Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gardevoir

The Ultimate Doom II : Doom II levels reimagined

Recommended Posts

This is just awesome. All the changes just feel right like a more modern DOOM 2. I really hope you get to finish this.

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, Guardsoul said:

Allow me! My latest contribution for the project: Map 28! (All areas shown here are from the very beginning of the map, lava and crackle coming later!)

01WQEyI.png

 

4Ch948P.png

 

zattFBV.png

 

nPdqRhg.png

 

NgDbn0T.png

 

KrpRdZJ.png

 

6DM2a9u.png

oh fck yes, big mcthankies. I always loved the look of spirit world, especially the white area at the start (with the archvile behind the red pillar) and I can't wait to see how it be in this. It's almost finished!

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/19/2021 at 3:26 AM, TasAcri said:

ow many maps are left for this DOOM II remake to be complete (of the 32?)

 

About 6, if we count everything that's publicly playable and include the map 28 pics that were just posted

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/7/2021 at 8:03 AM, Guardsoul said:

Allow me! My latest contribution for the project: Map 28! (All areas shown here are from the very beginning of the map, lava and crackle coming later!)

 

 

These look pretty cool.  One thing I'm wondering is there different authors for the maps?  The only reason I'm wondering is I just played the first 3 levels, and I hated them, particularly the third.  They were huge and convoluted and labyrinthine in the wrong way.  They took me forever, and the idea of difficulty (on UV) is to have rooms crammed full of dozens of the same low-level enemy.  Then other sections of the maps are totally barren.  It feels like everything the opposite of a good Peterson or Romero level.  It feels like it has many of the ingredients but the execution is way off.  I've never been more bored at shooting hundreds of enemies before because of the lack of variety.  After those 3 levels I was going to never play it again, but I thought I would check back here to see if there are other authors in the pack whose levels I could check out, or if maybe those early ones were kind of "learning" levels and they improve later on.  Because I'd like to play some awesome Doom, but what I saw wasn't it.  

Share this post


Link to post

The first few maps were made as a practice before this level set became a real thing and were some of my earlier levels as well. The mapset will feature levels from 3 different mappers, including me and I'm aware that the original maps stand out since they were designed as standalone levels. The least I can do is make them look better, which I already started to work on and been improving on them slightly every time I puke out another version for testing, but the general idea is that the levels are much bigger and have more things to shoot at.

 

I'll take this criticism into account while trying to change them even more for the future release. Maps 01-16 were all made by me, starting all the way back in like 2014. It's easy to tell how much I've improved by now. I'll try to make them more unique in the future. This mapset is definitely not for everyone and will feature a lot of grind, but the best I can do is create better setpieces and maybe reduce the amount of meatshield to fight against in the earlier levels until bigger guns are introduced.

 

Some people like em, some don't, but maps 01-03 definitely feel dated even for me now, so thank you for pointing it out and please give the rest if the level set another try! I promise it will be worth the time unless you prefer shorter levels that are less exploration based.

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you. :)  I do like large complex levels, but I find that they're only really engaging if the levels use the enemy roster creatively.  Otherwise it's like having a lavish mansion with no furniture, or perhaps several dozen kitchen chairs.  XD I will try more of the pack.  I wonder if I have a good version though I haven't played this wad in a while but I see in the file properties it says it was created Monday, ‎January ‎07, ‎2008, ‏‎9:18:00 AM.  (Which doesn't make sense if you only started in 2014?)   I think I actually got this one in May 2020.  Maybe I should try a more recent version.  I guess the only problem with that is having to warp to level 4 and pistol start haha.

Edited by PistolSlap

Share this post


Link to post

WAIT A SECOND OMFG

I just realized I make a big fucking mistake!

I was talking about Ultimate.wad, which is apparently an ultimate doom 2 wad "justindoom" created by "Justin Lloyd".  But this thread is a different wad which I also happen to have lol (the version I have is "ultdoom2-dv2.84.wad")

 

So I booted this one up and actually, I remember that I love it!  Although I have never quite played it as intended.  I always use it with a series of Duke 3D mods, and it makes it so awesome, the way the enemies translate makes it a whole different ballgame.  (If anyone wants to try it I included a zip file with all the mods, some instructions below.  Although I made that zip file for a friend a while back, so it will have an older version of this wad.)

 

Anyway man sorry about that.  I'll have to find that other one and make my original complaints there.

