Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DonuT1

Running Doom Wads On Unix-Like Systems

Good day, Doomworld!

I'm working on Ubuntu Linux about 2 years now and i've decided to make my own wad on this operational system. I've already made a map on eureka editor (honestly, only first part of the map). Problem is, i don't know how to test my map, on which source port i should do that. In fact, i tried to run ZDoom, but it crashes on start up. Using another source port like Skulltag, i'm starting to get stuck on a problem with how to run my wad. Speaking of other alternatives, i tried to run couple of them, but:

a) They are working with errors
b) They are on alpha or beta stages
c) They are too old to run
d) My arms growing up from my ass, that i can't run something properly

So, please, if you know any information on how to run custom doom wads in Skulltag or the best source port on Linux let me know this

111DonuT111 said:

Speaking of other alternatives, i tried to run couple of them, but:

It's not very helpful that you don't tell us what alternatives that were.

However, you should at least have chocolate-doom and prboom-plus on Ubuntu. Try this for other alternatives

apt-cache search doom-engine

Make sure you've built the Nodes in the map that you save (CTRL+B or similar) before trying to run it.

chocolate-doom and prboom-plus are both in the Ubuntu archives and can be easily installed (thanks Fabian)

also look at game-data-packager to register your IWAD on the system.

fabian said:

It's not very helpful that you don't tell us what alternatives that were.

Sorry. I tried DooM Legacy, but, like i said before, it's only on beta stage of developing and i'm not sure about its working condition. XZDooM not working on my machine at all, Doomsday sometime is running and sometime not.

fabian said:

However, you should at least have chocolate-doom and prboom-plus on Ubuntu. Try this for other alternatives

apt-cache search doom-engine

Very well. I'll try it today and, if there's another problem, i'll write back.

Jon said:

Make sure you've built the Nodes in the map that you save (CTRL+B or similar) before trying to run it.

Interesting. I guess this will make easier to run my wad. I'll try it out

Jon said:

also look at game-data-packager to register your IWAD on the system.

Ok!

ducon said:

Add this in your /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://debian.drdteam.org/ stable multiverse
You can compile ZDoom by yourself, it’s quite easy.

Well, if this the option. Thanks by the way. I will try it again, because i had no luck for the first time when i tried to install and run ZDooM. Actually, i solved this problem very easy. I used another computer with pre-installed WinXP and things are going quite well.

And, yes, another thing. Chocolate DooM is running very smoothly without any problems along with PrBoom Plus. But (still) cannot run my custom wads on Ubuntu. I'll try it again with your suggestion and i'll see what i can do one more time

I forgot to say that the repository gives pre-compiled packages, you just need to install the needed packages.
Compiling ZDoom from the sources is easy, I provide the compiled executable on my web page but I don’t know if it works everywhere.

Great! Finally, i got ZDooM into the working condition. But i don't understand one more thing: how to play original music? The sound runs without any problems, but default music isn't working. I set music device to Timidity++, but i'd prefer to hear the original one. I, guess, there's missing sound fonts or something, because the game itself saying that "Starting midi playback failed". How to fix it?

Well, this really depends: what's "original," to you? Did you first play Doom on an old Sound Blaster? Maybe a Gravis Ultrasound, or a Roland MT-32, or even an AWE64? The answer to that question will determine how you'll need to set up your sound. Remember, MIDI is a really amorphous thing, and won't necessarily sound the same between two machines, or even the same machine over time, because of the way hardware and software have changed over the years.

WildWeasel said:

Well, this really depends: what's "original," to you? Did you first play Doom on an old Sound Blaster? Maybe a Gravis Ultrasound, or a Roland MT-32, or even an AWE64? The answer to that question will determine how you'll need to set up your sound. Remember, MIDI is a really amorphous thing, and won't necessarily sound the same between two machines, or even the same machine over time, because of the way hardware and software have changed over the years.

Huh, nevermind. I think, i figured it out. Thank you everyone for your assistance. Thread is closed.

I run Slackware Linux, since Linux 1.2 (approx. since 1996.

I develop DoomLegacy on Linux, (where the Beta means it is the release version).
DoomLegacy is derived from LinuxDoom, among others.
The SourceForge site is still buggy and the button will download to you an
old version (and they will not fix the problem).
Must instead go to the directory and download the latest version manually.
The SVN repository code is most recent, including some significant changes to directory searches.

I also have working on Linux, and can recommend:
PrBoom 2.5
Edge, 3DGE
Eternity Engine.
These are all solid dependable engines on Linux.

I have utterly failed at getting ZDoom to compile because of sound library
requirements. Similar problems for GZDoom, Vavoom, and some others.

I use the Yadexx editor (modified Yadex), and also have Eureka.
Have Linux version of xwadtools, which always comes in handy.
I use zennode, but xwadtools also has some node-builders.

DonuT1 said:

Great! Finally, i got ZDooM into the working condition.

Extremely strange for me...
I'm using ubuntu 14.04 , but adding that debian repository caused my software center to cause error...