Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tristan

TNT: Revilution - Shifted to open development (alpha release)

TNT: Revilution

The Revilution Continues! Cue shameless plugging to really old D_READ_M video!

Revilution-alpha-05122015
Texture WAD

TNT: Revilution is a community project with the aim of creating a vanilla-compatible sequel to TeamTNT's TNT: Evilution, capturing the things that made Evilution great, and bringing the quality up to modern standards. The project used to make up the majority of TNT2: Devilution, after some complicated disagreements necessitated a split. Revilution was originally led by Kyka, but after a 3-month absence with no word, it was clear a new leader was necessary. Since I was the only member of the core team still active, and already had most of the necessary files, I'll be trying to keep things ticking over nicely. I recall saying I would never lead a community project again after my resignation from UDINO, and here we are. Good-o.

If Kyka returns and is able to do so, I will hand back the reigns to him, and we can return to the old thread. Something, including past experience, tells me that's unlikely to happen.

Core team
  • Kyka - Project founder (INACTIVE)
  • Eris - Acting project lead, quality control/testing
  • Jaws in Space - Project co-lead, Quality control/testing
  • AD_79 - Quality control/testing
  • Ragnor - Theme/Story director, tester, original MIDI Pack maintainer (INACTIVE)
  • Megamur - Vanilla + DeHackEd magician, tester
  • Demon of the Well - Quality control/testing
Screenshots

Clockwise from top left: MAP12, MAP17, MAP20, MAP25

Story
Revilution takes place in a parallel timeline that runs alongside Devilution. Immediately after defeating the Icon of Sin in Evilution, Revilutionguy turns and head back through the crumbling ruins of Last Call, where he finds a portal which transports him to a long lost section of the Io base, which has been infested by a new wave of Hellspawn. Guess we're not finished after all.
On their journey, the player also travels to defunct space ports, and darkened buildings on the other moons of Jupiter. At the end of all this comes the portal to a new layer of Hell. The demons stole human technology from the Jupiter bases, and are starting the process of integrating it into their habitat. An industrial revilution. And the Icon of Sin has got nothing over the true emperor of Hell...

Submitting maps
  • Maps should generally be short to medium sized. While Evilution is remembered as being the one with the colossal adventure maps, that really wasn't the majority, and so it shouldn't be so here.
  • Maps must be in Doom 2 format and conform to vanilla limits, with the exception of the savegame buffer overflow. Testing with chocorenderlimits is recommended.
  • Revilution will have a completely original soundtrack, so please either take a track from the MIDI pack linked below, or request a musician to write an original piece for the map.
  • Maps may not end up in the slot they are originally intended for. We will re-arrange maps based on flow/difficulty/theme and all that jazz.
  • If you're interested in mapping, shoot me a PM and I will send you the texture resource. Current version is RevilutionTextures27.
  • When your map is done, PM it to both me and Jaws in Space.
Current maplist
"Reserve" maps are currently in Convilution because me and Jaws would like outside opinions on them. See Convilution section for more info.

Episode 1 - Takes place on Io, fighting back through old, lost techbases.
  • MAP01: Uprising - SFoZ911 (pending internal story-edit)
  • MAP02: Geothermics - AD_79
  • MAP03: Access Denied - Chris Hansen
  • MAP04: Blood Factory - SteveD
  • MAP05: empty
  • MAP06: Untitled - Xenonemesis, Kyka
  • MAP07: No Man's Station - Cannonball
  • MAP08: Fortress of Bullets - sincity2100
  • MAP09: Startan Complex - Whoo, Kyka (Pending internal edit)
  • MAP10: Underground Activity - Gothic
  • MAP11: Empty
Episode 2 - Dark and gloomy techbases, set on other moons and in space.
  • MAP12: Wormholding - StupidBunny, Kyka, Megamur
  • MAP13: untitled - Jaws in Space
  • MAP14: Military Complex - EmZee, Kyka (Done, reserve)
  • MAP15: untitled - D_GARG (Done, will need secret exit if kept here)
  • MAP16: The Wings - 40oz (Done, reserve)
  • MAP17: Spider Colony - purist
  • MAP18: untitled - Jaws in Space
  • MAP19: Empty
  • MAP20: Portal Facility - Phobus
Episode 3 - Industrial Hell, fusion of flesh/wood/blood with metal, etc.
  • MAP21: Bloody Garden - Eradrop
  • MAP22: Arenophobia - Olympus, Kyka, Jaws in Space
  • MAP23: untitled - AD_79 (reserved)
  • MAP24: The Red - sincity2100 (Done, reserve)
  • MAP25: Malware - cannonball
  • MAP26: Abysmal Oubliette - Kyka (Done, reserve)
  • MAP27: untitled - Xaser (WIP)
  • MAP28: Across the Sea of Blood - Eradrop
  • MAP29: Viridian Twilight - Kyka (Done, reserve)
  • MAP30
Secret maps
  • MAP31: Anubis - Valkiriforce
  • MAP32
Soundtrack

Revilution MIDI Pack - Please do not use these outside of Revilution until the WAD is finished, thanks.

