Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Patrol1985

Classic DOOM games available on gog.com starting today!

Loving the Spec suggestions:

Processor: 1.8 GHz Processor
Memory: 512MB RAM (1 GB recommended)
Graphics: 3D graphics card compatible with DirectX 7 (compatible with DirectX 9 recommended)
Hard Drive: 2GB HDD

Wow. That's some pretty powerful Dooming right there!

Also, excuse my ignorance, but what engine are these games running on? Is it a flavour of PRBoom?

So do I KillingMachine, and it happened on my birthday too! :D

Average - I have no idea, there is no info on the site.

Average said:

Also, excuse my ignorance, but what engine are these games running on? Is it a flavour of PRBoom?

Based on those suggested requirements it's probably safe to assume GOG has packaged them up to run with DOSbox. That's usually the way they handle DOS games.

Cool to see these on there, DRM free is always nice. Granted that doesn't really apply since we all use source ports anyway.

Would've been cool if they included No Rest For The Living too, but alas. Also not the best sale price... but hey, I doubt anybody on here needs to buy Doom again.

PsychoGoatee said:

Cool to see these on there, DRM free is always nice. Granted that doesn't really apply since we all use source ports anyway.

Would've been cool if they included No Rest For The Living too, but alas. Also not the best sale price... but hey, I doubt anybody on here needs to buy Doom again.

The thing is, the Steam version is also DRM free so that's hardly a selling point. Furthermore, the GOG version lacks Master Levels (from what I've read, perhaps I missed it). Still, who knows - maybe newer titles will also make it to GOG and be DRM free (BFG perhaps).

Patrol1985 said:

The thing is, the Steam version is also DRM free so that's hardly a selling point. Furthermore, the GOG version lacks Master Levels (from what I've read, perhaps I missed it). Still, who knows - maybe newer titles will also make it to GOG and be DRM free (BFG perhaps).

Master Levels comes with Doom II which is also packaged with Final Doom. Steam is still a form of DRM.

I love GOG.com, too bad buying the same game two times or more is kinda redundant. :P

I hope they'll get in more id Software games or other Bethesda properties. I have yet to give Quake 4 a shot.

Honestly the biggest thing about this is that Redguard and Battlespire are now available again and they just work; but not everyone here will really care much about that.

One good thing to note is that Quake gets its CD soundtrack, something that Steam never bothered to do.

Fun fact: the Doom Bible is part of the downloadable bonus items for Ultimate Doom. For the other id games it's just the game manual.

Now the question is to see what the follow-up will be. Will we get Doom 3? They'd likely go for a bundle offering of the original release with ROE + the BFG edition (I mean, that's what they did for the Star Wars: X-Wing/TIE Fighter series and I don't imagine that Disney is any easier to deal with than Bethesda). Will we get Doom 2016?

Patrol1985 said:

The thing is, the Steam version is also DRM free so that's hardly a selling point. Furthermore, the GOG version lacks Master Levels (from what I've read, perhaps I missed it).

As Cyanosis said, the Doom II + Final Doom pack on GOG also contains the Master Levels.

Cyanosis said:

Also Final DOOM already has its yellow key card patch, and uses proper text strings unlike Steam's version.

Does GZDoom fix those things automatically? I will buy the gog DooMs anyway, just because its gog .. and DooM, but would be nice to know if i can play the Steam IWADs with the right textscreens (yes thats important to me) and without a missing key until i have a little bit of money left over to buy the gog versions. :)

Average said:

Processor: 1.8 GHz Processor
Memory: 512MB RAM (1 GB recommended)
Graphics: 3D graphics card compatible with DirectX 7 (compatible with DirectX 9 recommended)
Hard Drive: 2GB HDD

What O_o

DMGUYDZ64 said:

What O_o

GOG are probably using Dosbox for this release. And you need a reasonable PC to run Doom fullspeed in Dosbox.

Patrol1985 said:

Quake has the soundtracks?! I think I'll get it then

Due to legal issues, you have to mount the 'game.cue' included in the folder, but at least they gave you the music at all unlike Steam.

I bought it and I confirm first-hand - the games utilize dosbox, no source ports included.

Cyanosis said:

Due to legal issues, you have to mount the 'game.cue' included in the folder, but at least they gave you the music at all unlike Steam.

Yeah, Sponge (Quake Live developer) explained it to me yesterday. It's not a big problem though - I just mounted the image and the soundtrack worked like a charm :)

Avoozl said:

What about the expansions, why haven't they yet included them?

What expansions? Quake's expansions are included (with soundtracks!)

Cyanosis said:

I'm curious - "legal" issues? Anything that's okay to talk about?

WildWeasel said:

I'm curious - "legal" issues? Anything that's okay to talk about?

I assume it's something about the soundtrack having to be distributed solely with the game data, not separately. That's why they gave the whole CD image instead of .ogg tracks, which can be played in modern Quake source ports without the need of the CD

Cyanosis said:

It was using Plutonia's automap names and intermissions.

I never noticed it until now! This means I had understood TNT's plot WRONG!!!

Also, the GOG's DOOM release (any game) sometimes doesn't refresh the screen properly when in the menu (the game itself works fine). It doesn't scale the screen size to match my monitor either. None of those issues are present in the Steam release. I know it doesn't matter as the majority of us use source ports anyway, but still something worth mentioning.

PsychoGoatee said:

Would've been cool if they included No Rest For The Living too, but alas.

That sure would. But since they went with the DOS version, they would have to patch the DOOM.EXE for it. Certainly possible, but it's more likely that they would release the BFG edition at some point, I guess.

Gez said:

As Cyanosis said, the Doom II + Final Doom pack on GOG also contains the Master Levels.

They really should put that to the title, and not buried under the story text.

Kind of off topic, but kind of on; something I've wondered about in the past is that since ID became part of Zenimax, who took the rights for Heretic and HeXen? ZeniMax or Activision.

Vermil said:

Kind of off topic, but kind of on; something I've wondered about in the past is that since ID became part of Zenimax, who took the rights for Heretic and HeXen? ZeniMax or Activision.

Apparently, the deal is this:

Heretic: Shadow - Bethesda
Heretic II: Activision
Hexen - Bethesda
Hexen: Deathkings - Bethesda
Hexen II - Bethesda
Hexen II: Portals of Praevus - Activision

The idea is that stuff originally published by id software went to Bethesda, while the stuff Raven originally published with Activision remained there. That's why you cannot find Portals of Praevus, Heretic II, or Wolfenstein 2009 for sale on Steam anymore.