Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mew251

does exist another source port like edge ?

Hi all does exist another source port like edge, that we can add new monsters and things with multiplayer support ?

Could you please specify more precisely what kind of features you would like to use? EDGE is as far as I know the only source port that will let you add entirely new things to the game (as opposed to substituting present things, which you can do with most BOOM-derivatives as they support DEH/BEX).

All major source ports seem to have working multiplayer support.

Fredrik said:

Could you please specify more precisely what kind of features you would like to use? EDGE is as far as I know the only source port that will let you add entirely new things to the game (as opposed to substituting present things, which you can do with most BOOM-derivatives as they support DEH/BEX).

All major source ports seem to have working multiplayer support.

I would like to add new monsters and that's all :) but I want multiplayer support too to play with my friends

Lament said:

Huh, where's my first post?

Same place as that one.

Currently, EDGE is the only source port with a system that lets you add new things to Doom, but it lacks multiplayer support. I've heard that Randy (the coder of Zdoom) has said something about a DDF like thing for Zdoom. I don't think that DDF (or a system like it) would be good for multiplayer, because you would need the same .whatever files (unless originals were in the port's .wad file for multiplayer games).

Yeah, I really hope Randy will implement "DoomScript" as the next feature after 1.23 Final is released. Although I am not a programmer, I saw something interesting when I checked the source code the last time - Randy has deleted the old 1000-entry dehacked style lookup table for all object frames and moved the monster/thing info to separate files/classes. Quake 2 style. I believe this is because he wants to add the Hexen/Heretic support in a clean, non-fugdy way, but it also means that he has set up an architecture that will more easily allow you to change and update monsters (.dll:s?) in the future, with just a few expansions to the code. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Saying that there's no other port with DDF like scripting and network support is wrong. There is one - Vavoom! It features a very powerfull scripting language (similar to UnrealScript) and pure client/server multiplayer.