Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LGN-76

How do you normally play DOOM? With Original or Modern Gameplay?

I fiddle with GZdoom so it most resembles vanilla Doom, just upscaled, and I play with mouselook and WASD. I turn off jumping and crouching if I'm playing vanilla wads or the IWADs.

When I was doing my first playthrough of Doom 1 and 2 I played it without any of the modern features (I did play Doom 2 through gzdoom though, but I played Ultimate Doom through Chocolate Doom), but now that I've finished both of them properly (by which I mean the way it was originally released, I don't think there's a proper way to play Doom) I'll usually play Doom with mouselook and crosshair enabled. I find crouching and jumping ruins not only vanilla doom maps but also custom WADS, even some of the modern ones, though I will use crouch when playing Project Brutality to make things little easier.

If I really don't want to play a level that I dislike and there's a situation where I can jump to the exit I might jump to it.

I also turn the classic hud off in favour of the minimalistic gzdoom "alternate hud" because I want things to look as good as they can.

I play using the port required by the wad. Usually it's vanilla Doom. In that case, I just run entryway's Doom+ exe hack (which is the original executable with limits, including fatal ones, strongly raised) through DOSBox, from a DropBox (cloud) directory. It's extremely convenient since there's a unique executable on a stable version for all platforms automatically sync'ed on the cloud. All savegames are neatly preserved.

I play using WASD with maximum mouse sensitivity that doesn't crash the menu (30 on Doom and Strife and 24 on Heretic and Hexen). I hold the shift key in order to keep running.

Been typically using GZDoom with 144hz and mouselook, WASD, and crosshair. If doable, I also use Smooth Doom.

Going from 144hz back to 60hz is a jarring difference (I was playing on my new TV earlier), as if Doom was "made" for 144hz. I just can't comfortable play in 60hz anymore. 35hz still is okay though, as it's the original intended framerate.

If anyone's wondering, 144hz actually captures Doom's movement without the motion blur 60hz introduces.

Yeah, I set my monitor to 75 hz and GZDoom went up to match it but Zandronum didn't because I had accidentally turned its wonky Vsync on.

The difference was so agonizingly apparent that I dreaded having to playtest using Zandronum at times.

I mostly play without mouselook/jumping/crouching, but I cannot play keyboard only.

I am somewhat new to all the DooM port stuff. Played through DooM 1+2 in the 90s and now i am back. tried out some things here and there, but at this time, i play like this:

I use GZDoom, and use all the fancy texture filtering and high resolution, but i use no mods whatsoever. Only gameplay differences i use are autoaim off, mouselook all the time, and enhanced nightvision.

I plan to play all the official stuff like this again before i make me some modpacks here and there for different DooM-experiences. (So far i finished DooM 1 and i am at map 20 or 22 from DooM 2, then Master Levels, Final DooM, No Rest for the Living. Everything on UV).

I am kind of a purist, but i am also open to new stuff, so i will keep my near-vanilla config seperately, and will also make one with better sound effects and all the non-gameplay enhanement stuff. And also one for Brutal DooM or Project Brutality. Yes it is unbalanced, but from time i have great fun with it.

I refuse to even configurate the jump button on vanilla maps or maps that are made to be vanilla.

I play with keyboard+mouse, but that's as far as I go. No freelook, no crosshair, infinitely tall things. And most definitely no jumping or crouching, these would ruin most maps I play.

I usually play in 4:3 pillarboxed (1440x1080), with WASD controls, mouse turning only, capped framerate, infinitely tall actors, jumping/crouching off, level statistics off, etc.

I switch to modern settings only if the map actually needs them.

I play with keyboard + mouse in prboom-plus, at the "most primitive" complevel that will work for the wad.

No jumping, crouching, crosshairs, monster count (I use the status bar, not the hud), secret count, or vertical mouselook.

I tend to use Chocolate Doom when possible or PRBoom+ if the map was made for this or is limit removing. Problem is PRBoom is not working on my laptop any more so I need to use ZDoom or GZDoom instead :-( if I do I never us freelook, jumping, crouching or gameplay mods.

