Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Morphic resonance

Take a look at this banned TED Talk. The speaker, Rupert Sheldrake, speaks about a hypothesis of his known as morphic resonance, which implies that consciousness projects outward and can influence other entities of a similar molecular structure, even if it is non-living.

Now, the fact that this guy is a Christian might raise a red flag, but hear him out. It's interesting, to say the least. I don't necessarily believe in his theory--it's pretty nutty really--but it's worth exploring, at least in the mind. I don't know if we could really definitively prove any of what he's claiming. It spits in the face of evolution and that is perhaps the most peculiar aspect of it. Thoughts?

"10 dogmas of science" *eye twitches*
"Second, matter is unconscious" *closes video*

Asshole is really trying to make science sound like yet another religion. I'm not biting.

The only thing I took from this is the universe will constantly change and evolve, just because we aren't telepathic or superhuman now doesn't mean 2 seconds from now we won't be. We haven't had superpowers until now so.... should we discount what he's said or hold out for another million years?

Because the speed of light dropped or had an error means anything can happen. He's right and its not primitive technology or someone being wrong. I'll buy into light speed and gravity speed fluctuate, until we make it a concrete measurement and then the term "light speed" will always mean a specific measurement rather than measuring light itself which fluctuates. Like if I say cheetah speed.... a cheetah moves what 70+mph? What if its having an off day? 65+mph?

James Randi trained 2 men to fool scientists into thinking they're psychic. However, James Randi is a legit wizard from the past that went through a time portal.

11th Dogma, people that think their Sims are real just because a game tells you they feel pain, sadness and happiness.

GoatLord said:

consciousness projects outward and can influence other entities of a similar molecular structure, even if it is non-living.

Even though there is absolutely no science to back up this claim, I still find this snippet to be a great way to approach life - a good mantra to live by. It essentially boils down to "approach life with a positive attitude" and "treat others the way you want to be treated".

Worth noting, I came up with this exact theory at age 12. There's no science behind it, or at least no evidence and certainly nothing we can measure. That said, living life as though it were true has proven very beneficial for me personally.

And hey, anyone who wishes to truly view things in a scientific fashion doesn't entirely rule anything out until there's irrefutable proof ;) Nothing wrong with entertaining a theory if it works for you, so long as you don't pass legislation imposing it on others...

(I didn't watch the vid, current device can't play it, but I think I get the gyst, and another dude spouting my own theory in a likely more insane fashion will just annoy me anyway..)

dew said:

"10 dogmas of science" *eye twitches*
"Second, matter is unconscious" *closes video*

Asshole is really trying to make science sound like yet another religion. I'm not biting.

Could you elaborate, please?

GoatLord said:

Could you elaborate, please?

New agers and religious folk have long held contempt for scientific advancement as they feel it endangers their mysticism. They attack science by either trying to pass off their ideas as legitimate science (homeopathy, creationism and id) or by attempting to bring science 'down to their level' so to speak by claiming science is simply a religious practice of a kind (what the bleep do we know, evolution is just a theory, calling a random thing a dogma).

This guy and his ideas are not new, unique or interesting at all. He is a spiritual person upset at the 'materialistic worldview' of scientific endeavor and wants a higher purpose and higher meaning to existence and is looking for his quantum jesus.

Edit: holy shit he actually brought up crystals

How is the TED talk banned when it's openly available? Is it even correct to call it a TED talk when the label says TEDx? From TED's site:

TEDx was created in the spirit of TED's mission, "ideas worth spreading." It supports independent organizers who want to create a TED-like event in their own community.

Anyone anywhere can run their mouth under this program, so let's NOT automatically give this the same amount of "cred" that TED talks receive. You've kinda tricked us in the first sentence already.

And what made me stop watching? The guy started talking about scientific dogmas that stifle scientific progress. Now, I'm not saying there aren't certain principles that could be viewed as somewhat dogmatic, but that word implies unbreachable truth from a higher authority. My superiors said so, therefore it's true. That's a pretty daring claim when science works more like a jungle where the strongest theories survive.

The guy follows by precisely identifying 10 of these dogmas in a not-subtle-at-all nod to 10 commandments. His book is called "The Science Delusion", which itsels is a heavy-handed allusion to Richard Dawkins' "The God Delusion". Within the first minute this guy establishes himself as a reactionary troll. Then he starts rolling the dogmas out:
1) Nature, humans, universe, everything is machine-like.
2) Matter is unconscious.

Kinda redundant? If "materialstic science" considers everything in reality to be deterministic machines, of course matter would be unconscious. Anyways! Why are these scientific dogmas? Who is the authority that established their truthfulness by simple declaration? Provide a working theory and prove it and science will accept it - after peer-reviewing it! If anything, this guy has a chip on his shoulder, because his pseudoscience crock has been rejected as fantastic babbling for the past 40 years. Oh wait, he gets credited by Deepak Chopra, that makes him legit for sure.

tl;dr There's no dogma under which science refuses counsciousness in matter. I've heard the theory from the mouths of much more credible speakers. However a mere thought construct won't become true just because enough stoners say "just give the thought a chance!"