Assigned tracks
  • MAP01: TiN Toker - Bucket (fusion of TNT.wad D_DDTBLU and another BucketMIDI)
  • MAP02: TiNTinnabulation - Bucket
  • MAP03: Hellhole - TheUlimateDoomer666
  • MAP04: Sea Bats - Doomhuntress
  • MAP10: Your Last Resort - Doomhuntress
  • MAP12: Ionian Isolation - Eris
  • MAP13: (Here Comes) The Night Train - Bucket
  • MAP14: Avec Vous - Doomhuntress
  • MAP17: TaraNTulas - Bucket
  • MAP18: ThirteeNTh hour - Bucket
  • MAP20: Hell's Furnace - Eris
  • MAP21: Becoming a Machine - Eradrop
  • MAP22: TermiNate and Torture - Doomhuntress
  • MAP25: And So, She Fell - Doomhuntress
  • MAP27: ToNgue Tied - Bucket
  • MAP28: Last Deep Breath - Eradrop
  • MAP29: God Ov Julenca - Doomhuntress
  • MAP30: Trampled uNderneaTh - Bucket
  • MAP31: Atmosphere - Eris
  • MAP32: Frozen Wilderness - Eris

• Title screen: Cataclysmic Impact - Doomhuntress
  • Intermission screen: Darkest Hour - Eris (Sort of tnt.wad D_DM2INT tribute)
  • Story text screen: The Revolution Continues - Eris (remix of Evilution D_READ_M)
Unassigned - If these could be used in the episode they're marked as, that would be cool
  • The Arcane - Doomhuntress (E3: RESERVED)
  • Crazy Castle Killer - Doomhuntress (E1)
  • Contempt (I Hate You) - Doomhuntress (E3)
  • Crazy Castle Killer - Doomhuntress
  • Driving a Plucked String - Doomhuntress
  • Grandfather Clocktower - Doomhuntress (E2)
  • I Don't Want You To Leave (Regretful Edit) - Doomhuntress (E3)
  • Lonely Corridors - TheUltimateDoomer666 (E2)
  • No Absolution - TheUltimateDoomer666 (E1)
  • Severance - TheUltimateDoomer666 (E1)
  • Tell No Tales - Bucket (E2/E3)
  • TeNeT - Bucket (E1) (Based on doom.wad D_VICTOR)
  • TermiNaTed - Bucket (E1)
  • Thrash 'N' Tear - TheUltimateDoomer666 (E1)
  • TiNTinnabulation - Bucket (E2)
  • TNT'd Love - Bucket (E1)
  • Wasted - TheUltimateDoomer666 (E2/E3)
Convilution
Any maps that don't make the final 32 go in here, unless the author objects. Throughout development this will be openly available, and also include maps that me and Jaws aren't sure on, quality wise, so lots of opinions on those reserves would be VERY helpful. The maps in question are marked by "reserve" in the maplist. A first version of this will appear when I actually have enough time to put it together.

Convilution-05122015

Map01 - was Map02, Nightmap by Olympus
Map02 - was Map03, DMP Sand by Kyka
Map03 - was Map04, Graytech Harrow by Kyka
Map04 - was Map05, Compute Err Stay Shun by Archi & Kyka
Map05 - was Map09, Lithosphere by Melon, Kyka, & Megamur
Map06 - an E1 map, Checkout by joe-Ilya
Map07 - was Map14, Decay by mrthejoshmon
Map08 - was Map15, Untitled by Kyka & Alterworldruler
Map09 - was Map16, The Wings by 40oz
Map10 - was Map17, Sting Theory by Kyka & Alterworldruler
Map11 - was Map18, Untitled by Kyka & Alterworldruler
Map12 - was Map19, Crud Refinery by Kyka & Xenonemesis

I'll try and tidy this post up a bit when I'm less busy.

Huh. It feels like I made more songs than that. I wonder how many of them were actually claimed by Devilution mappers before the project lie fallow for a whole damn year. I don't make these songs so they can be chained to dead projects.

Send me the texture pack please. I may tool around in DB a bit.

