Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

I made a 3d floor but it isn't affected by any of the light values of upper ceilings in game. In editor it looks fine.

I've set 3d floors type as "swimmable" (2) and set it to have "fade effect (no view blend)"-flag(512)
pic:

Spoiler

[img]

[/img]

I'm using latest gzdoom. Just to be clear the nukage is the 3d floor I have problems with.

What happens when you lower the 3D floor's control sector's brightness? Or, aren't you using any custom ANIMDEFS or TERRAIN that make nukage fullbright?

I have a question about 5.1 audio, for example I want to create a horror soundscape with lots of distorted and grunge type sounds. I also want to mix it into 5.1 rather than stereo, does Z-Doom allow 5.1? The only problem I foresee would be that Z-Doom would have to downmix to a stereo output for most people, but since it's more of a personal project I was wondering if it's possible.

Thanks

Going to be honest with you on this one Crunchy, this question is very much a 'try it for yourself and find out.' question. Make a very basic audio file thatshould act as a 5.1 sound test, or hell, download a 5.1 sound test audio clip, then add it to your project and see if it plays out as expected.

This question is going to be absolutely ridiculous...

Does anybody know where I can find doom-compatible sprites for *rubber duckies* so they can be used as a monster?

...don't ask :P

Maybe you could recolor (and slightly edit) one of these or these, but they only have 4 rotations. (Desperate, I know, I couldn't find anything better.)

My question is:

WHY won't my Brutal Doom WAD display a custom monster I have made?

I added him in the DECORATE.txt, where it says #include.

I go to DOOM E1M1, bring up the console, and try to summon him. The kicker is that he DOES summon, but is totally invisible. However, I can feel him bumping off of me as he pursues me, etc.

It seems to be a problem with my custom sprites for the guy . . . any advice?

1. Brutal Doom may be interfering, I don't know.
2. Can you show your DECORATE for the actor please?
3. Have you checked that your sprites are part of the wad/pk3, and are correctly named as per the sprite names used in the DECORATE code?

Dragonfly said:

2. Can you show your DECORATE for the actor please?

I'd like to but I'm at work right now so I don't have access to it. I'll post it later on.

Relating to your other questions, I think I have it all correct. My monster has a folder in the sprites directory and the 4-letter name matches up with what is listed in his .txt.

How can I make the short red firestick passable? It's blocking projectiles. If this were some custom sprite it'd be easy - I'd just look in the decorate file, but I can't find the decorate file for the DOOM2.wad. What do I do? Am I just not seeing it?

I am not certain this works as I'm not able to test it.

ACTOR RedTorchNonSolid : RedTorch replaces RedTorch
{
  -SOLID
}
What I'm doing here is making a new RedTorch actor, that inherits the properties of the old RedTorch actor, and simply removing the solid flag. If that doesn't work, try the below.
Spoiler

{
  Radius 16
  Height 68
  ProjectilePassHeight -16
  -SOLID
  States
  {
  Spawn:
    TRED ABCD 4 Bright
    Loop
  }
}

I used the DECORATE reference for the Red Torch to advise you, I suggest you take a look on the ZDoom Wiki more as it can really help you!

Here's the DECORATE Reference for the red torch.

If all you want is to make them not block projectiles, but still block players and monsters, set compat_missileclip to true in the MAPINFO for your map.

Gez said:

If all you want is to make them not block projectiles, but still block players and monsters, set compat_missileclip to true in the MAPINFO for your map.

I've read the zdoom and doom wiki on the subject of MAPINFO, but I'm not sure how to implement it. Do I create a new entry in Slade3 or is it already supposed to be there? I've searched by filter and arranged everything alphabetically and can not find it.

Okay... so it looks like I have to add it. Back-up saved.

What should I search for? I get a bunch of stuff when I search MAPINFO in the forums.

Addendum: When I look at my everything in Slade3 I see a lot of DECORATE files. Could I consolidate them all in to one if I wanted to?

