Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Chezza

Greetings - Working on Megawad, here is a Video

Hello Doom World.

My name is Michael (my mates call me Chezza) and I have been a fan of Doom for... a very long time.

I have recently started working on Doom Mapping and inspired to create a 30 map Megawad. I'm approaching it like a perfectionist too, I want the levels aesthetically appealing with a unique theme in majority of levels with well placed triggers, progressive difficulty and new strategically placed content to keep the game fresh. I push myself to try new things every map I make and so far quite pleased with the results.

I have uploaded a video of one of my completed levels, Map 04 Production Facility:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvTPzFl4px0&list=LLQWaBI_46LioRkoQ68KyhaA

Designed for Brutal Doom V19 Modification
Using a HD Texture Pack
Was given Permission by the author to use his music for the Wad

The campaign will be mostly designed for experienced Doomers however the challenges would mostly come from mini boss fights, environmental hazards, ambushes you can escape from and unique monsters introduced to explore.

I AM STRONGLY AGAINST: spamming the level with 50 Barons of Hell that spawn right next to you (difficult slaughter maps) or grabbing every single piece of new content and meshing it all up into one battle. Where is the appreciation and fun in new content if they are just one with another 100 enemies?

A part of me is looking for constructive criticism and praise for further inspiration and motivation. I hope you guys like what you see in the video.

I have lot of people to credit by the time I'm done!

Looks pretty cool. I like that robot walker, is that from something? How about the green enemy?

Does the wad play well both with and without Brutal Doom? You mention Brutal Doom 1.9, which isn't the current version of that mod. Any reason why it wouldn't play well on the more recent Brutal Doom?

Good luck on your mapping! Doesn't even need to be megawad size either, could release it in a couple parts.

Heya

Most (all the unique enemies you see in this level) custom content is from Realm 667. That site has a nice mix of community assets. Some great, some not so much.

I have played it without Brutal Doom, unfortunately it is only passable. The reason being I introduce the mechanics of crouching and jumping even in the early levels to reward players with additional health, ammo and armor. However at this point, all of the finished levels can be completed without the new mechanics
*EDIT* I have not tested it yet but there should be no reason why it can't run without BD if you use ZDoom. But some fun little triggers won't run as intended.

I did specifically choose an older version of BD due to the bugs of the V20. However once they are ironed out I will begin adjusting the maps for the update.

One of the reasons was the invulnerable Marine bug. In level 2 you enter a room, open a door and hear a Marine and Baron duke it out for a second. As the door very slowly opens to reveal the situation you see the Baron slowly rip the marine in half with its bare hands (a BD feature). It's not possible with V20. Unfortunately even with V19 there is still a small failure rate of the trigger not running as intended. Thing_Hate doesn't seem to work on BD Marines and so if the Marine fails to harm the Baron in time it will not respond in a timely fashion. At other moments the Baron may choose to use its projectile even at close range resulting in a instant kill with no animation (I trigger the Marine to be at 5% health).

Also in level 3, inside the biochemical lab security drones begin eliminating all life. As you open the first door you are introduced in a small skirmish between these drones and enemies (similar to the powerful Walker vs those demons in map 4) which again V20 causes strange behavior. Once I'm happy with the latest build I will adjust to it.

In regards to releasing parts of it. That may be a good idea. There is a long way before the Campaign is complete and I do want to show it off. Maybe every 6 or 12 levels as I intend to include a dedicated Boss fight per Doom 2 "Chapter".

Thanks for the Feedback :)

Chezza said:

Heya

Most (all the unique enemies you see in this level) custom content is from Realm 667. That site has a nice mix of community assets. Some great, some not so much.

I have played it without Brutal Doom, unfortunately it is only passable. The reason being I introduce the mechanics of crouching and jumping even in the early levels to reward players with additional health, ammo and armor. However at this point, all of the finished levels can be completed without the new mechanics.

---

Thanks for the Feedback :)

Right on. For the jumping and crouching thing, that's in Zdoom (I use GZDoom) even without Brutal Doom. I dig Brutal Doom, but being say a "ZDoom/Brutal Doom" wad would enlarge the audience for the mod quite a bit. Even if you had to tweak it for two different versions.

PsychoGoatee said:

Right on. For the jumping and crouching thing, that's in Zdoom (I use GZDoom) even without Brutal Doom. I dig Brutal Doom, but being say a "ZDoom/Brutal Doom" wad would enlarge the audience for the mod quite a bit. Even if you had to tweak it for two different versions.

Oh my, sorry I'm a bit ignorant there. I pretty much discovered Zdoom the same time I discovered Brutal Doom.