Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Green Herring

idgames Maintainer Ty Halderman Passes Away At 69

Late last April, new files stopped appearing on the idgames archive, leading to mounting concern about maintainer Ty Halderman's well-being. The following month, in late May, a visit by a Doomer in Ty's native New Orleans confirmed that he was alive but hospitalized. That same month, Bill Koch (Bloodshedder) and Eric Baker (The Green Herring) were recruited as interim maintainers to keep the idgames archive running. Today on the forums, a close relative confirmed that Ty Halderman died on July 31, surrounded by his family. We have no reason to believe that this information is fabricated.

As maintainer of the most important part of the Doom community, Ty Halderman was the reason over 20 years of custom levels and mods remain available today. As part of TeamTNT, he contributed to TNT: Evilution from the Final Doom package among other WADs, and was one of the main programmers of the source port Boom, which set a new standard for custom level design that remains today. Needless to say, Ty Halderman was not called an "essential pillar of the community" for nothing. For all of this and more, he received the Espi Award for Lifetime Achievement at the Cacowards just last year. The work he did for this community is immeasurable, and his loss devastating. We at Doomworld offer our condolences to Ty Halderman's family, and would like to thank him for his efforts in keeping the central archive of the Doom community alive. He will be missed by us all.

RIP Ty, you legend.

Didn't know him personally, but always appreciated the work he put into the community that laid the groundwork for what it grew into.

This is sad news. RIP Ty, and my condolences to his family. His absence has certainly been keenly felt within the Doom community and he'll be greatly missed here.

No matter how prepared I figured I was to hear this, it is still deeply saddening. It is bittersweet now that we chose to honor him in the last Cacowards, since little did we know that was the last chance we had to do it. I didn't really know him that well as he kept to his own business and was always professional about it all. But I still feel a loss anyway.

TY, you've done a lot for the Doom community as the /idgames archive manager. It's hard to believe that you are gone. We will miss you a lot. RIP :(

By all accounts a man of upstanding character and commitment, his work was integral to the functioning of this community for many years and he never asked for anything in return. Thank you, Ty. Our achievements seem today mere footnotes in the story of this community, a book that you helped to write.

We're all gonna miss you, good buddy :( RIP, and thanks so much for everything you've done for each of us.

Wow, I just heard this. I haven't felt this much shock since Satoru Iwata died earlier in the same month, also from cancer.

Rest in peace, Ty.

My first reaction when I saw this was immediately "Oh my god, no!". This truly is saddening; I am lost of words and my eyes are a bit watery...

And my concern for the previous maintainer because of something that was inevitable anyways. Rest in piece and thanks for all of your contributions to the community especially the archives.

Link to his Doom Wiki Page includes his entire documented mapping background, which I will be playing this week as a tribute. Great guy and definitely one of the most important people in the origin of the Doom community.