Devilution is very non-dead. The most recent major map update (brand-new map, thing placement still WIP) just hit Dropbox on Friday. Gears are turning, and the tracks are being put to good use for sure.

[Though this ain't the thread for that, I suppose. :P ]

[EDIT] A back-on-topic question of sorts: The quality issues in old-TNT2 were largely a factor of a lack of good feedback/testing/etc. Are there any plans for remedying this going forward? Even if public alphas/betas become a thing, a good solid group of core testers who know their stuff would be a fantastic resource to have.

We did briefly discuss getting some extra testers in to help out rather than just releasing demos. I guess if the people who signed up for beta testing in the old thread want to, they could help with that, even though it's not really a beta.

I guess we'll see how we go. There are some maps where we thought "this is great, and its definitely staying in" (i.e Malware) and "this is bad, and its easier to just get a new map rather than take the entire map apart trying to make it good" (Sting Theory) and those ones are pretty much dealt with, though I didn't quite finish my scan of E3. We'll see how things go with the first release of those reserves.

--

Bucket: done

Hey Eris I think that it may be a good idea to seek out some people via PM as testers as well rather than just waiting for people to volunteer. Besides there are certain people I would like the opinions of that I know have good design sensibilities.

Hey idk if y'all are looking for more mappers, but it looks like there's open spaces.

TNT was my favorite iWad and I'd love to help get this bad boy along any way I can. Test, map, shake some pom-poms in a miniskirt, throw out random bits of useless advice, cover myself in whipped cream and run at people screaming "I'm the Michelin Man!" hey, I got you covered.

Nah but seriously, a TNT 2 is something that I'm really looking forward to. If you do still need mappers I'd like to take a crack at MAP04-Wormhole. If you want an example of my work you can check out the Father's Day map I made, that's my most recent work. I did create a map once before based on Wormhole, however it was most definitely not vanilla-compatible and was kinda crazy (lotta "different" ideas and concepts incorporated into it)... but I love to play it.

Little more info on me:
I been mapping for a little over 5 years now, but am still somewhat new to this community; I have only been active here for a couple months. That said, my detailing in particular still needs work, but I learn quick. I have been missing using stuff that catches the eye and provides good contrast to the typically dull Doom textures (the overused browns, grays, and greens). The community project Mutiny has been a great learning experience; especially getting to work as a team with more experienced mappers. I haven't mapped but one map (and it was my very first one done solely out of ignorance) for vanilla and the two I'm doing for Mutiny are limit-removing, but I understand most of the limitations of vanilla.

Here's a link to the Father's Day map if you are considering me as a mapper and want to look at something I've made:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pyl4450sjjf6uba/FthrsDv4.zip?dl=0

Since this map was made in a certain way with replay value as a primary goal, I'd highly recommend reading the text file, as well as not play on UV the first time through (it's very hard. HMP was designed as a typical hard-mode and HNTR like a normal-mode. There is no easy mode because the repla-blah-blah-not-pertintent).

Also, it's for zDoom *ducks a tomato* and Doom 2 is the iWad.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to this and hope to help any way I can.

Cheers y'all

Yeah you're welcome to submit a map for this, although it's worth bearing in mind that we already have Wormholding (MAP12), part of which revisits the Wormhole map from Evilution. While I'm personally not opposed to sequel maps, I'd like to keep the number of them in this WAD quite low, and two tributes to the same map I'm definitely against. If you're still interested, I'll send you the texture pack.

Jaws: Probably best you contact those people you've got in mind, if you haven't already. I'm rarely involved with projects, so I can't really think of any individuals myself.

Yes both me and Eris didn't like Decay very much. I found it to be way to cramped & very linear, while Eris didn't even get all the way through it. We are moving it to Convilution, but if you would like to use your map elsewhere feel free, it's your map. If you want you can still make another map for this project, I do like some of your work & it's obvious form your mapping style that you really like Evilution so I'd hate to cut you out completely.

Yeah, I've played your Nova 2 map josh and that was pretty cool, so I know you can map, so feel free to make another map for this. I just regret I didn't notify you of this immediately, sorry about that :s

As I said in the Mutiny thread, I'll be essentially AFK from the 29th August to 15th September. I've not got as much done with my MAP21 as I'd like in the last few days and won't have a first draft ready for tomorrow. Luckily this project has a few empty slots and I'll have plenty of time to pick this up on my return. So when you don't hear from me for a couple of weeks, you now know why :)

Darn, I guess Lithosphere didn't make the cut after all, huh? It was my first serious mapping effort, so I'm very open to suggestions if there's something I can do to salvage it. Or heck, if someone else wants to take a shot at it, go ahead. (Though half of the map was Melon's work, so I can understand if him no longer being on the project prevents it from being used.)