I alternate between doomsday gl mode and vanilla renderer... but more often vanilla. generally I'll save the pretty fx for my oculus headset use... as vanilla renderer looks atrocious in VR.

In zandro... I do exclusively software renderer.

I don't mind mouselook, jumping, crouching... course i leave these all enabled on my zandro servers to keep with the times and todays players... but I still fancy vanilla doom controls when I can.

Id run more servers via dosbox classic doom... but so few have interest in playing DOOM Multiplay in its complete original form these days. So zandro attracts quite the crowd with keeping it as close to classic as reasonably possible without losing too much player interest.

I play WASD and mouse while alternating between Doom Retro, ZDoom and Zandronum depending on what I decide to play. I probably should install GZDoom again to potentially replace ZDoom but for the most part I simply play without mouselook (unless required for the WAD in question).

Buckshot, depending on your geographical location, I would not be against a game or two of some classic Doom multiplayer.

BlackFish said:

If anyone's wondering, 144hz actually captures Doom's movement without the motion blur 60hz introduces.

When I have hardware that allows it I have to give this a shot :) I play on 35 specifically because that awful motion blur makes me feel sick..

I only use modern features like jumping, mouselooking when needed, But if i play original Doom II OR Vanilla-compatible mods i don't use them .

Original gameplay predominantly with mouselook and crouch. I don't use jump unless the map requires it so I keep it unbound for old times sake.

Orchid87 said:

Orginal FTW. No jumping, no look up/down, no crosshairs, everything is perfect as it is.

Same here, except for Heretic, Hexen, Duke Nukem 3D or Shadow warrior (mouselook with jumping and crouching).

I like to play most things with modern gameplay (mouselook, jumping, crouching). If it's something vanilla/made before the advent of source ports or if the author made something with jumping and crouching disabled, I'll try to play by those parameters.

However, as soon as I come across something that's broken in the map not caused by jumping or crouching or there's some bullshit I have to do to progress (namely mandatory Arch-Vile jumps) then that's when I say "fuck it" and force jumping and crouching back on.

I at least make sure to have a back-up save ready because I know in some WADs using jump and/or crouch can break map progression.

I never jump but i use WASD and mouselook, even though i did use Doom95 the classic way until skulltag came out, that's when things really changed.

Modern gameplay. Jumping, crouching, full mouse look, all that stuff. Your WAD is supposed to be played without jumping or crouching? Nah, fuck your shit.

WADS + Mouse all the way. I try to avoid jumping unless the map was built around it, though, otherwise it almost feels like cheating to get to a ledge I wasn't meant to. XD

For playtesting and most PWADS i find it's simpler to play on ZDoom, with mouselook. I don't like jumping when it's not required, for the same reason many others feel the same - feels cheaty.
But when it comes down to it I like to just play Chocolate Doom/Heretic. I like the original feeling, the nostalgia of the years when I HAD to play with those limitations. I don't know, it just feels right to me.

I play mostly on a modern style, using mouselook, however recently i've been playing classic style with Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, and also wads like DTWID using chocolate doom

I play with mouselook and a crosshair, because I like being able to aim like a normal person and not feeling like I'm moving like a moving turret that can only turn left and right. I have jump and crouch mapped, but don't use them as the levels aren't designed for them and it'll often break stuff.

Admittedly, I will sometimes use jump to skip stuff just to save time (if I know I'm not breaking the map to do so, just saving time), so I often get annoyed at WADs which hard-code in no-jumping, but after seeing answers like LittleInferno's I might do the same for my future levels...

When I first discovered doom (Doom95.exe) I was using the default Arrow keys+Ctrl+Shift+Space.

When I discovered wsad + mouse in modern shooters I went to implement it in doom95.exe, was during this process that i discovered source ports.

Now I use an xbox controller for doom. Left stick = wsad, Right stick = look Left and right (freelook disabled, autoaim enabled). It just feels right :)