Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

"Don't include unmodified sprites or graphics from the id games. They're not needed with the newer source ports, so don't do it."

Can someone explain this to me? (I always just copy paste vanilla textures directly into my wads)

A2Rob said:

I always just copy paste vanilla textures directly into my wads

Don't do that. They're already in the IWAD. When a player plays a PWAD, he actually plays an IWAD with some of its content overriden by the PWAD. Reincluding IWAD content into a PWAD is therefore unnecessary, as it would do nothing but override a copy of itself. A PWAD should only contain custom content. What's more, since IWADs are commercial products, it is illegal to distribute their content, therefore it is illegal to put their content into PWADs that you distribute.

scifista42 said:

Don't do that. They're already in the IWAD. When a player plays a PWAD, he actually plays an IWAD with some of its content overriden by the PWAD. Reincluding IWAD content into a PWAD is therefore unnecessary, as it would do nothing but override a copy of itself. A PWAD should only contain custom content. What's more, since IWADs are commercial products, it is illegal to distribute their content.

So what about Doom 1 or Final Doom textures? Those don't show up if I test them in a sourceport. And for PrBoom, certain Doom 2 textures won't appear either if I don't import them into the wad itself.

Reincluding textures from other IWADs than the one that the PWAD is for, might indeed be necessary* to use those textures in that PWAD, and has always been tolerated on /idgames, though just on the basis that nobody cares rather than that it's officially approved. But Doom 2 graphics don't need to be reincluded in a Doom 2 PWAD to be usable.

*With specially made TEXTURE1 and PNAMES lumps in the PWAD, and if the player loads the IWAD with other IWADs as PWADs, then once more the same IWAD as a PWAD, and finally the actual PWAD as a PWAD, it is possible for the PWAD to use textures from all IWADs without reincluding any. This isn't commonly being done due to being quite obscure, though.

There are texture conflicts between the games, so renaming some textures can be needed.

For example, 50 Shades of GRAYTALL in Plutonia will not look like intended.

Ok, so I realized I didn't actually use any Doom 2 textures in the wad, everything needed was already in the TEXTURE lump. I did, however, have some Doom 1 and TNT textures imported into the wad. Would that be cause for rejection?

A2Rob said:

"Don't include unmodified sprites or graphics from the id games. They're not needed with the newer source ports, so don't do it."

Can someone explain this to me? (I always just copy paste vanilla textures directly into my wads)

There is no need to include the actual graphics from the IWAD in your PWAD if they are unchanged, as in all cases these will be referenced just fine from the IWAD.

For texture definitions and PNAMES it depends on the port being targeted; advanced ports will read all the TEXTURE and PNAMES lumps cumulatively (and thus only needs to have TEXTURE1 contain those textures which are new or changed) but vanilla (also limit-removing, since that doesn't guarantee additional advanced port features) needs to have all used textures defined and patches listed in the PWAD as it will only use the lumps from that one WAD (https://zdoom.org/wiki/TEXTUREx).

alright I think I got it, thanks

edit: I think it was mainly when I was copy pasting textures from the ultimate doom's TEXTURE lump, which contained textures that were also in doom 2, which would then be copied into the pwad. dumb me

Not exactly an editing question, but for those who've uploaded to /idgames, how long is the expected wait time to get any kind of feedback on whether that went through or not? I've read there's supposed to be a confirmation email but how long does that usually take?

Edit: Got rejected because I made a .rar instead of a .zip. Disregard this, I cook socks.

Spectre01 said:

I've read there's supposed to be a confirmation email

You are supposed to send a confirmation email to prove that the file was uploaded by you, before it can be accepted. You don't receive any confirmation email about whether your file was accepted or rejected. You find it out by seeing your file in either the "LAST X DAYS" log or the "REJECTED" log. It will usually appear there within less than a week since your upload and confirmation.

Any equivalent to A_SpawnItemEX via ACS ?, I want to perform an inventory check before spawning an effect that follows the player, JumpIfInventory doesn't work right with the "Spawn" and "See" states, I tried doing this:

str sfx = "Shield";
     int x = GetActorX(0);
     int y = GetActorY(0);
     int z = GetActorZ(0);
     int angle = GetActorAngle(0) >> 8;

Spawn(sfx, x, y, z, 0, angle);
   delay(1);
restart;
but it looked ugly and didn't track player movement as good as SpawnItemEX.

Can someone tell me what I did wrong here? It works (with some decorate errors), but I can't use Smooth Doom with it.

ACTOR DoomImp2 : DoomImp replaces DoomImp
{
	DropItem "HealthBonus"
}
I'm trying to replace the DoomImp with a custom Imp which only changes one thing. (DropItem).

I can see why this doesn't work in Smooth Doom (now). Smooth Doom isn't looking for DoomImp2.

Is it possible to change the states, add things and otherwise modify DoomImp without changing the name?

