Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

3 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

-I might also need advice on what program to use in case I want to design a sprite from scratch.

There are many, many ways of working on sprites and it's somewhat unlikely you'll be able to do it 'well' from the start. That doesn't mean 'don't try', in fact far from it, it just means it will be hard initially.

Many people use tools such as GIMP/Photoshop for the majority of their sprite work (Hell, I'd probably use MSPaint (XP) since that's actually decent for pixel art), but some like to make 3D models first, take screenshots and then tidy them up in their image editor of choice.

Watch videos and timelapses on youtube of other people's sprite work, you can learn a lot from other people's work!

I want to make a line turn from Line_Horizon to a line with no special action in UDMF. How would I do that?

~~EDIT~~

Fixed.

Edited by CrimCuttle

37 minutes ago, CrimCuttle said:

I want to make a line turn from Line_Horizon to a line with no special action in UDMF. How would I do that?

Since one cannot act on the Line_Horizon line directly I would do something like this:

Spoiler

XB9yjPi.jpg

create a thin sector in front of the horizon and activate a Floor_Raise script to block the horizon

Spoiler

SYLdL2l.jpg

Spoiler

12 hours ago, Kappes Buur said:

Since one cannot act on the Line_Horizon line directly I would do something like this:

Hide contents

XB9yjPi.jpg

create a thin sector in front of the horizon and activate a Floor_Raise script to block the horizon

Hide contents

SYLdL2l.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

If I understand correctly, this would block the Line_Horizon with a wall. My issue is, there's a sector behind the Line_Horizon that I want to be revealed.

I am afraid that the closest you can do is have the sky visible, but not line_horizon, until the blocking "wall" is opened.

Maybe it would be good enough if you use skyviewpoint and skypicker to create a custom sky box, and use line_horizon in that sky box.

At map startup, create the line as a portal via Line_SetPortal, then later at map runtime, use Line_SetPortalTarget to redirect it to a different place.

9 minutes ago, CrimCuttle said:

I think I found a solution that works pretty well already.

Thanks for the help, though!

What's the solution?

Script 1 (void) {
    SetLineSpecial (1, 0);
}

Set the tag of the line directly via UDMF or using Line_SetIdentification in Hexen format maps.

You may want to do extra stuff such as have the line impassible, then remove the impassible flag using Line_SetBlocking.

Here's a demo wad, which also features the clearing of the impassible flag as mentioned above.

http://joshuaosullivan.co.uk/misc-doom/horizon-demo.wad

Hey guys. Is it possible to move the boss death 666 function from the Baron to the Cyberdemon in e1m8 via dehacked?

No; but in a roundabout way, you can transform the baron into a cyberdemon with dehacked (just give it the same properties and states as the cyberdemon) and you'll have a "cyberdemon" that can be used to end E1M8. A few things to note though:

1. This cyberdemon will infight with regular cyberdemons

2. This cyberdemon will be vulnerable to splash damage and can very well end up killing itself

3. You won't have a baron anymore

^ I was going to say that then expected to be shot down because of my lack of Dehacked knowledge and how roundabout and convoluted it was of an idea!

Thanks for the detailed answer Gez! Doesn't seem worth the trouble given those drawbacks, especially the lack of usable Barons. I think I'll opt for a switch behind a lowering floor to open the exit.

If you give the Cyberdemon a KeenDie action instead of BossDeath in his death state, then the death of all Cyberdemons in the map will open 666-tagged doors in the map. This will work in any map slot.

It's the same exe. Disabling Doom II stuff in Doom 1 was extra work, so they mostly skipped it. IIRC only the super shotgun and the megasphere are really disabled.

When the vanilla engine plays Doom 1, it disables the following:

1. Ability to manually select a secondary weapon in slot 3 (but it can still be picked up in the map and may get selected automatically, so as long as you don't deselect the weapon, you can use it).

2. Ability to pick up an item with the MEGA sprite (checked by the engine right before giving 200% health and armor to the player, so there's no way around this).

3. Ability of Doom2-specific monsters to spawn at map startup (this can be fooled by editing their Spawn IDs in DEHACKED, though it requires maps to be updated to use the new Spawn IDs on things where you want to spawn the monsters).

Everything else remains accessible and working, including thing types, states, state codepointers, strings, sprite names and every other DEHACKED feature.

I'm trying to edit a Cacodemon so that when it enters its death state it switches to a new sprite.

I have the sprites between S_START and S_END markers name like this:

FREZA0
FREZB0
FREZC0
FREZT0

I've inherited the properties of the Cacodemon, but renamed it, "Cacofreezin"

When I kill the monster it completely disappears. What am I missing?

Code:
  Death:
    FREZ A 8 A_Scream
    FREZ B 2 A_Fall
   Stop

wad:
https://www.mediafire.com/?p4oawsuzvk58o4a

nevermind the shitty map. it's old. lol

This is my first attempt at something like this, so I apologize in advance if it's something simple that I've over looked.

Edited by everennui

1 hour ago, everennui said:

When I kill the monster it completely disappears. What am I missing?

I believe the last death state must be FREZ B -1. Add that just before the stop. -1 stands for "infinite."

No, wad and .pk3 should have no difference on how things work

The problem is, your new sprites are lacking the alignment values. https://zdoom.org/wiki/GrAb

Click that rightmost button on the bottom here, it should do it automatically:

Image1.jpg.8a9a11c41aa70c0c677f76a5706c48c0.jpg

I figured the alignment problem out when I saw how shitty it was. lol. Fixed that.

Looks like ass, but it's a start. This is actually something @Darch and @KVELLER are working on, but I found it a good opportunity to try something new.

I still need to work some kinks out, but I'm excited that I got it working this far.

Addendum: It didn't work for .wad, but when I did a .zip it worked. :/

1 hour ago, everennui said:

Looks like ass, but it's a start. This is actually something @Darch and @KVELLER are working on, but I found it a good opportunity to try something new.

Don't forget about @Eradrop :)

Very nice, But you didn't do it well... I don't know if you used DeHackEd or Decorate.

As you can see at the video, the cacodemon starts to explode at the air first, it's shouldn't work that way.

If you using Decorate, you better do it this way:

Death:
        AAA1 1 => The sprite it's frozed
        Wait

Crash:

AAA2 1 => All the sprites when it's hit the floor and Exploding.

AAA3 1 

AAA4 1 

and all the next sprites...

Cool. Honestly, I haven't even looked at all the states yet. I'm not sure I would have tried crash though. DECORATE is pretty damn interesting, but I haven't had any reason to try to use it until now. I still got a bunch to learn, but I think my base understanding will serve me well if I can find someone willing to take the chance on me. 

5 hours ago, everennui said:

I think my base understanding will serve me well if I can find someone willing to take the chance on me.

Find someone willing to what?

4 hours ago, scifista42 said:

Find someone willing to what?

An artist willing to let a noob (me) use their wonderful artwork. 

I have made an animated sky texture that I want to show, how do I make it a GIF file and uploading to the forums?

I make gifs in GIMP by saving each frame into a separate layer and selecting "write as animation" when saving the file.