Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fonze

Question regarding PM's

I've noticed a strange problem on my new laptop. This is not present on my phone, so it's not a problem on DoomWorld's end; it's with my laptop.

When I hit "send" on a PM, for some reason it always says there's a problem with "retry" and "cancel" as the only options. "Cancel" always just brings up the same pop-up message again, while "retry" attempts to send the message again. That'd be all fine and dandy, but apparently the message never had a problem in the first place. So I always wind up sending 2 messages and seeing the page saying that I can only send one PM every 60 seconds (Thank God for that feature or people would never PM me again >.<).

I know others have Windows 10 out there. Is this a common problem with the new Edge browser? Or could it be something related specifically to my computer?

It might be a server thing since I've had issues on and off with it sitting there and not loading when I hit submit on a post. If it is, I'm not really sure how to troubleshoot it.

I don't Think it's your computer. I have a computer with Windows 10 and Edge, and I'm experiencing the same thing.

Interesting, thanks for the quick response.

I'm not entirely convinced it's that for the PM's though, at least not for what I'm experiencing. As I said, it's never present on my phone, but always present on my laptop. There could also be a problem with the server, but based on the fact that it isn't intermittent I'm more inclined to believe that it's a problem with either my computer or my internet set-up.

I didn't want to take the plunge and download chrome and firefox on this comp yet, but I could give it a shot and see if it is the browser.

*Edit*

Cire said:

I don't Think it's your computer. I have a computer with Windows 10 and Edge, and I'm experiencing the same thing.

Nice, no offense, heh.
So I guess my next step is to test another browser.

Using a browser from MS feels more like "taking the plunge" than using Firefox or Chrome. I figure IE and Edge exist only for downloading other browsers and testing websites/apps against because of all the people who don't download other browsers. Is that Edge thing any good?

Speaking of Edge, I noticed that's the new emulation mode in the developer tools of IE11. The thing I'm working on seems to render identically in every mode back to IE5. I suppose that's a good thing.

Lol Aliotroph, yeah I feel that way about Internet Explorer, for sure.

Edge was supposed to be Microsoft's answer to Firefox and Chrome, since most people alternate between them every couple years, changing over when one gets too bloated and not streamlined enough. So I figured I'd give Edge a shot for a bit.

After a minor troubleshooting session of about 10 seconds, I downloaded Chrome and... guess what, no problems. So apparently it's a problem specifically with Edge. Well, Edge may be going the way of IE soon... but in the meantime, I'd like to figure out what causes it.

*Edit*
It could be related to Edge not forwarding users correctly after the message is sent. After paying more attention to what's going on, it takes me to the "your message is being processed" or whatever page, then experiences a hang up on that next step. I suppose Edge thinks for some reason that it should "refresh" the page instead of the normal forwarding or even a complete lack of a redirection.