Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lutz

Doom II - Hellscape :: BETA TESTERS WANTED

I'm extremely impressed by your work, I don't say that often. It makes ids version, look amateurish, compared to yours. The detail & everything looks both chilling & awe inspiring. Keep up the grand work, Lutz! B-)

I appreciate the kind words, folks.

Astral-Doomer said:

It makes ids version, look amateurish, compared to yours

Standing on the shoulders of giants, really. Not only do I have the luxury of starting with a general layout (and can therefore spend more time detailing as opposed to mapping), I am also taking FULL advantage of the limit-removing properties of modern ports as well as the convenience of modern editing tools. Regardless, I appreciate the sentiment.

That's amazing! You have in one screenshot more sectors than in all levels I've done together lol Still, these SS are not only about pure detailing, but making everything work together and look harmonizing, without being polluted. Again, amazing work!

Salt-Man Z said:

Holy hell. You, uh, wouldn't mind remaking maps 1-20 while you're at it, would you? 'Cause that looks absolutely amazing, and now I want the entire game remade like that.

I totally agree with this post.

This looks amazing, so I've put this onto the "play immediately as soon as it is released" pile!

Like some of you geezers, I am old enough (38 this year) to remember Doom and Doom 2 when they were first released, and were considered the absolute pinnacle of immersive computer graphics; by now, of course, they have definitely relinquished that title. Nonetheless, as I meander through this exercise, it is occasionally shocking just how simple the original levels appear, especially when compared to my memory. I don't want to belabor and old point -- there are plenty of memes about how people *remember* games looking vice how they actually look -- but it can be quite startling. In some sense, this whole effort is an attempt to recreate the levels as I remember them.

Case in point, here are some screenshots from the original MAP24 ("The Chasm") and my interpretations (i.e. "memories") thereof:
1a) DM2:
1b) Lutz:

2a) DM2:
2b) Lutz:

Plus, bonus shots from my MAP24 replacement (tentatively titled "The Caustic Depths"):

2a) "Photo not found." (EDIT: OK now.)

Other screenshots look very impressive! (which is no surprise in this thread at this point)

Lutz said:

Like some of you geezers, I am old enough (38 this year) to remember Doom and Doom 2 when they were first released, and were considered the absolute pinnacle of immersive computer graphics; by now, of course, they have definitely relinquished that title. Nonetheless, as I meander through this exercise, it is occasionally shocking just how simple the original levels appear, especially when compared to my memory. I don't want to belabor and old point -- there are plenty of memes about how people *remember* games looking vice how they actually look -- but it can be quite startling. In some sense, this whole effort is an attempt to recreate the levels as I remember them.

Case in point, here are some screenshots from the original MAP24 ("The Chasm") and my interpretations (i.e. "memories") thereof:
1a) DM2: http://s1180.photobucket.com/user/chris_lutz/media/Doom%20Screenshots/Doom%20II%20-%20Hellscape/Map24_01.png.html
1b) Lutz: http://s1180.photobucket.com/user/chris_lutz/media/Doom%20Screenshots/Doom%20II%20-%20Hellscape/D2HS24_01.png.html

2a) DM2: http://s1180.photobucket.com/user/chris_lutz/media/Doom%20Screenshots/Doom%20II%20-%20Hellscape/Map24_03.png.html
2b) Lutz: http://s1180.photobucket.com/user/chris_lutz/media/Doom%20Screenshots/Doom%20II%20-%20Hellscape/D2HS24_04.png.html

Plus, bonus shots from my MAP24 replacement (tentatively titled "The Caustic Depths"):
http://s1180.photobucket.com/user/chris_lutz/media/Doom%20Screenshots/Doom%20II%20-%20Hellscape/D2HS24_02.png.html
http://s1180.photobucket.com/user/chris_lutz/media/Doom%20Screenshots/Doom%20II%20-%20Hellscape/D2HS24_03.png.html
http://s1180.photobucket.com/user/chris_lutz/media/Doom%20Screenshots/Doom%20II%20-%20Hellscape/D2HS24_05.png.html

You might be interested in my Doom 2 Map Replacement Project. We are remaking our favorite Doom 2 Maps, the biggest rules are simple: You must show inspiration from the original map.

You ought to check out the thread, we have a bunch of Maps in need of playtesting, and probably some slots opening up if you'd be interested. Your screenshots look great.

The thread is simply called, "Doom 2 Map Replacement Project". Check us out!

Don't think i'd be able to go back to play the Doom II hell levels after playing your version of them, Lutz.

Great atmospheric shoots! I like your design style very much. Always if someone make redesign use tons of slopes and other zdoom stuff. Your map have any new bad textures from for example hexen, heretic and others that not accurate to original DOOM style. Your map have great lighting, structure and atmospere! Is possible to play of some map for now?

To me t
The Spirit World MAP28 is the sole hellish level of Doom. If I'd imagine Hell, It'd look like that. Not to mention that the creepy factor is off the charts and the creepy music...

Your screenshots are great! Looking forward to playing this!

Screenshots of Level 26 "Quarry" (a remake of "Abandoned Mines"):

Random rant: I am very glad I saved this level for last -- it is incredibly slow-going, mostly as a result of working with METAL2 and its derivatives (which in most cases forces all the architecture to basically conform to multiples of 32x32x64), as well as some waffling on my part as to how much "human-ness" to keep in the level. As I said it in my opening post, this level does NOT belong smack in the middle of Hell; it's WAY too terrestrial and clashes horribly (from a theme perspective) with all the other Hell levels (for the record, I would accept that there are mines in Hell, but THIS mine is definitely a human one). So, I am struggling to respect the original while knowing that the levels on either side of this one are in no way "realistic."

Anyway, enjoy.

Lutz said:

Screenshots of Level 26 "Quarry" (a remake of "Abandoned Mines"):

I'm only getting "Site can't be reached".

Wow, this map26 looks absolutely fantabulous! Especially considering how hard the metal* textures are to work with, as you said yourself.