Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LanHikariDS

ZDoom class graphics

So, I asked this over at the ZDoom forums, but they weren't of much help, directing me to a wiki page I've already seen and that poses no help at all. How do I set custom graphics for a class in a WAD? I can't use the S_SKIN lump, because the WAD includes maps as well, and that lump makes ZDoom ignore everything in that WAD that the skin doesn't use.

You've already got them defined as player classes, right? What you'll need to do is redefine their States. Try using the DoomPlayer class as a template.

I must apologize on behalf of the ZDoom forums; a lot of people are drawn to the "How Do I..." thread, which means a lot of people sort of get lost in the noise, and so many of them are convinced that your question has already been answered that you get the wrong solutions in their haste to re-answer them.

It's fine, I've just chalked it up to human ignorance. I take it I put those strings in the DECORATE lump? Do I copy all the strings, or just the ones I'm changing?

LanHikariDS said:

It's fine, I've just chalked it up to human ignorance. I take it I put those strings in the DECORATE lump? Do I copy all the strings, or just the ones I'm changing?

Copy only the States blocks you're replacing, and put them in the Decorate lump under the classes you're modifying. You shouldn't need to copy anything else. If you still have problems, feel free to show your code here.

WildWeasel said:

Copy only the States blocks you're replacing, and put them in the Decorate lump under the classes you're modifying. You shouldn't need to copy anything else. If you still have problems, feel free to show your code here.

Gotcha. I'm going to assume it'll accept PNGs (No need to answer that, if not, I'll notice right away, and convert them to Doom format)

Is there any way I can set it to have all the rotations be the same, without copying the graphics and renaming them?

EDIT: Kinda found a way, but the animation is really fast, and it bugs out when I shoot. I renamed the sprites to WIZRA0, WIZRB0, so on.

States
  {
  Spawn:
    WIZR A -1
    Loop
  See:
    WIZR ABCD 1
    Loop
	Missile:
    WIZR E 1
    Goto Spawn
	}

The numbers you're changing in Decorate are not rotations; they are durations. Setting them to 1 will make them very, very fast, as those frames are now changing 35 times every second. Leave the numbers alone from the DoomPlayer class to retain the original animation speeds.

Rotations - the numbers in your sprite lumps - are more or less handled automatically by Doom. This ZDoom Wiki page has more information about that.