Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

DooM_RO said:

Right. My intermission text is fine in Zdoom but it doesn't have enough space in PrBoom+. Is there any way to fix this or change the font of the intermission text?

Not really, you should just fine-tune the text to fit onto the screen when using the lowest screen resolution (character size depends on screen resolution, so this should guarantee that the text will fit onto screen in every higher screen resolution too), and use "\n" (newline) characters to properly add new lines.

scifista42 said:

Not really, you should just fine-tune the text to fit onto the screen when using the lowest screen resolution (character size depends on screen resolution, so this should guarantee that the text will fit onto screen in every higher screen resolution too), and use "\n" (newline) characters to properly add new lines.

Thank you!

One more thing before my map is fully compatible in PrBoom+.

I put a few "railings" made of MIDGRATE textures by putting the same texture on the Front and Back Side of the Linedef. It works fine in Zdoom but for some reason it clips through the floor in PrBoom+. Any way to fix this?

Change either floor height or sector brighness on one side of the linedef, at least by one unit. I also guess you mean GZDoom rather than ZDoom, as this is an OpenGL-vs-software renderer thing.

scifista42 said:

Change either floor height or sector brighness on one side of the linedef, at least by one unit. I also guess you mean GZDoom rather than ZDoom, as this is an OpenGL-vs-software renderer thing.

THANK YOU! You have been very helpful, you're getting a spot in the credits!

Gez said:

Sure. Read up on inventory property and then make your custom key an item with an Inventory.MaxAmount of 1 or whatever number you want.

Yeah, you will have to replace the standard keys with custom types to do that. And your custom keys cannot be derived from the normal "key" base class, as well.

Ok I think I made a new key item but for some reason I can't get the key removed after it has been used (by using the "takeinventory").

decorate:

Actor OneUseYellowCard : Inventory 258
{
//$Category Keys

+DONTGIB
  Inventory.Amount 1
  Inventory.PickupMessage "You picked up a yellow keycard."
  Inventory.Icon "STKEYS1"
  Inventory.MaxAmount 100
  SpawnID 258
  Radius 20
  Height 16
  States
  {
  Spawn:
    YKEY A 10
    YKEY B 10 Bright
    Loop
  }
}

I also have a problem with the pickupmessage not showing up and gzdoom builder complains

DECORATE warning in "canyon.wad\DECORATE:19", line 60. Unable to find "Inventory" class to inherit from, while parsing "OneUseYellowCard:258".

wad in question
https://www.mediafire.com/?2ym1m78pit9gysb

illuknisaa said:

Ok I think I made a new key item but for some reason I can't get the key removed after it has been used (by using the "takeinventory").

When I wanted new keys, I just recoloured an existing one and inherited from that existing one, for example:

Spoiler

[edit] deleted link to map

I just finished this map, however I am having a problem with these two doorways that I can't seem to fix. Firstly all hitscan projectiles get blocked by invisible lines of some sort, and enemies outside cannot see the player. However any other kind of projectile makes it through fine and enemies and the player can also walk through it.

And ideas?

Spoiler

illuknisaa said:

TakeInventory("OneUseYellowCard",1);

Crunchynut44 said:

I just finished this map, however I am having a problem with these two doorways that I can't seem to fix. Firstly all hitscan projectiles get blocked by invisible lines of some sort, and enemies outside cannot see the player. However any other kind of projectile makes it through fine and enemies and the player can also walk through it.

And ideas?

Rebuild the map's nodes in a different node builder.

Kappes Buur said:

When I wanted new keys, I just recoloured an existing one and inherited from that existing one, for example:

Reason why I didn't want to use the key class is

Keys use some of the basic Inventory properties but it is impossible to carry more than one of each key at any time. Therefore the amount settings don't have any function.

http://zdoom.org/wiki/Classes:Key

If you pick up more than one of the same key they don't get counted as multiple keys. When you call "takeinventory" your only key gets removed.

@scifista42
TakeInventory("OneUseYellowCard",1); worked, ty.

Is there a method to activate a script based on an actor taking damage? So if I shoot a particular Imp, a health script enables. I would love this, as I would like one that bounces from actor to actor based on who you harmed last.

Chezza said:

Is there a method to activate a script based on an actor taking damage? So if I shoot a particular Imp, a health script enables.

Not sure if I understand right. Do you want a script to be activated when a particular monster is shot but not killed? When you say "health script", would it spawn a health pickup, directly heal the player, or heal the monster that was shot?

