Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
meapineapple

Deus Doom: The Illuminati did it

The Third screenshot looks like something straight out of Final Doom, but otherwise, this wad looks well done from what i can see, I'll have to check it out on my other PC in a bit, I'll talk more when I'm finished.

Here's an FDA of map five. Decided to record at that point.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/mfubt7w3upup3hn/dd5_fda_rdwpa.lmp

It's technically over when that last chaingunner is killed -- the rest is me missing the last switch through a caco corpse. It seems like some of the slime is damaging and some isn't.

I liked the maps overall. #2 and #4 are probably the best (the caco trap in map 4 is the best fight of the maps I've played). #3 is too easily campable -- e.g., the last demon/imp traps, you just run back to the starting area and alternately let them infight and pick them off. Trap doors opening in places people will retreat to, or maybe bars closing behind the player to prevent retreating at all, would add more bite to the map.

I'm loving the first screenshot in particular. You didn't have to fill the room up with props and panels and yet everything looks detailed, true to Dues Ex and definitely aesthetically appealing

Here's a small update.

- Added conspiratorial title and intermission pics
- Newly declassified intro music
- No more leaky demos to interrupt the confidential main menu
- Secretive tweaks and fixes to maps
- Every map now has at least one Evil Eye. Find one on every map and win the game!

Nice simple little maps, here are my FDAs for all of them (I've played v1.1). The unique texture theme is a strong side of the wad, and it's definitely a good thing that custom music was included. There are a few common weaknesses too: Prevailing linearity. Switch hunts where it's often not clear what each switch did, so that I needed to re-explore the map to find out - it would be better if the function was always immediately clear. Search for secrets = humping random walls, it's better when they're subtly marked somehow. Some fights against high-HP monsters (or hordes of imps) weren't really challenging and therefore got tedious to endure. Finally, most maps didn't allow the player to make choices how to approach the gameplay, for example there was usually only one strong weapon available and forced to be used.

MAP01 - The Caco horde falls into the category of being tedious to fight.
MAP02 - Stuck Sergeant inside an Imp. A bit too many HKs.
MAP03 - The secret with Medikit opens a door up into the sky, a lowering lift would look more natural in place of the door.
MAP04 - The first Caco horde was fine (not trivial to beat), the second Caco horde was somewhat tedious to fight again. A HOM-filled wall appeared and blocked me from progressing further.
MAP05 - Too little health, although it worked well for the sake of challenge, I didn't actually mind it.
MAP06 - A bit too many monsters while the map allowed easy camping. The door could be marked by blue trims to indicate that it needs a blue key.
MAP07 - Good change of pace. But camping was easily possible, which degrades the challenge.
MAP08 - Plasmagun in a side corridor - not fair to players who chose the other way. The switch that released the first Archvile didn't animate properly. The last Barons literally asked to be skipped rather than fought against, which I think makes them needless to exist at all.
MAP09 - Relatively good. Still easy to camp.

scifista42 said:

Nice simple little maps

Thanks very much for the feedback!

I think I'm going to do something else quite similar to this next and I'll keep in mind that I should make a few nonlinear maps. I understand that focusing on just one or two weapons won't appeal to everybody but it was a theme I wanted to experiment with.

On switch hunts: There are only a few times I can think of where the effect of a switch isn't readily apparent, and in those cases I felt the map was suitably small that the player exploring to find the effect was okay. This being especially the case in MAP04. But, of course, I'll keep the criticism in mind.

On secrets: True, many of the secrets involve bumping only slightly conspicuous walls. However, there are quite a lot of secrets in the wad and a fair number of them are handled very differently.

Couldn't tell you what I liked or why I liked it, but that was really enjoyable to play through!

3 hours ago, Dentonman said:

Did you remove the downloads? I really wanted to check this out.

I too would like to play this, being a huge Deus Ex fan!

Looks they are lost to the mists of time and no one will ever get to see them again. However, because they contained Deus Ex textures, I am OK with the fact that they were never preserved on the /idgames archive, because then that would be copyright infringement, and we couldn't have that.

On lundi 26 mars 2018 at 6:57 PM, Linguica said:

that would be copyright infringement, and we couldn't have that.

Heh.

Interested people can look here.