Nice job on this one though man, haha. Sorry about that. 

 

 

DN3Doom with the essential texture swap mod, a sprite shadow mod, and a full music swap mod. I'm sure you know all this but just extract rar into gzdoom folder, move the contents of "Duke_SiN_mod" folder into the gzdoom folder, then drag "SpriteShadow v1.9.pk3", "ultdoom2-dv2.84.wad", "Duke_Nukem3D_FullMusics.wad", and "DN3DooM.pk3" onto the gzdoom exe.

 

mediafire.com/file/7yedfyzifeamm9p/DN3DOOM_+_addons.rar/file

Share this post


Link to post

I was expecting it to be Doom 2 without the Super Shotgun, Megasphere and the Doom 2 monsters. Great looking maps anyway

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, PistolSlap said:

WAIT A SECOND OMFG

I just realized I make a big fucking mistake!

I was talking about Ultimate.wad, which is apparently an ultimate doom 2 wad "justindoom" created by "Justin Lloyd".  But this thread is a different wad which I also happen to have lol (the version I have is "ultdoom2-dv2.84.wad")

 

So I booted this one up and actually, I remember that I love it!  Although I have never quite played it as intended.  I always use it with a series of Duke 3D mods, and it makes it so awesome, the way the enemies translate makes it a whole different ballgame.  (If anyone wants to try it I included a zip file with all the mods, some instructions below.  Although I made that zip file for a friend a while back, so it will have an older version of this wad.)

 

Anyway man sorry about that.  I'll have to find that other one and make my original complaints there.

Nice job on this one though man, haha. Sorry about that. 

 

 

DN3Doom with the essential texture swap mod, a sprite shadow mod, and a full music swap mod. I'm sure you know all this but just extract rar into gzdoom folder, move the contents of "Duke_SiN_mod" folder into the gzdoom folder, then drag "SpriteShadow v1.9.pk3", "ultdoom2-dv2.84.wad", "Duke_Nukem3D_FullMusics.wad", and "DN3DooM.pk3" onto the gzdoom exe.

 

mediafire.com/file/7yedfyzifeamm9p/DN3DOOM_+_addons.rar/file

Ah. :)

Share this post


Link to post

So I started playing this pack again, but this time I didn't use the Duke 3D mod, instead I went with brutal doom.  I used to be very much against gameplay mods like assault rifles and machine pistols and hand grenades and such, I thought it compromised the spirit of the game.  But I thought the brutal gibs were cool so I tried that.  But when I discovered I couldn't disable all the new weapons (like the machine pistol) I decided to just go the other direction and dive into all the absurdity.  And I'm glad I did, it's totally nuts!  And man I don't think this map pack was built with brutal doom in mind LMAO.  It literally makes the end shitfest in The Crusher impossible on harder difficulties.  I had to cheat to beat it, actually just by using the invisibility powerup.  Who knew that one would actually be useful?  The monsters pretty much ignored me and started fighting each other haha.  Are the Evil Doomguys part of brutal doom or part of your mod?  They fucking suck man, worst enemies in the entire game, they compact my feces every time they're onscreen.  But even so, this is great :)  One funny thing is that at some point the doomguy icon glitched and was stuck in the grimace he makes when he gets hit, 100% of the time.  I thought that was very appropriate for how I was feeling during that part of the level.

Share this post


Link to post

The screenshots look very good and I like the idea behind this, but I am a bit confused about the name, the original Ultimate Doom was not a remake, but just a re-release with extra episode.

Well, id is not going to make real UD2 anyway, so no big deal.

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/2/2016 at 2:56 PM, Gardevoir said:

1) The Blue Key is hidden inside the 'Clockwise' random teleport room. It's fully optional, though.
2) I already made it hopefully slightly easier in the latest version. It was indeed a bit too much for most of the people.

 

I don't know how to access the blue key.  I had to use iddt to find it and I see its in a secret area in the teleport hallways, but I've gone through the whole level and I can't figure out how to legitimately unlock that area without just using noclip to get it. 

 

and what challenge is that guy talking about?

