Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chris Hansen

THT: Threnody - released!

pcorf said:

Although I don't have as much time I'll still consider making a map because there is no deadline. I have been out of action for several months, barely touched Doom Builder. If I do create a map it will be medium sized, I'll use the resource wad and post it here for sure.

That would make us very happy Paul! Please see if you can't find the time to make a map for us. That would be sweet! :) If you'd like to make a map in the same style as Sky Pillar, Fallen Steward - Eternal Archieve or Tyvivec then you wont hear me complaining! ;)

Ressource update:
On a related note, here's the new version of sepTYtex with a selection of Mechadon's skies. I have also updated the links in the OP. Remember: We're aiming for this project to run with doom2.wad. There's no need to map for tnt.wad anymore, as Mithran Denizen has included all tnt.wad textures into sepTYtex. Please read the accompanying txt file if you intend to use animated textures. Questions, comments etc can be directed at me.

Chris Hansen said:

That would make us very happy Paul! Please see if you can't find the time to make a map for us. That would be sweet! :) If you'd like to make a map in the same style as Sky Pillar, Fallen Steward - Eternal Archieve or Tyvivec then you wont hear me complaining! ;)

Ressource update:
On a related note, here's the new version of sepTYtex with a selection of Mechadon's skies. I have also updated the links in the OP. Remember: We're aiming for this project to run with doom2.wad. There's no need to map for tnt.wad anymore, as Mithran Denizen has included all tnt.wad textures into sepTYtex. Please read the accompanying txt file if you intend to use animated textures. Questions, comments etc can be directed at me.

I think it is a good idea to have this for doom2.wad, not tnt.wad. Is this project for vanilla, limit removing or boom compatible?

I made my decision to create an eventual map for this project because I feel confident that it will get complete one day and it will be of very high standard maps with classical game play. And Chris I have always been a fan of your maps for many years. Hopefully over time the project can attract mappers such as AD_79, Ribbicks, John Romero and more. My aim is to create something that does not require the player to backtrack long distances, for example in Doomed Space Wars you would have noticed not much back tracking, just linear progression within a non-linear layout.

I am not dead, just needed a good break after Space Wars. Of course I will still contribute occasional maps for community projects, for example if there was a Community Chest 5. I may even make some Heretic maps.

I also have a midi named Mechanical Illuminations hanging around somewhere but I need to find it. Once I do I'll post a link to the midi file so anyone can use it in their maps.

Here it is on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jAbK6s6RMg

Great words, Pcorf! I'm glad to hear that you're on board and I hope that more of the greats follow as well :)

To answer your question, this project is Boom compatible, not limit-removing.

I have no doubt that this project will be completed and I believe that all of the work here is of a good quality; I also hope that my work here lives up to that quality as well.

pcorf said:

I think it is a good idea to have this for doom2.wad, not tnt.wad. Is this project for vanilla, limit removing or boom compatible?

I made my decision to create an eventual map for this project because I feel confident that it will get complete one day and it will be of very high standard maps with classical game play. And Chris I have always been a fan of your maps for many years. Hopefully over time the project can attract mappers such as AD_79, Ribbicks, John Romero and more. My aim is to create something that does not require the player to backtrack long distances, for example in Doomed Space Wars you would have noticed not much back tracking, just linear progression within a non-linear layout.

I am not dead, just needed a good break after Space Wars. Of course I will still contribute occasional maps for community projects, for example if there was a Community Chest 5. I may even make some Heretic maps.

I also have a midi named Mechanical Illuminations hanging around somewhere but I need to find it. Once I do I'll post a link to the midi file so anyone can use it in their maps.

