Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Mod idea I farted out

Now, I'm no programmer or hacker, so I can't do this. But yesterday I was thinking about how, like so many experienced Doomers, I enjoy bum rushing maps where you can bypass a lot of the monsters and you end up with this insane, pissed horde coming after you. Of course, that's all over once when you beat the map. But...what if somehow, they could follow you into the next map? What if there was a mod whose maps were designed to be bum rushed, but you run the risk of them following you? Is this even possible? I know that one could simply design a huge map with lots of teleports, but it's not the same. I don't know if I'm alone on this one, but I would play a mod like that.

It could almost certainly be done with ACS scripting, but I'm not sure if it'd be doable without having to add specific special handling for each individual monster.

Would the ammo needed to kill those monsters also follow you from the previous map? I guess it's possible technically, but I can see it causing nasty gameplay problems if the next map isn't adjusted for it.

Would they follow in a literal sense, or would they be spawned throughout the map? If they were expected to come roaring from the spawn point, obviously a lot of maps would screw that up and get them stuck.

Perhaps instead of conventional map end buttons, have it take a check of every live monster on the map, put the quantity of each alive monster in an array with indexes corresponding to monster types, then dump them in a huge area on the next map from which they can easily teleport in behind the player? If done correctly I believe the script could also be intelligent enough to not carry-over the monsters that may get stuck in the teleport area. This would need either lots of VERY smart ACS or smart map design.

I dunno if it's possible, since the previous map should be running at same time as current one
Would be better to combine all maps together and let em follow .

You could probably keep a count of how many of each monster was remaining at the end of the map that carries over into the next level, indicating how many of each monster to spawn at the beginning of the following map.

I feel like that isn't too hard to do at all, just use a hash table or something?

No, it wouldn't just be monsters left alive at the end of the map; it would have to be only monsters left alive in the exit room(s). Otherwise, any areas you didn't explore or monsters you avoided would show up at the start of the next map. Worst case, you leave a map with 4 Revenants chasing you and start the next one with 4 Revenants, 6 Barons, an army of Imps, 4 Cybers and 2 Spiderbosses all after you. The resulting in-fighting would kill most of them and thus negate the purpose of having them carry over in the first place. You'd have to negate all in-fighting and the ability of monsters to kill each other. And that's part of the fun of Doom.

EffinghamHuffnagel said:

No, it wouldn't just be monsters left alive at the end of the map; it would have to be only monsters left alive in the exit room(s). Otherwise, any areas you didn't explore or monsters you avoided would show up at the start of the next map.

Should have done a 100% run, bro!

I did it.

DOWNLOAD: http://www.filedropper.com/monsterfollow (click "Download This File" in the middle of the page, not any of the ads that say "DOWNLOAD")

If you exit a level and leave any living monsters behind, these monsters will be gradually teleported into the next map near the player's position. Every 5 seconds, a small group of monsters will spawn. Number of monsters per group depends on skill level: IDYTD = 1, HNTR = 2, HMP = 3, UV = 4, NM = 5. If the player exits the next map before all monsters from the previous map spawn in, they will be remembered to be spawned into the following map along with any monsters left alive in this one, and so on and so on.

Note: If you change map via IDCLEV or another warp command, the memory of alive monsters will be reset and no ones will be spawned in the next map.

This is a screenshot from Doom 2's MAP21 after I exited MAP20. I've by-passed the whole MAP20 with noclip and left all monsters alive. They came for me.

I had a similar idea time ago... but I thought about all surviving monsters to teleport in the last episode level, just to help the boss or miniboss in the battle against you.

This seems like it would be easier to produce if you combine all of the maps into one and force them to teleport into the next map once you exit and have the door lock behind you or something.

This is a pretty cool idea which would stop me getting annoyed when I don't 100% a map though.

scifista42 said:

I did it.

[...]

If you exit a level and leave any living monsters behind, these monsters will be gradually teleported into the next map near the player's position. Every 5 seconds, a small group of monsters will spawn. Number of monsters per group depends on skill level: IDYTD = 1, HNTR = 2, HMP = 3, UV = 4, NM = 5. If the player exits the next map before all monsters from the previous map spawn in, they will be remembered to be spawned into the following map along with any monsters left alive in this one, and so on and so on.

I was just about to suggest doing it this way in response to EffinghamHuffnagel, but sure enough scifista is all over it :) Well done man, this is such a cool idea - Thanks to both you and GoatLord. Wonder how this will play in MP?? It will probably be awesome, assuming it functions properly!

nxGangrel said:

If a mod idea came from your ass, it's probably not a good idea.

Au contraire!

It's shitty that the toilet community project never saw the porcelain-white light of day, I guess it is a sorta crappy idea.

Doomkid said:

Au contraire!

It's shitty that the toilet community project never saw the porcelain-white light of day, I guess it is a sorta crappy idea.

ಠ_ಠ seriously...?

Doomkid said:

Wonder how this will play in MP?? It will probably be awesome, assuming it functions properly!

Currently, it will always spawn monsters around the first player who enters the map, even after he dies. There is also a possibility that when all monsters from the previous levels get spawned, and a new player enters the game afterwards, all of the monsters will start spawning for the second time.

Captain Ventris said:

You say it spawns the monsters near the player's position: so near his current position, not the spawn point?

Indeed, and deliberately. I thought it was better for the sake of challenge, so that the player cannot leave all of them behind (so easily again). Let's say that the monsters from previous levels got the ability to teleport anywhere into the next map, and they know where Doomguy is, so that they always choose to teleport right next to him, to threaten him immediately.

scifista42 said:

Currently, it will always spawn monsters around the first player who enters the map, even after he dies. There is also a possibility that when all monsters from the previous levels get spawned, and a new player enters the game afterwards, all of the monsters will start spawning for the second time.
Indeed, and deliberately. I thought it was better for the sake of challenge, so that the player cannot leave all of them behind (so easily again). Let's say that the monsters from previous levels got the ability to teleport anywhere into the next map, and they know where Doomguy is, so that they always choose to teleport right next to him, to threaten him immediately.

Eeeeexcellent!