Yeah TEDx isn't TED. The bar for doing a TEDx talk is really low - I know a couple of people who have done them. This is just some quack using a TEDx talk to promote his nonsense ideas.

His Wikipedia page describes him as a "researcher in the field of parapsychology". That's all you need to know, really.

Yeah, I don't really believe the guy, but I was fascinated by the idea. I don't entirely dismiss it because I'm curious about whether there's a kernel of truth to it. If it's disproven, that would be equally as interesting.

GoatLord said:

If it's disproven, that would be equally as interesting.

You cannot do this.

Consciousness consists of ultra-sentient particles of quantum energy. Throughout history, humans have been interacting with the quantum cycle via supercharged electrons. You will soon be aligned by a power deep within yourself. You and I are lifeforms of the nexus. Consciousness consists of transmissions of quantum energy. "Quantum" means a summoning of the infinite. The goal of ultra-sentient particles is to plant the seeds of ecstasy rather than dogma.

Dogma is born in the gap where balance has been excluded. Where there is illusion, inspiration cannot thrive. You and I are warriors of the quantum matrix. Our conversations with other beings have led to an awakening of hyper-unlimited consciousness. We are at a crossroads of transformation and dogma. You must take a stand against dogma.

More here...

When I saw "resonance" I thought this would be about some new groundbreaking medical procedure, not this.

U guys need to speak to a real Christian before u make such accusations about one. U sound ignorant. If this guy hasn't gained true salvation he's not a Christian. He's a "Christian".

dew said:

a mere thought construct won't become true just because enough stoners say "just give the thought a chance!"

Just want to clarify that being a stoner has nothing to do with believing garbage. I agree with the rest of your post pretty fully though.

fraggle said:

Not all ideas are falsifiable. If they aren't, as I suspect this one isn't, the correct response is to dismiss them.

This is an excellent point.

I'm still annoyed that a dude attempting to almost "parody" Richard Dawkins has a bunch of people listening to him when he's just saying a much less sensible version of a hairbrain theory I came up with when I was literally a child..

Reminds me of an old (and presumably discredited) theory which asserted that the gift of sight was due to some sort of vision rays emanating from the eyes. :D

Got to love new age BS claims. As a member of the amateur radio community I love hearing people butcher terms like resonance, radiation, energy and Tesla.

What would a conscious inanimate object even be capable of? What useful properties or abilities would this give a user?

Tesla's real contributions are nothing short of near magic, but fools want there to be more and crazy. Cause the radio in nearly everything they touch and the AC current flowing within feet at all times is just too damn boring. Likewise much of this technology ends up being feared. Morons suddenly think a massive antenna array is a weather control device or controls their thoughts.

Science is a process that builds on success and proven results. It tries its best to ignore cultural bias. Science and proper engineering are what give us the life we so enjoy, not hokey woo from snake oil sales men. The only way to keep the ball rolling is proper education, training and interaction. Keeping our selves in walled gardens that echo our beliefs can feel good, but is very dangerous. An open mind is good, but reason should always apply. Like a good vaccine exposure can be a good thing.

If it is too good to be true, too vague or involves money, iceberg ahead.

Oh, the real Christian will do more than stand. He will resonate through the walls, into your memory bank, and reanimate himself in the shared quantum memories of all your future descendants.

VGames said:

U guys need to speak to a real Christian before u make such accusations about one. U sound ignorant. If this guy hasn't gained true salvation he's not a Christian. He's a "Christian".

I suspect Jesus would disapprove of your idea of Christianity and instead embrace something more humble and less muddied up by metaphysical supernatural literature.

Are u talking about the Bible? That's Him so I don't think so. Or are u talking about the video in the OP. Because that's nonsense.

VGames said:

Ur version of Christianity is clearly less retarded than his version of Christianity. I fucking salute u and look forward to further posts from u on this topic.

I'm kind of feeling sarcasm from u but I'm not sure. If u are serious then thank u. But it's not my version. It's the truth.

Jimi said:

Consciousness consists of ultra-sentient particles of quantum energy. Throughout history, humans have been interacting with the quantum cycle via supercharged electrons. You will soon be aligned by a power deep within yourself. You and I are lifeforms of the nexus. Consciousness consists of transmissions of quantum energy. "Quantum" means a summoning of the infinite. The goal of ultra-sentient particles is to plant the seeds of ecstasy rather than dogma.

Dogma is born in the gap where balance has been excluded. Where there is illusion, inspiration cannot thrive. You and I are warriors of the quantum matrix. Our conversations with other beings have led to an awakening of hyper-unlimited consciousness. We are at a crossroads of transformation and dogma. You must take a stand against dogma.

More here...

Lmao that's golden!