Here it is on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jAbK6s6RMg

Sounds good, Paul! And thank you for all the nice words, much appreciated! I remember almost twenty years ago when I first sent you an e-mail on how to make something work in DoomCAD. I'd played some of your levels and noticed you used the same editor. Back then most people used DEU or something. Been a fan of your ever since! And because you've been around for so many years with so many, many levels under the belt it's totally understandable that you need a break. But it makes me a happy dude to hear that we might see a map from you! Or rahter: I know we will! :)

And what a cool tune! I'm pretty sure we can use that somewhere. If nothing else, might I suggest a short snippet from the somewhere in the first 20 seconds so that it can be used as intro song for the title? I think it would suit that pretty well. Especially somewhere around when the drums start. Thoughts?

Ressource wad update.... again:
Just a heads up, that I've updated sepTYtex2 to sepTYtex2a with a small animated addition courtesy of Earthworm "Fonze" Jim. Grab it here before it crawls away!

Just listened to that song you posted Pcorf; sounds like Deepest Reaches ("Blood Jungle") to me ^^ Also, it sounds great!

Hey Chris, didn't you use the original (TNT.wad) version of that song in your first map? If so, why not update it to this when Pcorf finds it instead of cutting it short for the intro song? It'd fit well with the other revisioned songs were using.

An intro song/clip would be good to have, though, and I like where you're going with it to look for something creepy/desolate-sounding for it because it'd fit well with the TITLEPIC, INTERPIC, and melancholy feeling of it all.

You're right, haha! It's that song :) I didn't even notice that. I still think though that I'll let someone else use it if they want to and that we can still use a snippet from it as intro, if Paul agrees and feels up for the task. I can't see any problem in using a small snippet from an excisting track in the project unless someone can come up with an alternative. I don't think the average player will notice that it as the intro song is so short (at least in some sourceport). If I remember correctly, those sourceports that starts a demo (like prboom) only gives the player 5-10 seconds of intro tune before the demo starts.

Cheers, Paul!

Do you have any interest in trying to make a short intro tune out of it for us? :)

Chris Hansen said:

Cheers, Paul!

Do you have any interest in trying to make a short intro tune out of it for us? :)

Here: paulcorfiatis.com/mecshort.mid

Although I might consider writing a new title theme so it does not conflict with the full length version of the song.

I like it, Paul. Thank you! Is it possible for the first couple of seconds to be a litle.. how can I put... gentler? I mean, to ease us into the track a little? I have zero experience with making music, so I don't know the right terms for it. While this track is really good, I just think it would be good if it didn't start so abruptly, so to speak. I hope you understand, I'm in over my head here trying to explain it! ;)

Screw that, start it off with a wailing guitar solo and let's jump in head first!

Nah, but seriously, if that's what you want Chris, perhaps itd be easiest to just take the first 10-20 seconds of the original Deepest Reaches song and add a fade out effect to the last few seconds. Or take the first one and a half repetitions of the starting melody and call it there might make for a sweet intro.

I'm assuming that you're talking about the loud attacks from the drums, though, in which case the original should do just fine, assuming I'm interpreting this correctly.

To Paul, is it really a remix of both of those songs? I suppose in the drums and a bit in the rhythm I can hear MAP20's song, but if you had never said that I would have never noticed.

Chris Hansen said:

I like it, Paul. Thank you! Is it possible for the first couple of seconds to be a litle.. how can I put... gentler? I mean, to ease us into the track a little? I have zero experience with making music, so I don't know the right terms for it. While this track is really good, I just think it would be good if it didn't start so abruptly, so to speak. I hope you understand, I'm in over my head here trying to explain it! ;)

Just use the regular full length song for the levels and I'll make an all new title song from scratch. Also from my point of view it makes sense to have different title songs and level songs. Started work on a map.

Who am I to disagree with that, Paul! Sounds awesome, thank you for finding the time to make a new song! Looking forward to see what kinda map you can come up with :)

Yes, it is better to ask and credit.

I used to extract and save a lot of interesting midi from wad I played. Now I have something like 500 tracks and only 10% I know the source.

But I like this music and I think it fits well my map.

Chris Hansen said:

Who am I to disagree with that, Paul! Sounds awesome, thank you for finding the time to make a new song! Looking forward to see what kinda map you can come up with :)

I'll make a few short 15-20 second title songs over the next week or two and send them to you, you can hand pick the midi you like the most.

