Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NuricGames

Indie Game: Abyrinthus

You're asking people for money, but your site contains very little information about the game, which will make it hard for you to persuade people to want to try the game, let alone to pay money. You would better make a proper presentation for the game, including:

• Genre
  • Style of gameplay
  • Features
  • Scope (estimated game time, number of levels)
  • Engine
  • State of development
  • Full credits (authorship of the game's assets)
  • And probably other important things which I forgot. For example a gameplay video would probably help to make people potentially interested.

So from the look of the screenshots, its a dark game. So dark I need to click the shots to even see what's going on. You need to brighten it up a bit. The green mystic torch doesn't seem to help. Get a light spell or radiant spell to let the player even see if you can't make the game brighter.

Funny thing is as dark as it seems, the walls shine and have a plastic glare that is reminiscent of Walden and the Werewolf or other Unity games.

The enemy models look good, especially compared to the textures. The textures look too smooth, perfect and not gritty enough for what I assume is a dungeon crawler. The enemies are so good that the seem out of place.

Please put up gameplay footage on Youtube or something. Videos help sell games. Also give a few game copies to a few Youtubers that can vouch for the quality of the game.

I am also going to ask did you register an account just for this?

This looks like those greenlight games from a glance. Just saying. I'm not saying it's probably a broken piece of shit but I can tell there are default/bought assets that you didn't make. I'll give it a whirl tomorrow when I have time and record my thoughts on it.

Geo: That green magic torch is actually a magic axe, but like you said the pictures are too dark to see anything. The lighting in that level will be changed. The whole game won't be that dark. I want the lighting to vary for each level. The textures look like they do because that is the sanctuary level, the first level. The shininess of them will change no doubt about that. Gameplay footage will be put up, I'm working on it now. This is the first alpha build so everything is subject to change. Thank you for your input by the way.

No I did not register an account just to expose my game. I am an avid doom player, love all the games, especially doom 64, played that one the most. Been occupied with brutal doom though since I found out about it.

scifista42: Ya, those specifics slipped my mind when creating the page. Thanks for bringing those things up.

SavageCorona: Yes, there are bought assets right at the moment. This is the first alpha build of the game so everything you see could most likely change in later builds.
My game is far from perfect right now, I am not blind to that. With time and dedication I will turn this game into something awesome. I will be waiting to read those thoughts.

SavageCorona: I am sure those bought assets are for placeholder purposes.

I gave it a shot and it's just not a very fun game to me. The level is completely flat and based entirely on walking down the same corridor and is very linear. The combat is poor and it's difficult to land hits in a way you would expect assuming due to small hitboxes. The game itself just gets boring and repetitive very quickly.

Graphics-wise it's decent enough but the theme isn't very consistent. You have the clean white brick environment with torches around which looks a lot like it's made of Lego while you have monsters that would fit more in something like DnD. It would be like if you slapped Quake monsters into Portal's levels. The lighting effects are nice and all but those trees at the start have a pitch-black shadow which doesn't look fantastic or realistic.

Overall it's an average repetitive walk down a corridor with little to no challenge. I would probably wait until you have a more complete product before you release your game even in an alpha state. Sky Rogue is a good example of how you should release alpha products.

Well after the previous poster's review, I had to give it a try.

Anyway, rename your game to something else, a poor initial reception can cripple what anyone thinks about your game in the future. Then when its about finished, rename the game to its true name... or just don't make it available this early to anyone but your friends.

- Default Unity icon.
- New game briefly freezes rather than going to a loading screen.
- When the game is on the pause menu, I can still free look with the mouse.
- Clicking resume in the pause menu with the mouse does nothing. The highlighted menu item back is the same as the text.
- Pressing spacebar in the menu makes a jumping sound even if I'm not jumping.
- None of the menu items work for me, but alt + F4 still closes the game.
- Nothing seems to get me out of the menu. Not P, not clicking something, not Enter, Escape brings me back to the start menu. So I literally cannot play the game. I've tried the mouse, keyboard and 360 controller.
- Even in the start menu I cannot click quit game.

It must be possible to play. Others have played it.

So here's the real problem with releasing so early. Now that I and others have played a game, we won't be rushing back to it. We will feel like we've played it.

Wow, how timely! I recently got back into Angband and whenever I play it I think how awesome it would be if someone made a mod of this game for Doom. It would be a massive undertaking, but utterly awesome. But your game seems like it is similar! Looking forward to checking it out.

EDIT: wasn't able to modify the controls, otherwise the game definitely feels like it should. :) There were some rendering glitches as well, but still enjoyable.

My game is updated, those issues that were there are now gone.

