Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

3 hours ago, Jack9955 said:

How do I fix this? texture repeats itself vertically (visible when using lifts)

image.png.763b4e97de5f650fad668e2f68d4a7cb.png

Any time you have to use a switch texture in a tall sector you can use an inset sector

xFMTl2J.png

or, if you were using GZDoom, a 3D sector

iDZtrAJ.png

Edited by Kappes Buur

What is an inset sector? can you print it in doom builder? (I'm using vanilla if that helps)

Inset is not a particular thing, it's a description. They showed you explicitly what that is in the screenshots.

3 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Inset is not a particular thing, it's a description. They showed you explicitly what that is in the screenshots.

Ah, I only noticed now. Sorry.

I am making a fake floor for my vanilla wad, when the player crosses a linedef, the floor raises and the player is suddenly ambushed. However, I can see very minimal details from the fake floor before crossing the linedef (Look at the left of the shotgun, there's a dot)

Is this normal? Will the player notice this?

image.png.298d126555d1f439efcfd59e78c3abc8.png

31 minutes ago, Jack9955 said:

However, I can see very minimal details from the fake floor

Three ways to fix the problem:
1) Make sure that the walls of the fake floor pit don't have any textures on them
2) Make sure the fake floor pit is deep enough that the player doesn't see the bottom before tripping the ambush

3) Move the linedef back so the player is further away from the fake floor when it triggers

If none of these work, you might have a slime trail problem

How do I add 2 special actions to a single sector? I want to make FLAT22 flicker and also hurt the player, like he is getting electrocuted.

On 6/4/2023 at 4:33 PM, Jack9955 said:

How do I add 2 special actions to a single sector? I want to make FLAT22 flicker and also hurt the player, like he is getting electrocuted.

The flat used for the floor texture is irrelevant to special effects.

Vanilla has one effect - type 4 which deals 20% damage and the light flickers. That's the only option for vanilla which combines two effects. If you want something else, you're out of luck.

20% damage and the light flickers

Well, that's exactly what I want, thank you.

image.png?width=572&height=376

Accidentally typed "1-d" instead of "1" for this linedef's tag and no matter what I do I cant change it. It still functions but it's indescribably infuriating and sometimes textures will have this same problem (example: I set the upper-front texture, blank out the texture name in the edit menu, press "OK", select it again and it's back).

43 minutes ago, spineapple tea said:

(example: I set the upper-front texture, blank out the texture name in the edit menu, press "OK", select it again and it's back).

The blank texture name is -. If you just erase the entire field, DB interprets that as "no change"; this is from the fact those widgets can also edit several lines/sectors at once.

The steps are too narrow.  Every monster has a certain width that defines an invisible square around it.  The whole square must never be more than 24 units off the ground.  The Pinky is a particularly chunky boi with a width of 60 units, so when they try to take that first step, some of their "width box" would hang over into the next step and end up too high off the ground, causing the movement to fail. 

If you make each step at least 30 units wide, that should give the pinky enough room.

It's not, which is why he isn't going down.

Each of those squares on the wall texture are 64 units, and you've got like 4 steps per square.  Unless you've discovered some kind of new form of math, then they are not 60 units each. 

5 hours ago, Jack9955 said:

It's 60 units wide and he won't go down

It's not about just the width, but the stairs depth as well. 

24ce5d9372dce16e4465055ad96a1be7.jpg

@Jack9955

As stated earlier, the monsters are represented in code by an imaginary box known as a bounding box. This box defines the monster's size.

Basically, for a monster to efficiently go up or down the stairs, two things must be true:

• The monster's bounding box cannot cover a space that has a height difference of 25 units or more in movements performed over a span of time. This is also why faster monsters (such as demons and spectres) can be tricky.
  • The stairs must be at least as wide as the monster's bounding box in the direction you want the monster to traverse them, unless the difference between the two floors separated by the stairs is 24 units or less. For example, a hell knight (bounding box = 48 units), will not traverse stairs that are 40 units wide (moving north-south or east-west), unless the distance between the floors separated by the stairs is no more than 24 units.

For a further, more in-depth explanation, please see this post by Scifista (and other parts of the discussion from almost 6 years ago in this very thread).

Also, the bounding box remains a square oriented along north-south and east-west, even when moving diagonally. Therefore, the apparent size of the monster increases when moving diagonal, meaning that the steps would have to be wider. That hell knight from the first example, if moving diagonally, would require steps that were at least 69 units wide.

Hello,

In Boom's generalized actions, what exactly does the "monster No/yes" for a door do? I hope I'm asking this question in the right thread :)

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, Silhouette 03 said:

Hello,

In Boom's generalized actions, what exactly does the "monster No/yes" for a door do? I hope I'm asking this question in the right thread :)

Monster can open door - Yes/No

30 minutes ago, Hydrus said:

Is it possible to make an area with two ceilings at different heights in vanilla, like you can do with floors?

Basically this:

https://www.doomworld.com/tutorials/fx7.php

but with ceilings instead of floors.

Yes but it's extremely impractical. The concept is that you don't have two ceilings, but you have two sectors, one inside the other at different heights and no lower wall texture.

For the floor version of this, when the renderer eye height is below a floor there's nothing to draw. And when there's no lower texture on the higher floor, there's nothing to cut the adjacent floors from rendering and thus they bleed into the inner sector. This is similar in concept to a self referencing sector.

The inverse of this also works for ceilings but it requires the eye height to be above the lower ceiling. The setup to do this is extremely limiting in structure.

slade 3.2.1 for linux... how do i assign a hot key or easily adjust y offsets. you hold control shift and mouse wheel for x, what about y?

7 minutes ago, aloysiusfreeman said:

Silly question, but when I try to have a door open and it only slightly moves up, whats the common cause for that?

Usually it means you have another adjacent sector to the door that has a ceiling height too low. Doors find the lowest neighbouring height to open to.

Ok, I think technically that was the issue since I created two square sectors side on each end of the door to signal red skull door. I think I resolved it in a strange manner. Tested it and the door works *shrug* 

Thank you for the answer

Lets say I have a map where it loops back to the very beginning, and on the second iteration it triggers two doors to fall down. 

Is there a way to somehow set a line special as dormant until it's triggered, and then on the second loop the line special will then work for triggering the doors to fall?

6 hours ago, aloysiusfreeman said:

Is there a way to somehow set a line special as dormant until it's triggered, and then on the second loop the line special will then work for triggering the doors to fall?

Yes, depending on your target source port.

If you're mapping for Boom / MBF / etc you can use Voodoo Dolls to achieve this:

• Set up voodoo closet with 2 movement blocking sectors.
    • Blocking sector 1 is lowered by an action the player performs in the first loop, preferably as late into the loop as possible to prevent backtracking also opening the doors
    • Blocking sector 2 is lowered in the middle of the map as indicated, but the action that lowers it is a lift action, so it will rise back up - making this a re-triggerable voodoo doll essentially.

See the following WAD example: second-loop-demonstration.zip

If you're mapping for (G)ZDoom ports, you can use ACS to achieve similar; I'll explain this if you indicate that's the preferred method 😅