There are lots of fabulous contributions for this project so far. Great job to everyone. :)

Before we hit the end of this January, I'm updating my previous work with minor changes. Nothing much is changed, except some architectural designs, monster placements, and fixed a bug that might cause a critical flaw during the co-op play(the blue key door).

Download link: Sky Pillar v2

P.S.: PostID = 1549098

It's gonna be a few weeks before I can playtest these new versions for y'all (or do anything substantial for anything) as my laptop is down and I gotta wait for a part to come in, then be installed, and then I think they said they were gonna give it a pedicure and do it's hair, which'll take another week. But I'll give y'all some more feedback on what you got when I'm back in action.

Chris Hansen said:

I asked Angry Saint if he wanted a new music track for his map and he said yes. He found a midi on his harddrive, but can't remember where it's from. Do any of you recognize it? I'd hate to use a track we can't credit.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/g9l3erielphjeo8/D_STALKS1.mid

Track information says "Copyright © 1997 by Vital". I'm gonna see if this person exists online or if the track has a name.

antares031 said:

Before we hit the end of this January, I'm updating my previous work with minor changes. Nothing much is changed, except some architectural designs, monster placements, and fixed a bug that might cause a critical flaw during the co-op play(the blue key door).

Download link: Sky Pillar v2

P.S.: PostID = 1549098

didy said:

updated: only some minor things like a few fixed misalignments

link see post:
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1524647

Jimmy said:

Track information says "Copyright © 1997 by Vital". I'm gonna see if this person exists online or if the track has a name.

Cheers, thank you all!

Jimmy said:

Thank you. Maybe working from the name of the author can be tricky. I'm thinking about creating a post in the forum just asking who remembers the wad I took it from.

Thinking about it, I could post some more tracks I have without known author.

Vital is too common a word to find the author easily in a web search.

The track is explicitly untitled -- there's a MIDI title marker (0xFF03) that says so.

With Vanbasco's MIDI search I found that there's at least one track out there that is also "by Vital", Zoetic. Is it the same Vital or someone else? I don't know. There was a site named midi.homemusician.net which had a whole directory for Vital songs, but it's parked and not on the Internet archive.

Edit: I've downloaded Zoetic, and I can confirm it's the exact same file as that mystery D_STALKS.

Yes, it seems Zoetic is the name of the midi, it can be download from a lot of midi sites.

Is this enough? Is it ok I use it in my map and credit Vital?

But... I still don't know from which wad I took it...

Gez said:

Vital is too common a word to find the author easily in a web search.

The track is explicitly untitled -- there's a MIDI title marker (0xFF03) that says so.

With Vanbasco's MIDI search I found that there's at least one track out there that is also "by Vital", Zoetic. Is it the same Vital or someone else? I don't know. There was a site named midi.homemusician.net which had a whole directory for Vital songs, but it's parked and not on the Internet archive.

Edit: I've downloaded Zoetic, and I can confirm it's the exact same file as that mystery D_STALKS.

Thank you so much for helping us solve this mystery! Also thanks to Jimmy for popping in and helping!

Angry Saint said:

Yes, it seems Zoetic is the name of the midi, it can be download from a lot of midi sites.

Is this enough? Is it ok I use it in my map and credit Vital?

But... I still don't know from which wad I took it...

Gez' discovery is fine. We can't be 100% sure I guess, but I trust it to be correct. We will use it for your level.

I'm not the leader here, but I'd imagine that you could certainly help! We do still need maps.

However, depending on what you mean by you're "still learning" (I mean, we never stop learning) it may be advisable for you to try and team up with another, more experienced mapper. Idk, see what Chris thinks.

On the other hand, no matter if you do/don't map for this project we could really use some playtesters to give these things a go to make sure they are all top-notch come release.

Thank you for your interest here; I look forward to your contributions!