I used this to try and understand it.
https://zdoom.org/wiki/New_User's_Guide_to_editing_with_DECORATE

everennui said:

Is it possible to change the states, add things and otherwise modify DoomImp without changing the name?

Only with DEHACKED.

Do note that if you want to use this in conjunction with Smooth Doom, then what you should do is base your DoomImp2 off of Smooth Doom's imp, rather than the standard DoomImp. That way you'll get your dropitem change with the Smooth Doom behavior. And yes that means you'll have to open Smooth Doom to see how it called its imp replacement.

Thank you very much, @Gez.

I have another question if someone could help.

I have a switch that turns off some slime and a couple fountains....

Spoiler

script 1 (void) //Lower Toxic Sludge
{
	FloorAndCeiling_LowerByValue (9, 6, 128);
	ReplaceTextures ("SFALL1", "NONE");
	SetActorProperty (137, APROP_RenderStyle, STYLE_None);
}

When the script is executed I get an error that says, "NONE" is not a texture. It works except for one part of it. It stumps me. Is "NONE" valid?

everennui said:

When the script is executed I get an error that says, "NONE" is not a texture. It works except for one part of it. It stumps me. Is "NONE" valid?

No. If you want to remove the texture, the simplest is to replace them with a dash:

ReplaceTextures ("SFALL1", "-");
Make sure that texture is only used on two-sided midtextures, though.

Is there a setting in GZDB that stops it from pasting some random texture on the walls of new sectors? I'd rather have them clear than see SUPPORT3 in random places.

Byeblothingal 1024 said:

Would anyone know how to be able to put the "Rage" rune from doom2 "skulltag" into the game "Heretic"? I haven't been able to figure it out.

The rage rune isn't from Doom II, it's from Skulltag. So play Heretic in Skulltag and you'll have a rage rune available.

What you might need to do: provide sprites in the Heretic palette, or in palette-independent PNG form. If the rune doesn't have an editor number in Heretic mode, give it one. Something like a simple DECORATE file with Actor RageRuneSpawner : RandomSpawner 1337 { DropItem "RageRune" } should be enough, replace 1337 by whatever editor number you want to use, and check that the rage rune is really called RageRune (I have no idea and don't feel like checking).

Gez said:

The rage rune isn't from Doom II, it's from Skulltag. So play Heretic in Skulltag and you'll have a rage rune available.

What you might need to do: provide sprites in the Heretic palette, or in palette-independent PNG form. If the rune doesn't have an editor number in Heretic mode, give it one. Something like a simple DECORATE file with Actor RageRuneSpawner : RandomSpawner 1337 { DropItem "RageRune" } should be enough, replace 1337 by whatever editor number you want to use, and check that the rage rune is really called RageRune (I have no idea and don't feel like checking).

Yea I know, thats why I put "skulltag" in quote marks. I already tried that & it came up as an unknown ID number.
I also opened Skulltag in Slade 3 & looked for a decorate on it or something but all I could find is the rage rune image. I have no idea how to write my own decorate from scratch. But ill try what you said. So its;
1. RageRuneSpawner : RandomSpawner 1337
{
DropItem "RageRune"
}
For some reason the rage rune only is identified in doom & doom2 mapping (so far) ill try what you said, thank you.

Byeblothingal 1024 said:

I also opened Skulltag in Slade 3 & looked for a decorate on it or something but all I could find is the rage rune image. I have no idea how to write my own decorate from scratch.

Did you look in skulltag_actors.pk3? That's where the DECORATE would be, not skulltag_data.pk3. Skulltag_data was made for Skulltag, which had the definitions of the actors built into the exe, but Zandronum moved those definitions out of the exe and into skulltag_actors.

If you want to use a rage rune in your wad (or pk3), you have to load skulltag_actors loaded first, then skulltag_data, and then your wad (or pk3), OR include the rage rune DECORATE and associated sprites and sounds into your wad (or pk3).

Empyre said:

Did you look in skulltag_actors.pk3? That's where the DECORATE would be, not skulltag_data.pk3. Skulltag_data was made for Skulltag, which had the definitions of the actors built into the exe, but Zandronum moved those definitions out of the exe and into skulltag_actors.

If you want to use a rage rune in your wad (or pk3), you have to load skulltag_actors loaded first, then skulltag_data, and then your wad (or pk3), OR include the rage rune DECORATE and associated sprites and sounds into your wad (or pk3).

No I didn't but I will look there if I can find that file. I looked in the exe file for all the map images, sprite images, info & scripts. Thank you so much for the info.

Cacodemon9000 said:

Does BEX support renaming sprites/sounds like Dehacked?

I don't think you're able to use the new string system to do it (I don't see anything about that in boomdeh.txt), but in the worst case you can use the old string replacement system from basic dehacked to replace the sprite names.

How do i make sector to not show up in automap? i tried "hide in automap" sector action but didnĀ“t work.

Mr. Trotl said:

How do i make sector to not show up in automap? i tried "hide in automap" sector action but didnĀ“t work.

Check the Hidden flag on the lines of that sector.