*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

5 hours ago, Gez said:

It's not the editor that matters; you can't shoot and nothing blocks you in the editor. Tell which port you're using, because that's what determines what features are available to you.

GZDoom UDMF.

9 hours ago, HyperLuke said:

How to make those fences that block your way but you can shoot and see through? Using GZDoomBuilder

That just the fence as a midtexture and then the impassible flag set. In vanilla and Boom that blocks monsters and the player but always always hitscan and projectiles. In UDMF you get more options. Same setup, but then you can make it block projectiles or hitscan, block monsters only or player only, so and and so forth.

You also can make it a 3D_middle_texture so that it is only blocking on the visible area but it doesn't block movement above the texture.

1 person likes this

Can anyone point me to any guides on how to change the skybox textures in doom 2? I want to use a different skybox (Such as episode 4 of ultimate doom) as the first set of levels (1-11) but i'm pretty new to this stuff, and hte last time I tried I ended up deleting all the textures from my tnt.wad.

Well the simplest is to use a texture editor and redefine the SKY1 texture (you can change which patches it uses).

An even simpler way would be to replace the rsky1 patch. This will work even in vanilla, but it will replace the sky in all the maps of the first chapter, as would Gez's suggestion.

For ports that support it, MAPINFO could do it for you, too.

If you just replace the RSKY1 patch, it won't work in Plutonia or TNT. :p

7 minutes ago, Gez said:

If you just replace the RSKY1 patch, it won't work in Plutonia or TNT. :p

Oh, I didn't know that. I've never mapped for those iwads. Why won't it work?

Got the episode set up figured out thanks.  A lot more simpler than I thought.  Wish I could do a Q1 like system, but Ill just get back to map making for now.

Anyone know the standard for episode length?  My OCD wants 10 levels each!

Edited by Zemini

12 minutes ago, Empyre said:

Oh, I didn't know that. I've never mapped for those iwads. Why won't it work?

Because they're defined differently.

The SKY1 texture in Plutonia is defined from the SKY1 patch; the SKY1 texture in TNT is defined from the DOEDAY, DONDAY, DOWDAY and DOSDAY patches.

Likewise, Plutonia SKY2 is made of SKY2A, SKY2B, SKY2C, and SKY2D; TNT SKY2 is DOENITE, DONNITE, DOWNITE, and DOSNITE; Plutonia SKY3 is SKY3A and SKY3B; TNT SKY3 is DOEHELL, DONHELL, DOWHELL, DOSHELL.

I'm still really insanely new to doom texture editing and such, so sadly its not the easiest thing for me to do. I really dont like the default doom 2 initial sky texture, I really want the orange sky from doom 1 ep 4.

Open your wad in SLADE 3. Click on the texture editor button (blue T in front of bricks). If it asks to create a texture lump, tell it to import from base resource archive (you need to have previously set Doom II as your base resource archive, so do that first if you haven't yet). In the main editor, add the SKY4 patch to your archive, then right click on it and select add to PNAMES.

Then in the texture editor, go to SKY1, select its patch (should be RSKY1) and click on the replace patch button (the one with two horizontal arrows) and choose the SKY4 patch.

1 hour ago, Gez said:

Open your wad in SLADE 3. Click on the texture editor button (blue T in front of bricks). If it asks to create a texture lump, tell it to import from base resource archive (you need to have previously set Doom II as your base resource archive, so do that first if you haven't yet). In the main editor, add the SKY4 patch to your archive, then right click on it and select add to PNAMES.

Then in the texture editor, go to SKY1, select its patch (should be RSKY1) and click on the replace patch button (the one with two horizontal arrows) and choose the SKY4 patch.

Thanks Gez, ill give that a shot!