 

really cool teleport hallways btw.  a bit tedious to get through but a cool idea

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/8/2021 at 10:14 AM, PistolSlap said:

So I started playing this pack again, but this time I didn't use the Duke 3D mod, instead I went with brutal doom.  I used to be very much against gameplay mods like assault rifles and machine pistols and hand grenades and such, I thought it compromised the spirit of the game.  But I thought the brutal gibs were cool so I tried that.  But when I discovered I couldn't disable all the new weapons (like the machine pistol) I decided to just go the other direction and dive into all the absurdity.  And I'm glad I did, it's totally nuts!  And man I don't think this map pack was built with brutal doom in mind LMAO.  It literally makes the end shitfest in The Crusher impossible on harder difficulties.  I had to cheat to beat it, actually just by using the invisibility powerup.  Who knew that one would actually be useful?  The monsters pretty much ignored me and started fighting each other haha.  Are the Evil Doomguys part of brutal doom or part of your mod?  They fucking suck man, worst enemies in the entire game, they compact my feces every time they're onscreen.  But even so, this is great :)  One funny thing is that at some point the doomguy icon glitched and was stuck in the grimace he makes when he gets hit, 100% of the time.  I thought that was very appropriate for how I was feeling during that part of the level.

Could be that they're replacing SS Nazis, the mapset uses those with a combination of dehacked to add a bonus zombie variant into some levels. Gameplay mods are not recommended unless you make a patch to replace the SS Nazi with something like a shotgunner or chaingunner to balance things out.

On 9/9/2021 at 3:30 PM, PistolSlap said:

 

I don't know how to access the blue key.  I had to use iddt to find it and I see its in a secret area in the teleport hallways, but I've gone through the whole level and I can't figure out how to legitimately unlock that area without just using noclip to get it. 

 

and what challenge is that guy talking about?

 

really cool teleport hallways btw.  a bit tedious to get through but a cool idea

There are several switches you need to press that open several doors in the teleport maze, like 3 or 4 before you can reach the blue key. They are supposed to be confusing and open random areas within the maze, if you walk through it counterclockwise the teleporters won't work so you can explore those freely and try to find em all.

Share this post


Link to post

I got up to Dead Simple and got my butt spanked on HMP with just vanilla weapons. It was pretty cool up to that point. I'll have to take another crack at it cuz its been like 5 months since I tried it.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm doing save files before the end of a level for archival purposes. I'm aware though that the wad is still not complete and 6 more levels need to be made.

 

I'm wondering if my saves will work in the finished version.

 

Btw, i'm loving the re-imagined maps so far. First couple of levels not so much but 3 to 6 (haven't got further yet, i'm doing 100% secret runs) were great. Level 6 (Crusher) was pretty amazing.

 

The only mod i use is an edited (by me) version of beautiful DOOM and it works nicely.

Edited by TasAcri

Share this post


Link to post

I finished the WAD and came back here. I really loved those maps, it felt like it was "Doom 2 but better" hee hee. Can't wait for an update, I'm cheering you up for this good job guys

Share this post


Link to post

This completely passed me by but looks amazing! I don't generally play WIP WADs but really looking forward to the finished product.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, blackthorn said:

This completely passed me by but looks amazing! I don't generally play WIP WADs but really looking forward to the finished product.

 

Play it now, this mapset is superb work!

Share this post


Link to post

Alrighty folks, Map22 has been added to the mapset, Map01 received a major rehaul in terms of visuals to keep up with the rest of the mapset and many others have received minor improvements. There have been also more multiplayer exclusive monsters added for people who enjoy playing this set online and whatnot. Have fun folks and lemme know what you think of the new level. Map21 should be available hopefully soon too.

 

[DOWNLOAD]

Share this post


Link to post

Great work, but how do I get access to the weapon (I think it's a plasma rifle) that's in some basement room toward the beginning of "the waste tunnels" level? You can see it at the beginning but are stopped by iron bars, after clearing the level much later I got a glimpse of it again when standing to a blue skull switch and figured there was an elevating/descending platform next to it and found it, again toward the beginning of the level, but it won't drop me in the basement when I stand on it, nor could I find any switch. There's a stone next to it that's white and I thought it was a hidden switch and tried to shoot it but no dice. 

Do the authors of the levels have some kind of special DoomWiki to give us a hand with things like these?

Share this post


Link to post

Pretty sure most people on DW use the level editor to check for progression and secrets. That way you'll know very quickly how to get where you want - or if something is just broken.

Share this post


Link to post

I have been playing this WAD for a while now. Very enjoyable overall.

 

Keep up the good work.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×