Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
printz

LIST OF SINGLE PLAYER WADS BY POPULARITY

Hi, I just compiled a list of all single-player /idgames wads (excluding x-rated and t****wads), sorted in descending order of number of reviews. This includes both famously good and notoriously bad wads.

http://pastebin.com/6AtLD4jG
EDIT: Check actual link in my signature!

Enjoy!

(the Python script I used is this, but CAUTION it doesn't cache downloads!)

Having the ID on the left is confusing. I thought it was the review count and was wondering why the sorting seemed so bonkers.

No, the list is really sorted with most popular first :) I just didn't consider adding the count because I thought it's distracting and not very useful (you can see the count when going to the page anyway).

I'm considering using a DropBox public text file instead of pastebin, and updating the list monthly or something like that (not that it needs update, seeing that it can't change drastically).

Now the list is going to be updated monthly, and will be henceforth linked from my signature, for anyone interested in quickly finding the most popular /idgames wads.

Link is here.

Woo, I got a solo one in the top 500! (Surely I'm not the only one who vanity searched this straight away?)

This is quite interesting to see, although I have to admit the figures I've always wanted to see are download statistics. It's been a perennial concern/curiosity of mine - how many people actually download (and presumably then play) WADs, mine or otherwise?

I've updated the HTML to mark wads with good and with bad ratings differently, so it's easier to tell the "bad" ones apart. Don't let that be a judgment though — any wad can get trolled into 0 stars ratings, so please try them all out :)

As for actual number of downloads, I guess that's private Doomworld (or actually just /idgames) information? Dunno if outsiders can access it.

i used to play GF back in the day. very good wad, and very replayable. a well earned #1 IMO.

@EffinghamHuffnagel: not really. it's a well known wad. not surprised with WoW.wad being #2. i wonder if Paul Thrussell maps now?

Pure Hellspawn said:

i wonder if Paul Thrussell maps now?

Does not seem like he does but at least he is fully aware of what he created. We should suggest him to make a map though.

Wonderful, thanks Printz!

EffinghamHuffnagel said:

So the second most-reviewed single-player wad is a piece of crap done by a 12-year old playing with an editor for the first time. That's depressing.

I actually think it's amazing, it shows how Doomers flock to shit like flies, even if just for the lulz.

EDIT: Awesome, UAC Rebellion ranked at #242! Not too shabby!

Phobus said:

It's been a perennial concern/curiosity of mine - how many people actually download (and presumably then play) WADs, mine or otherwise?

This is seriously my favorite thing about MediaFire. I was stoked to see that, even with an /idgames mirror and various other mirrors, most of my WADs are downloaded at the very least 100+ times within about 2 months of release, and over the course of a year that tends to grow to 300-400 for my SP stuff. I assume the same would be true for any half-decent-or-better mapper.

Even then it wouldn't take into account the hundreds of Doomers who get most of their custom files through GetWAD when playing online!

40oz said:

congratulations ghoul forest.

The always smiling Jitterskull would be proud indeed!

Phobus said:

Woo, I got a solo one in the top 500! (Surely I'm not the only one who vanity searched this straight away?)

Well you made me look, which kind of counts I guess.

Apparently age has its benefits, as my highest solo project is at 104 right now.

Pretty cool list, I just looked through the first 10 pages to see the highest rated wad with a significant amount of votes was. Only 3 Doom wads got above a 4.7, so it looks like Pirate Doom with a 4.77 based on 61 votes is the most liked Doom wad of all time.