And I'm available for testing again if anyone needs me (despite Xaser's subtle suggestion that I don't really know what I'm doing, as I was an old-TNT2 tester after all).

Now that my home situation has stabilized and that Ty Halderman has unfortunately passed, I feel this project finally needs to reach a conclusion, and I want to help.

Welcome back!
Lithosphere had some nice ideas and a nice atmosphere, but we felt it sort of went to pot a bit once you got to the lava cavern. Unless I was just blind, it became seemingly impossible to navigate later on too. I guess if you really want to you could try rebuilding it up from the start area and that first underground bit with the water.

Oh and I'd be more than happy to have you back on the team for testing. I'm not sure it was really bad testing that was the problem, or rather tester's giving feedback then nothing really happening based on that. But, I wasn't there for that, so that could be completely wrong.

Indeed, a lot of people seemed to have trouble figuring out how to escape from the lava bridge area. I felt it was the centerpiece of the map and I'd really hate to get rid of it, so I guess there's little I can do. I'm a big fan of TeamTNT, and if you've played Evilution, Icarus and especially Eternal Doom, having environmental puzzles that leave you stumped is a recurring element of those level packs, and I felt Revilution was missing that. I tried injecting some of that back in, but I guess it's just too "mid-90's" for people to stand.

Well, either way, I can still test the other maps. Just PM me whenever you need me.

It's a bit surprising to see most of Kyka's maps removed or in reserve, since I thought they were practically the whole reason for this project's existence.

Not Jabba said:

It's a bit surprising to see most of Kyka's maps removed or in reserve, since I thought they were practically the whole reason for this project's existence.

Before the split, Kyka pretty much carried TNT2. The majority of work actually being done seemed to be his, and this project is a rather a continuation of that, not just a rejects WAD. He wants this project to be successful as much as everyone else, and knew that maps would likely be cut out in order for that to happen.

In regards to some (or many) of the maps being too big, I am happy to remove some (or possibly all, haha) of the maps
[...]
but in regards to this mapset, I am not gonna maintain attachments to maps, no matter how much work I have put into them. If it needs to go, then it needs to go.

Seriously, if you took the really cool setpieces out of a kyka map and build around that, you could get a couple of really cool maps. It even happened in the original TNT so there's precedent. That CUBICAL corpse gallery is rad

I will say tho, that being a TNT style project the more room made for contributors the better. One person shouldn't have their works dominate a maplist in a TNT project.

wow excellent music in that video.

so what's with kyka, did he leave? hope he's ok and doesn't disappear like death-destiny or who that was who made "dark plutonia" all himself and then vanished.

Kyka and I both love the Drake O'Brian(?) maps from Evilution, so a lot of his maps were made in that style. I'd prefer 29 to largely stay as the long journey that it is, as it feels like a penultimate Drake map.

Also Eris, sorry about what happened on that slack channel with the doom channel where you got it touch with me about Revilution stuff, I moved house and lost internet for quite some time, and the entire place got torn apart in my absence -_-

Nice to see you again btw, Megamur :)

Glad you're still here as well, Ragnor.

The sheer scale of Viridian Twilight (or whatever it ends up being called) is quite engrossing, though I admit to being wary of the potential z_malloc errors the map can cause, which makes me wonder if it could stand to be trimmed down. Many of Kyka's maps would do well to have an area or two excised in order to pick up the pace a bit, or at least have some of the less significant hallways and such eliminated and the more interesting rooms condensed together.

I should definitely apologize for me making this decision after so much time (especially after yall got in contact with me more recently), but I'm gonna go ahead and drop out of my slot. just not enough interest in making it, I suppose D: I hope Kyka is ok though...

Stuff like that does make me worry. Does anyone know him in person? Makes me wonder how many people disappear from the community aren't just uninterested but are physically unable to participate in the community due to illness or ailment. Sometimes I wonder if I were deathly ill, if someone I know would register an account to tell you guys the sad news :/

I wouldn't be surprised if he just felt disheartened by lack of progress with the project or positive feedback from the community and simply stopped coming back. Hopefully his curiosity will eventually get the better of him and he'll see that we're still here.

I remember him saying he got into a relationship, so my guess is mostly that eating his time.

Also Eris, don't forget the credits list thing :p

I'm back and ready to start/carry on with that MAP21 I'm meant to be doing. Look out for that in the next month or so.