Chezza said:

I would love this, as I would like one that bounces from actor to actor based on who you harmed last.

I'm completely lost about what's supposed to "bounce from actor to actor".

scifista42 said:

Not sure if I understand right. Do you want a script to be activated when a particular monster is shot but not killed? When you say "health script", would it spawn a health pickup, directly heal the player, or heal the monster that was shot?
I'm completely lost about what's supposed to "bounce from actor to actor".

I think he's asking which one was shot or hit last, not an "on death" script.

By bounce around he's just saying it'd be cool if an event would happen when the actor is shot and whoever was shot last has the script effect them... I don't think this is his specific situation though

AwesomeO-789 is on the right track.

Essentially I want a health bar to show when I'm shooting a monster, the same as Boss fights. It would be enabled via dealing damage to the target. And if I choose to shoot a different monster I would like the health bar to refer to the latest monster I harmed. This is what I mean about bouncing (sorry, not literally).

I have a level where the player fights two Boss units simultaneously with their health shown on the player's hud. Unfortunately only one Health Bar can show at a time (or so I think). So I'm hoping there is a method to swap who's health I'm seeing based on who I'm currently harming.

If there is a way to get both Monster's health showing on the hud then I will be happy with that too.

It is possible to have more than one health bar at a time, but only for bosses, afaik. Check out iu-part5. MAP31 (or is it MAP32?) has 4 bosses that you fight at once.

Also, play it because it is a great wad.

Chezza said:

Essentially I want a health bar to show when I'm shooting a monster, the same as Boss fights. It would be enabled via dealing damage to the target. And if I choose to shoot a different monster I would like the health bar to refer to the latest monster I harmed.

Check out Action Doom 2's source files, perhaps there's some clues there. It has that exact 'bouncing health bar' mechanic present for every single enemy within the mod. I imagine it might be very elaborate though.

The other solution is one I implemented in Skulldash, where the healthbar accounts for both enemies' health added together, which is a much simpler solution and one I haven't received any negative feedback about.

Can I make a seperate .pk3 from my .wad and merge them somehow? So the two files become one. I know one uses directories and the other uses markers, so I'm not sure. I would like my mod to be one file if possible, but I don't want to make the weapons exclusive to the wad. The reason I want to do this is so that I could use the weapons in a different mod if I wanted to.

Empyre said:

It is possible to have more than one health bar at a time, but only for bosses, afaik. Check out iu-part5. MAP31 (or is it MAP32?) has 4 bosses that you fight at once.

Also, play it because it is a great wad.

I followed this route. It works! Although I would prefer health bars over numbers I can't complain, at least the player will know he is dealing separate damage to both Bosses.

illuknisaa said:

Yes.

This thread is about helping others. Sure, you answered the question asked, but it is very obvious that 129thVisplane was asking "if so, how?".

Is it possible to script an event where a 3D slope falls, the floor raise, changes textures and it plays two sounds (one of the floor falling and one when it hits the ground).

With non-sloped?

I've spent way to much time analyzing the code from Winter's Fury (INTROMAP) for an idea of how the Camera and Interpolation works so my head is a little scripted out at the moment. I'm not asking for a code. I can kind of see how it'd work. Probably using ACS to raise the floor seems simple enough. The player shouldn't actually see it hit the ground, so it should work. I've created a 3D slope with a "chunk" that's been ripped out, but I would like it to have a little more interactivity.

I'm just curious if it's possible. I'm skeptical because I don't know how flags/actions work with 3D objects.

Yes, it is possible, by applying the respective moving/changing actions onto the 3D floor's control sector.

scifista42 said:

Yes, it is possible, by applying the respective moving/changing actions onto the 3D floor's control sector.

That's the same as the dummy sector?

My question about joined sectors, hopefully a simple one. How to un-join a sector, making it singular again? I've been running line defs around sectors I want to stand alone up until now, but its timing consuming if there are loads of vectors.

MistAche said:

My question about joined sectors, hopefully a simple one. How to un-join a sector, making it singular again? I've been running line defs around sectors I want to stand alone up until now, but its timing consuming if there are loads of vectors.

If you're using GZDoom Builder, hit M to go into "make sectors" mode, then left click whatever part you want to split up

everennui said:

That's the same as the dummy sector?

Yes, I mean the (usually "dummy") sector in which the linedef with "Sector 3D floor" action is placed.