getting this error message when I try to load my wad up in glboom:

P_InitPicAnims: bad cycle from FWATER4 to FWATER1

Anyone know anything about this? I do have an animated lump which I copied from the OTEX file and modified.

2 minutes ago, Foodles said:

P_InitPicAnims: bad cycle from FWATER4 to FWATER1

Maybe the order got messed up? Possibly you got FWATER4 and FWATER1 reversed in your definition?

54 minutes ago, ViolentBeetle said:

Maybe the order got messed up? Possibly you got FWATER4 and FWATER1 reversed in your definition?

Yeah I got confused as it asks for the last texture in the first column, although even after reversing it I'm now getting the same sort of error message except this time it's BFALL4 and BFALL1. Here's a screenshot of my ANIMATED lump in Slade:

image.png.caffd7fc8aab3658c871267302bdec02.png

im working on some doom2.exe maps and i found out about umapinfo and my question is i guess obvious one, checking the doomwiki and other places, is it really is 100% compatible with almost all ports right? with the obvious exception being d2.exe of course. and apart from the example on the doomwiki, are there any others i could look at? im still dumb about this, trying to get back into it from ages of not doing anything.

edit - never mind, i just saw the bottom of the doomwiki page with the compatible ports. im dumb, and its late. lol.

Edited by pabloD

My brain is kind of melted, and i cannot seem to make this work quite right.
I got 2 plants, one with berries and one without.
They spawn, but the one without berries seems to be given sprite priority over the the one with berries. ideally the one with berries should vanish when walked over for food. However the one without berries is the only one seen, even if everything else works fine.

As is my style, the answer is likely completely freaking obvious.
HPNTD0.png.a35fbf0df387d5a5efcc9ca6ff244abd.pngHPNTC0.png.940f08216e023ab178be546c315b5a22.png

Spoiler

ACTOR HealthPlantLarge : CustomInventory 11808
{
  Radius 24
  Height 31
  Scale 0.6
  +NOGRAVITY
  -COUNTITEM
  Inventory.PickupMessage "It tastes like copper."
  States
{
    Spawn:
        HPNT C 0
        Goto SpawnUsed
    SpawnUsed:
        HPNT C 1 A_SpawnItemEx("HealthPlantLargeUsed", 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, SXF_NOCHECKPOSITION)
        HPNT C -1
        Stop
    DontSpawn:
        TNT1 A 0
        Goto SpawnUSed+1
    Pickup:
        TNT1 A 0 A_JumpIf(Health > 199, "DontSpawn")
        TNT1 A 0 A_GiveInventory("IncreaseHealth", 20, 0)
        STOP
    }
}

ACTOR HealthPlantLargeUsed 11809
{
  Radius 5
  Height 5
  Scale 0.6
  +NOINTERACTION
  +NOTONAUTOMAP
  States
    {
    Spawn:
        HPNT D -1
        Loop
    }
}

I haven't been doing much editing for a while, so I started up UDB and downloaded the required update. When I try and load the previous map I was working on, I get the following warning message:

Warning: a resource archive is required for this game configuration, but not present: "gzdoom.pk3"

Without it, UDB will have severely limited capabilities.

The format of the map was GZDoom: Doom 2 (Doom format), and it is using some GZDoom specific line actions. So I can kinda see why it might want that included, but I've never needed to include that before. I just want some clarification on what this message means.

On mardi 13 septembre 2022 at 12:13 AM, Desfar said:

They spawn, but the one without berries seems to be given sprite priority over the the one with berries.

Sprite order can actually be changed, so it's not a good idea to depend upon sprite order for appearance.

I'd suggest moving the SpawnItemEx line to the Pickup state sequence. That way, if the berries are picked, an empty plant is spawned to take its place.

52 minutes ago, Stabbey said:

The format of the map was GZDoom: Doom 2 (Doom format), and it is using some GZDoom specific line actions. So I can kinda see why it might want that included, but I've never needed to include that before. I just want some clarification on what this message means.

It means that it expects to have the GZDoom resources available when you make a GZDoom map. It's especially important if you use custom actors (yeah, you can use them regardless of map format) because then UDB will need to have access to the base GZDoom resources to understand new actors correctly.