If your wad doesn't yet contain a MAPINFO lump, make one.

Yes, you can consolidate DECORATE lumps into one.

Gez said:

Wouldn't this still allow projectiles to hit the firestick, just prevent the infinitely tall aspect? The question was to make projectiles pass through the stick. Do correct me if I'm wrong though!

Dragonfly said:

Wouldn't this still allow projectiles to hit the firestick, just prevent the infinitely tall aspect? The question was to make projectiles pass through the stick. Do correct me if I'm wrong though!

It'll make it work basically like vanilla. Missiles can still collide on the firestick, but only if they fly close enough to the ground to hit its base (the prop's height, as far as the projectile is concerned, being merely 16 units). You can contrive a map to make that happen, but it'll generally look like the projectile hit the ground or a wall instead of the stick.

If you combine with the infinitely tall actor options, it'll work exactly like vanilla.

All that "compat_missileclip" does is to make projectiles be unaffected by the thing's Height and instead be affected by its ProjectilePassHeight during collision detection, but only if the thing's ProjectilePassHeight is defined and has a negative value.

Thanks Dragonfly, Gez and Scifista42.

I tried including both of the codes that Dragonfly suggested in a Decorate file, but the fire stick still blocks fireballs. When I created a MAPINFO I got the following.

"Execution could not continue.

Script error, "castle2.wad:MAPINFO" line 1:
ACTOR: Unknown top level keyword"

I tried moving MAPINFO to just above the first map and it still gives me that crash even though MAPINFO is now at around line 100 or so.

What is the name for this process? I can't search for anything because I don't know what to type.

Edit: okay... so I get that "ACTOR" isn't a keyword for MAPINFO (right?).

Yes, it was DECORATE.

EDIT: When I said this:

scifista42 said:

If your wad doesn't yet contain a MAPINFO lump, make one.

Yes, you can consolidate DECORATE lumps into one.

I DIDN'T mean it like "you can consolidate DECORATE lumps into MAPINFO"!!! The two sentences in my post were 2 separate answers to your 2 separate questions. The second sentence means "you can consolidate multiple DECORATE lumps into one DECORATE lump".

scifista42 said:

Yes, it was DECORATE.

EDIT: When I said this:
I DIDN'T mean it like "you can consolidate DECORATE lumps into MAPINFO"!!! The two sentences in my post were 2 separate answers to your 2 separate questions. The second sentence means "you can consolidate multiple DECORATE lumps into one DECORATE lump".

Check.

Should that DECORATE script that Dragonfly wrote work for me? (Since it has the clip height?)

Edit: I think I know what I did wrong.

Spoiler

{
  Radius 16
  Height 68
  ProjectilePassHeight -16
  -SOLID
  States
  {
  Spawn:
    TRED ABCD 4 Bright
    Loop
  }
}

This creates a new Decoration... so I need to give this a number from 15000 to ? and use it from the decorate in gzdoombuilder instead of using... or wait... since this replaces it... I shouldn't have to, right? ...or does it replace it completely... so RedTorch doesn't exist?

Got it to work.
I created a new MAPINFO lump and put it at the top. (I don't know if that's important. It doesn't seem to be (I just moved it down one.))
map MAP01 "Caves"  
{
compat_missileclip "no"
ProjectilePassHeight = -100
}
Several edits later: That's pretty awesome. Now I know how to name my maps. I looked at the MAPINFO for Winter's Fury and noticed some other pretty cool things too. Thanks a lot guys!

MAPINFO is a beautiful thing when used right, along with other info lumps. Glad you got a solution to work for you.

Your "Teleport Destination" thing has a "Multiplayer" flag, which is in fact a "Multiplayer only" flag, so that the thing would only be spawned in multiplayer, not in singleplayer, and therefore it doesn't exist in the game in singleplayer.

Shortcut type question but,

Is there a particular way to stay on a drawing tool while using it?

It's a little annoying to have to press Ctrl+Shift+D every single time I want to draw another rectangle for a staircase.