Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Demon_XIV

An idea worth spreading?

Hello everyone, I am a long time doom fan and have known this forum for years.
i decided to join because i think i have an idea worth spreading.

I just thought of something really useful which, to my knowledge, is yet to be implemented in the doom engine.
When playing Hexen or Heretic, we get all kinds of items in our inventory. However, if overwhelmed by hordes of monsters, choosing the the right item turns to be a very cumbersome task.
For example, if you're about to die and you haven't set the healing potion as a primary item then you'll most likely die while trying to choose the potion.
Another example would be playing as the warrior in Hexen and trying to throw a Fléchette (grenade) at the monsters. If you miss the right moment, you'll end up spending too much time selecting the item and throwing it with precision.
My question is, would it be possible to designate a specific key for a specific item in the game? Does anybody know about such a thing? If not, is it doable to develop it from scratch?
p.s, i'm not a developer.

I do hope the OP does not stop posting... i know that awkward feeling one can get when an awesome idea one has... already exists.

FireFish said:

I do hope the OP does not stop posting... i know that awkward feeling one can get when an awesome idea one has... already exists.

totally awkward indeed.... but nevertheless, an eye opening experience...

As i was trying to bind a key for a flechette in Brutal Hexen, i realized that the class name for warrior flechette was changed from "artipoisonbag3" to something else...

iv'e been trying for about an hour until i guessed it right. its "brutalartipoisonbag".... after finding that out, iv'e tried searching "brutalartipoisonbag" on google but ended up with zero results...

so there you have it... at least we've learned something new ;)

thank you for sharing the info. that's going to bring my gaming satisfaction to a whole other level :)

if you're looking for a specific actor in a wad, you could always open it up using SLADE 3, and just ctrl+f around the DECORATE files in the wad/pk3 till you find what you think you're looking for!

Tango said:

if you're looking for a specific actor in a wad, you could always open it up using SLADE 3, and just ctrl+f around the DECORATE files in the wad/pk3 till you find what you think you're looking for!

good to know! thanks!

FireFish said:

Hey, I just now had a totally rad and cool new idea! We all love Doom but as we know, it's an old DOS game, and doesn't run on modern OSes. Since the source code was released, how about using it to make a version that runs on modern OSes without using emulators and VMs? Hey, who knows, perhaps we can even fix a couple of bugs and add a few perks along the way, like higher resolutions, larger levels, etc. :D

Anyways Hexen already had keys bound for a lot of the items. From memory:

5 - Icon of Defender
6 - Porkalator
7 - Banishment Device
8 - Chaos Device
9 - Disc of Repulsion
0 - Flechette
Backspace - Use All Items
\ - Quartz Flask

Maes said:

Hey, I just now had a totally rad and cool new idea! We all love Doom but as we know, it's an old DOS game, and doesn't run on modern OSes. Since the source code was released, how about using it to make a version that runs on modern OSes without using emulators and VMs? Hey, who knows, perhaps we can even fix a couple of bugs and add a few perks along the way, like higher resolutions, larger levels, etc. :D

Imagine the thrill of jumping back up to the chainsaw in case you forget it in map01! Sigh, we can only dream..

(I'm sorry, I couldn't resist)

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Eh
open console and type the following
bind "key" "command"
Is that hard ?

img-timeline

Demon_XIV said:

Jesus people! binding keys with console commands isn't so obvious!

That gif is golden..

I didn't mean to insult you - Maes post just gave me a good laugh :) Was a step back in time.