I fixed some minor issues, tweaked the shadows on the first level and tweaked the weapon damage triggers. It's more playable now.

This game isn't perfect right now, I know that, but in due time it will be.

It's a start. But I really don't think you should rush it into the public, before you can say that you yourself think the game is something special. Before that, there's just no reason to do it.

- Still unity logo.
- Controls in the preloader / launcher still have millions of useless and redundant 360 controls with what looks like 12 controller support yet not supported in game.
- Game plays this time.
- Movement is slippery. If I push left or right its accurate, but if I hold left or right and then let go, the player takes an extra step if not two.
- Potted trees everywhere, no grass. Dirt with trees looks like gravel.
- TINY brick floor texture. Take a stand on a brick texture in real life. Then take a stand on this brick texture in game. The bricks are tiny here.
- Flame particles don't look like flames, you can do better.
- Extremely tall walls with nothing interesting. Sure there are flame pots, but there needs to be a tall walkway or layers or doors or something. Right now its just an ugly narrow cooridoor.
- The second cooridoor does it proper with a staircase and some sort of under hallway. However. within the first 3 areas, 2 of which are hallways.
- Wow the object popin is bad. Fix that. Get that stuff pre loaded.
- Mish mash of tiny wall bricks with giant cinder blocks.
- Area 4 = a hallway 75% of the game is hallway now.
- In the 4th hallway there is a light coming from underneath the wall. Its not a secret, just a glitch.
- Hallway simulator game needs a run button. Run + stamina I guess to balance it out or less hallway. What's that there is a run button? I barely feel it.
- I'll bargan with you, 1 short hallway with 0 turns and then a new open room with enemies. Right now each hallway is between 5 - 10 turns with no enemies. The trap was a nice touch at bend 5 out of 10.
- Combat doesn't feel good. Enemies need to fall down faster.
- Hallway bend 7 lets say with 3 enemies that all merge together as one has a divit in the wall that looks like a secret, but I assume its just a glitch. This divit goes up nearly the height of the wall.
- Supports at the bend of the hallways don't actually touch the walls when they should. There's a narrow gap between the wall when I feel like there shouldn't be. Plus there's no actual reason for there to be supports on the outside.
- These hallways need arches, bridges, doors to other rooms, little coves for enemies to pop out of and for the player to explore. Its literally a forward path with turns.
- I died and clicking restart or main menu both do nothing. alt + F4 get me out.

GOALS FOR YOU
- Teleports, because there's no save or load function yet, testers need teleports.
- Shutter doors that stay closed until all of the enemies are done. I can literally just run through the hallways easily avoiding enemies.
- Put numbers by the potions or something to remind people of controls. Such as F1 = controls. Stick it on the screen somewhere for testing purposes.
- Less hallways, more rooms. A lot more rooms. For every bend in a hallway, put a room or a courtyard.
- Life and death commands. If I want to die, I should be able to hit a key for testing purposes. If I want to respawn or get full health, I should hit a key for test purposes.
- Make a way to see the options without going to the main menu which restarts the game.
- Make sure all of the menus work. There aren't that many menus, but if I'm having trouble with them.
- Play your game. Really. That way you find all of the bugs and errors and if you feel wow that area is really dark or wow I'm getting bored of my own game, do something to make it cool.
- If you aren't creative, grab a dice and roll it:
- 1 = make a room
- 2 = make a courtyard
- 3 = make a dungeon room with many rooms
- 4 = make a shop and it doesn't have to be functional
- 5 = make a pretty area
- 6 = make a staircase to a higher or lower area
- Then you roll the dice again:
- 1 = a battle!
- 2 = someone needs saving from monsters, make the AI attack the person. Kill the enemies before the person dies and a reward appears. You don't even need to program a thank you.
- 3 = secret. The room looks empty and normal enough, but if you touch a wall, it opens up.
- 4 = someone to talk with or at least a non threat
- 5 = A shrine
- 6 = An item or set of things to collect

The object pop-in is odd. When I'm in front of a door the objects in the area visible through the door don't render, but their shadows and lights do. If I move back from the door the objects flicker in and out and eventually settle on staying visible if I move back far enough. It feels like a feature designed to speed up rendering that's both broken and backwards.

I managed to get my guy's armour and weapons to de-sync with the player model once, Looked hilarious, but I couldn't duplicate it.

I don't know if it's just my colour blindness, but I can't read highlighted menu items at all.

A co-op dungeon-crawling FPS is a good idea. So far this feels like a project one would use to learn the tools, though. Geo's comments about the map are a good place to start. This needs lots of work, and lots of planning to go with/before that work.