Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gardevoir

The Ultimate Doom II : Doom II levels reimagined

This is very sexy. Quickly skimmed through the MAP01 and it's very retro yet fresh. I will wait until this mapset is finished to play experience it seamlessly. Is there any completion estimate?

I am a pretty slow mapper but I got few friends helping me with this now. If university won't throw too much work on me, I suppose it should be complete next year.

Loved Doom 2 and tried this out. Halfway through MAP04 and I've got to say that it's really good. It has enough expansion and differences to be its own mapset but has enough similarities to still be Doom 2. It's amazing and I hope you finish it soon.

Just had a blast through the first few maps, cool stuff. Fun spotting all the original features.

Fun so far. Looked inside the wad. I like the Commander Keen replacement. It's cute, but is that just a placeholder? If not, please finish the Dehacked. It's currently not destructible, which means you can't exit MAP32.

And I'm not sure of the purpose of the Dehacked SS. It looks like you've replaced all the sprites, but the behavior seems the same, so couldn't you just as easily have replaced the SS sounds and avoided using Dehacked at all?

Looking forward to the complete thing.

Since this is not complete and Map32 will be different, it kinda is a placeholder right now (I already got some plans for it). As to WolfSS, I had to edit Dehacked just a little bit because this Zombie guy has less sprites than SSWolf. His firing mechanism is also slightly different (edited tics). Therefore, I could not evade using Dehacked unless I'd decide to not change the SSWolf at all... oh well.

About Map01 not having too many shells... well, it is Map01 after all! You gotta pewpew through it.

Edit: I also forgot to mention I turned DeadLostSoul into a decoration through Dehack too. WHOOPS

I LOVE IT WAY TOO MUCH that this is PRACTICALLY A PROPER DOOM 2 REMAKE. I hope the same will be done for doom 1 and final doom.

After playing through the first 5 levels I saw that the difficulty... REALLY needed to be lowered, maybe by 15-20%?

I got to map08 before getting distracted and didnt get round to coming back, but thought I should mention stuff that is putting me off going further with this wad.

Its really well done in terms of expanding on the original maps and modernising the look while keeping some nostalgia for the originals. However I found the gameplay to be a bit grindy - you have a similar weapon progression to doom 2 but with a large increase in the number of monsters to kill and map size this can make it a bit tedious, and even when the rocket launcher appears the ammo is too minimal to make good use of it even though it is really needed with the number of mid tier monsters to chew through. The thing to remember with doom is that adding more monsters doesn't necessarily add more fun unless you can kill them faster.

The difficulty seemed a bit high as well, the final room in map06 for example has a massive hitscan ambush with zero cover, which I found impossible without exiting the room and shooting through the doorway. And the start of that map is way too harsh, you can't work out a switch hunt puzzle when 4 masterminds are shooting at you.

Its a cool set of maps, I just wish I had the tools to blast through it faster.

mouldy said:

I got to map08 before getting distracted and didnt get round to coming back, but thought I should mention stuff that is putting me off going further with this wad.

Its really well done in terms of expanding on the original maps and modernising the look while keeping some nostalgia for the originals. However I found the gameplay to be a bit grindy - you have a similar weapon progression to doom 2 but with a large increase in the number of monsters to kill and map size this can make it a bit tedious, and even when the rocket launcher appears the ammo is too minimal to make good use of it even though it is really needed with the number of mid tier monsters to chew through. The thing to remember with doom is that adding more monsters doesn't necessarily add more fun unless you can kill them faster.

The difficulty seemed a bit high as well, the final room in map06 for example has a massive hitscan ambush with zero cover, which I found impossible without exiting the room and shooting through the doorway. And the start of that map is way too harsh, you can't work out a switch hunt puzzle when 4 masterminds are shooting at you.

Its a cool set of maps, I just wish I had the tools to blast through it faster.

Honestly, I'd disagree a lot on the gameplay progression. I really enjoyed being forced to use the weapons I tend to ignore as it made gameplay far more interesting. But then again I enjoy really tough maps, the only complaint I have with MAP06 is that the four Masterminds are on crushers but I think the central area should also have a crusher. Played so far till halfway through MAP10 and my only complaint might be that the new Zombie Elites seem slightly too fast in firing. I'd make them a bit more bulky instead cause they often seem to get caught up infighting.

I do a lot of testing to see how the game is balanced and what is not. I play through every map with ammo I get from other maps and pistol starts to balance weapon and ammo placement. I even do shitty speedruns to decide PAR times for maps. So yeah, perhaps I try to balance this under myself but neither of my friends had a problem with difficulty or gameplay so far. If you find amount of monsters to be too big and want to progress through the maps faster, pick a lower difficulty setting or play online with friends, although I think that levels are designed nicely enough to keep the player busy shooting monsters while enjoying the exploration of big maps.

Once I complete this mappack, I'll play through all of the maps to try to provide the best amount of ammunition on levels and try to balance things perfectly. About the difficulty... yeah, that's just me but I also like difficult mappacks that are not slaughterfests. My point here is that I won't give the player too much ammo for the best weapons in order to balance the gameplay and make it hard while it is not throwing 50 revenants at you at single moment.

About Elite Zombiemen, I'll see what I can do about their behavior. It is a very nice suggestion Cacatou and I might increase their HP while lowering their shot speed or maybe reworking it completely.

Took your advice and dropped the difficulty to HMP for map08, was going ok til I got to the timed catwalks. No way I'll ever be able to do that. Unless there is an alternative way out I'm gonna have to quit there, sorry.

Welcome to my mind of evil ideas how to make your life sad. It may look very difficult, but in reality this thing is possible to nail even without straferunning. On first one, just go straight. The second is the hardest because you need to maneuver a little bit and the last one is a leap of faith, just hold straight and hope you end up landing on the right spot. Give it a few tries because it's really not that hard. People usually take 4 to 6 turns to beat it. I am sorry, but I'm just a bad sonofdabitch sometimes. I might just redo that part someday because while it looked like a good idea, indeed it might be too crazy for some people, but eh... I need to know what more people think about it first.

OKay I just played through this thing to the end of episode 1 and I love it. Any idea when the rest of doom 2 will be done?

Well, we might have clashed a couple of times here and there in the past but that doesn't make this WAD any less fantastic. Well done, sir! Maps have great detailing and match their counterparts feel perfectly. Secrets are well done too, match the classic ones while not being obvious at all.

I've tried this WAD, and I like this "extended" architecture and the level progression, too. I am curious about how you will make the industrial zone and the hell zone.

It's a pretty good WAD.

Map25 was pretty damn cool. It had a nice feel to it, and the perma damaging floors were less annoying than expected. I must say I also appreciate adding an SSG to map10 and map11, it made them THAT much more enjoyable from pistol start.

I've found a couple of bugs in map28. Nothing very serious, a HOM in the big cave area with the plasma rifle (I could post a screenie if you don't find it yourself, but it's pretty easy to see), and the damaging floor in the pit near the rocket launcher doesn't do damage and is inescapable. Also, the BFG secret is weird, I couldn't find any clues to it being there. Is it intentional? I remember the wall being different in the original map.

I'm surprised that the title of this project doesn't get complaints like the previous title my consumed earth CP did.

--------------

This is a truthful remake of the doom2 maps, I like how you gave some of the maps an outdoor area to start in. The symbols in the door puzzle in MAP05 was impressive.